Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Polk db400 as front speakers for a '95 renault twingo.

Hello, I have a '95 twingo, which seems to mount 4inch speakers at the
front. There are some ratty boss 6x9 behind, the previous owner took
off the HU, and there are no-name tweeters mounted over the dash, near
the left&right mirrors.

I'm buying something like a Pioneer deh-3850 for it, and planning on
using the polks as front speakers, feeding them from the HU. The front
tweeters will be ignored.

I'll use the FIE function of the pioneer HU (for what I've seen a low
pass filter selectable from 50-250 hz) on the rear speakers, using them
minimally for rear fill and bass. That'll get me thru until phase 2.

Phase 2: a small amp, and a high quality 8' or 10' sub between the
mounted 6x9s. If I find a 4-channel amp, power the polks from it. I'll
keep the 6x9 from the head unit, or unplug them.

The polks specifications are he
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SPjeh9B...400&i=107DB400.

I'm not interested in SPL, nor in booming bass, but I'd like to get as
much quality I can. Music clarity is a must. Off the top of my head, I
like Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Mecano, AC/DC, The Cure, Santana,
Clapton, Nirvana, Rammstein. Some classical and a gathering of jazz &
world music.

I'd prefer not to modify my car now; I'm not a handyman, and local
shops can be hit and miss.

Does this seem reasonable to you? Comments, suggestions, ideas, flames,
etc welcome!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

FIRST THE GOOD:
Your strategy is sound: do it in stages, don't rush it and make sacrifices
in the push to put it all together at once. I think your priorities are in
order, also. Focus first on the HU and the front speakers, then worry about
a subwoofer. I agree with your decision NOT to use those cheap tweeters and
I agree that those Boss 6x9's should make adequate rear-fill speakers.

NOW THE BAD:
My only concern is with your choice of front speakers, the Polks. Polks
make very good speakers, of course, but 4" drivers for your fronts is
frankly inadequate. Even the VERY BEST 4" drivers just can't move enough
air to produce the midbass (70Hz-200Hz) necessary for even moderate volumes
(forget about playing loud). This will mean you would have to have them
crossed over at a rather high-frequency (let's say 150 Hz) if you wish to
eventually amp them and play them at moderate to high volume levels. This
will tend to pull ALL YOUR BASS towards the rear (low bass is difficult to
localize, but I assure you midbass is easy to localize), which is not good.

Did you already buy these Polks? If not, I would reconsider this purchase
or take them back. It is fairly easy to enlarge a factory speaker hole
(especially if it's in the door, which I hope it is). I have done this many
times, a simple pair of tin-snips is what I use to cut the sheet metal of
the door to enlarge the hole. If at all possible, try to put in 6.5"
speakers. This size speaker is just large enough to give you good, strong
midbass in the crucial 70Hz-150Hz region.

This is truly the very best advice I can give you, and I have NO DOUBT that
in the long term this will improve the overall soundstage of your vehicle.

Good luck,

MOSFET

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Hi, thanks for commenting!

NOW THE BAD:
My only concern is with your choice of front speakers, the Polks. Polks
make very good speakers, of course, but 4" drivers for your fronts is
frankly inadequate. Even the VERY BEST 4" drivers just can't move enough
air to produce the midbass (70Hz-200Hz) necessary for even moderate volumes
(forget about playing loud). This will mean you would have to have them
crossed over at a rather high-frequency (let's say 150 Hz) if you wish to
eventually amp them and play them at moderate to high volume levels. This
will tend to pull ALL YOUR BASS towards the rear (low bass is difficult to
localize, but I assure you midbass is easy to localize), which is not good.

Mmhh.. I hadn`t thought on that, I was complacent with bass
non-directionality, but if I have to cut 'em at 150-200Hz, I see your
point... :\

Did you already buy these Polks? If not, I would reconsider this purchase
or take them back. It is fairly easy to enlarge a factory speaker hole
(especially if it's in the door, which I hope it is). I have done this many
times, a simple pair of tin-snips is what I use to cut the sheet metal of
the door to enlarge the hole.

Nah, the car is *very* basic (compact monovolume hatchback, no A/C, no
electric windows, etc). There are no provisions for speakers in the
door, only for 4' speakers behind the dash (I have to take off the
entire dash to access them, I still don`t know what it has mounted now.
Judging by the rear speakers and tweeters, nothing that would blow my
socks off).

I'm very bad with my hands, and local custom houses cost a bit too
much; they cater to the rice car market, and price tag seems to be a
part of the bling, so I was trying to avoid car modifications.

If at all possible, try to put in 6.5"
speakers. This size speaker is just large enough to give you good, strong
midbass in the crucial 70Hz-150Hz region.

Mmhhh... but I need an amplifier to drive 'em, not? I donīt see the HU
giving more than 20-25 rms per channel...

I'll still get the polks, at least to get basic sound now (I'm
soundless, and long trips are *boring*). I'm keeping in mind your
point, and look forward to upgrade them after I get the amplifier. I'll
take off the door panels and look at how much space/structure I or an
installer have to work with.

This is truly the very best advice I can give you, and I have NO DOUBT that
in the long term this will improve the overall soundstage of your vehicle.

Good luck,

Many thanks!!