Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rusty Rusty is offline

Default reel to reel problems

I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this? The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.

Rusty

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Rusty" wrote ...
I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this?
The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.

Likely all the rubber needs replacing. Belts, pucks,
pinch roller, etc. etc. etc. Good luck. Maybe you
can find a 3rd party kit of new rubber parts, but I
wouldn't bet any money on it.

What does "stuck" mean? Needle doesn't move?
Needle is stationary at some point mid-scale?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rusty Rusty is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Rusty" wrote ...
I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this?
The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.

Likely all the rubber needs replacing. Belts, pucks,
pinch roller, etc. etc. etc. Good luck. Maybe you
can find a 3rd party kit of new rubber parts, but I
wouldn't bet any money on it.

What does "stuck" mean? Needle doesn't move?
Needle is stationary at some point mid-scale?

the needle is stuck mid point. thanks for your help and friendly advice
at rec.audio.pro

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Rusty" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this? The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.

**Buy a service manual. Some of the old reel to reel machines are mechanical
nightmares. I don't have a manual on your specific machine, but I glanced at
some models available at the same time. There's a reason why they run to
more than 100 pages. BTW: If it is a belt problem, then it is far more
likely to run slow. Sticking needles is the least of your problems.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Rusty wrote:
I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for
$4. It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this?
The rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt
problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty

The most likely mechanical problem for running too fast is simply the speed
control is set wrong, or the idler associated with it is stuck at one
position due to bad lubrication.
Another possibility is the tape is threaded incorrectly, or the pinch roller
not moving into place correctly (another lubrication problem).
Meters stuck can wait - the meters themselves are bad. A knowledgeable
person could maybe repair them, but as another poster has said - this is the
least of your problems right now.

Mark Z.