Jeremy

Default Getting half-decent sounds from a pile of junk...

Hi folks

I'd be grateful for any thoughts re how I might get the best sound out
of the following 'junk' (some of which currently comprises my audio
system... far more info here than needed prob but want to cover
bases!):

ANCIENT Sanyo G2608N briefcase 3-in-1 stereo with 2W/Ch amp (10% THD)
and 2 10cm 2W 4ohm speakers

phillips portable (amp prob dead) with

2x 2W 8ohm spkrs (surrounds)
2x 4W 4ohm spkrs (mains)
1x 8ohm spkr (woofer/sub - 8W nom, 15W max)

budget stereo tv with left/right audio in/out (2 16ohm 4W spkrs)

Marshall guitar amp (ok this ain't junk and I don't want to rip it
apart really but if the potential fidelity warrants it I'd reconsider)
with specs etc:

- Power: 2x75W RMS into 8ohms

- R and L loudspkr connections (min 8ohm) (currently the amp's inbuilt
spkrs [specs: two custom celestion 100W 12" 8ohm] connected here)

- right and left line outs (level: -10dBV, and 'recommended for
connection to inputs with input impedance 20Kohm')

- headphone out

- guitar input [impedance: 1Mohm (M not m!)]

- valve-drive pre-amp (one ECC83 dual triode)

JVC DR-E300BK mini system with specs etc:

- standard spkr connections: 2R, 2L with "caution - rated speaker
impedance 8ohm" warning nearby (speakers mentioned below connected
here)

- surround speaker connections: R and L with "caution - rated speaker
impedance 16ohm" warning nearby (nothing currently connected)

- L and R 'video sound out'

- L and R CD and 'video aux' in

It HAD 2 3-way spkrs wired thus:
____________________________________

to amp to amp |
| | |
| | |
|--woofer--| |
| | |
| = 3.3 microfarad cap |
| | |
| | |
|---mid----| |
| | |
|___twee___| |
ter |

-------------------------------------

On the spkr front panel is written "power handling capacity 40W/80W
(music)" and "impedance 8ohms". Mids and ONE of the others also have
8ohm stamped on them... but I've unplugged the mids as I damaged a
cone so have a good spare mid floating around too.

I'm ignorant about pretty much everything on this front so any advice
gratefully received! Any basic principles that might help me put this
stuff to best use also welcome... I have a dvd player so suggestions
re home theatre spkrs would be great!

Cheers

Jeremy Martin
(New Zealand)