Gene

Default Tube curves in excel format.

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Ian Iveson

"Gene" wrote

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?

Nice job, thanks!

Assembling the data is the tiresome part of producing spice models
via regression.

Where does your data come from?

It would be more useful if operating conditions were noted. For
example, the HT voltage used for the rp/ip data. Perhaps I just
can't find it.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Gene wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98,
which a lot of gizas are still using.

Always post images, and non text info
in simple old formats which have been around for a long time,
unless you know all the recipients have the latest software.

Patrick Turner.

- - : R A T B o y : - -

"What you talkin' about, Willis?" I use '98 w/ Office 2000 & it worked fine
for me.

Patrick, I think you meant Office '95 or Office '97 can't show it. Windows
'95 can run all but Office XP and Office 2003. Windows '98 can run all but
Office 2003. Don't believe me?... check the MS-Office website.

No offense intended... you may be the R.A.T expert, but leave the Office
wisdom to us Appz Giza's. Now, Gene... recreate that thing in Lotus 1-2-3
format or a WP5 table (jk jk).

Gregg

Behold, Patrick Turner scribed on tube chassis:

Gene wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98, which a lot of
gizas are still using.

Always post images, and non text info in simple old formats which have
been around for a long time, unless you know all the recipients have the
latest software.

Patrick Turner.

I use OpenOffice on Linux and can open it just fine :-)

Pat, go to http://www.openoffice.org and grab the 100% free office suite
of theirs - you won't regret it ;-)

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Patrick Turner

Gene wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98, which a lot of
gizas are still using.

Always post images, and non text info in simple old formats which have
been around for a long time, unless you know all the recipients have the
latest software.

Patrick Turner.

I use OpenOffice on Linux and can open it just fine :-)

Pat, go to http://www.openoffice.org and grab the 100% free office suite
of theirs - you won't regret it ;-)

I'd like to accept your advice, but when I read the 256 kb pdf review
of OpenOffice, I couldn't understand one single sentence,
except that a page break could be inserted where it cannot be done elsewhere.

And its 83MB.

I am wondering whether its worth using for my everyday simple uses.

Patrick Turner.

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*

RdM

Patrick Turner in
. au:

: ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls
:
: Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98, which a lot of
: gizas are still using.

Just type "free excel viewer" into Google ...
Patrick Turner

RdM wrote:

Patrick Turner in
. au:

: ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls
:
: Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98, which a lot of
: gizas are still using.

Just type "free excel viewer" into Google ...

I tried downloading a 256kb viewing program
from 2 sites that failed to work, and the 3rd
downloaded but wouldn't open when double clicked,
since I have a problem someplace with .pdf files sometimes but not always.
So I uninstalled it.
I don't think I'll bother persuing that idea of yours.

Patrick Turner

Gene

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Gene wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98,
which a lot of gizas are still using.

Always post images, and non text info
in simple old formats which have been around for a long time,
unless you know all the recipients have the latest software.

Patrick Turner.

Good point, Pat!
I forgot to do a "save as" and choose an older format.
I could also save as a comma delimited file, but you would
have to re-create the charts.

I will post when I have more.
-Gene

Gene

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
. ..
"Gene" wrote

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?

Nice job, thanks!

Assembling the data is the tiresome part of producing spice models
via regression.

Where does your data come from?

It would be more useful if operating conditions were noted. For
example, the HT voltage used for the rp/ip data. Perhaps I just
can't find it.

cheers, Ian

Thanks, Ian!
The source was a scan of the RCA HB-3 data sheet.
I used a freeware program called Plot Digitizer that I found on the
web page of the University of South Alabama.
http://www.southalabama.edu/physics/...e/software.htm

Heater voltage was nominal, I will note that in future plots.
Any other data missing?
Regards,
Gene

Patrick Turner

Gene wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?
-Gene

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98,
which a lot of gizas are still using.

Always post images, and non text info
in simple old formats which have been around for a long time,
unless you know all the recipients have the latest software.

Patrick Turner.

Good point, Pat!
I forgot to do a "save as" and choose an older format.
I could also save as a comma delimited file, but you would
have to re-create the charts.

I will post when I have more.
-Gene

I managed to download Microsoft Reader, which is supposed to help.
But after trying to open the above address, nothing happened.

But isn't this address plain wrong?
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Doesn't it have to start with http://www.?

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

Gene wrote:

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
. ..
"Gene" wrote

Comments, anyone? Is this useful?

Nice job, thanks!

Assembling the data is the tiresome part of producing spice models
via regression.

Where does your data come from?

It would be more useful if operating conditions were noted. For
example, the HT voltage used for the rp/ip data. Perhaps I just
can't find it.

cheers, Ian

Thanks, Ian!
The source was a scan of the RCA HB-3 data sheet.
I used a freeware program called Plot Digitizer that I found on the
web page of the University of South Alabama.
http://www.southalabama.edu/physics/...e/software.htm

THis looked promising, so I downloaded it.
Trouble is when i tried to double click this .zip stuff to get it to
start
up, I get the error notice saying file does not start with *%pdf,
and it won't start.

And so another program not programmed to install sensibly was
deleted.....

Patrick Turner.

Heater voltage was nominal, I will note that in future plots.
Any other data missing?
Regards,
Gene

mick

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:29:01 +1000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

I managed to download Microsoft Reader, which is supposed to help.
But after trying to open the above address, nothing happened.

But isn't this address plain wrong?
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Doesn't it have to start with http://www.?

The address is fine, Patrick. It is an ftp server so it doesn't follow the
same rules! I managed to get the file from there and open it in OpenOffice
so it works!

Try just cut & paste into the address line of your open browser. It should
start the download.

I don't know about M$ Reader - It won't run on this linux box! :-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Patrick Turner

mick wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:29:01 +1000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

I managed to download Microsoft Reader, which is supposed to help.
But after trying to open the above address, nothing happened.

But isn't this address plain wrong?
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Doesn't it have to start with http://www.?

The address is fine, Patrick. It is an ftp server so it doesn't follow the
same rules! I managed to get the file from there and open it in OpenOffice
so it works!

I can enter that address and it goes somewhere, and a window
offers me save or open it, and when i save it, it can't be opened
automatically
by highlighting the title and double clicking.

Try just cut & paste into the address line of your open browser. It should
start the download.

I don't know about M$ Reader - It won't run on this linux box! :-)

I doubt I'll ever use MS reader. It installed ok, but i could not understand
the first
help item, how to navigate with MSR.

When Bill Gates comes around for dinner next week,
I'll sit him down with nice big bowl of stale dogfood.

I have not the time to spend days getting BS to work on a PC.

Once installed, it must just work; no fuc round, simple simple,
or I just tune out.

Patrick Turner

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

mick

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:20:42 +1000, Patrick Turner wrote:

mick wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:29:01 +1000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

I managed to download Microsoft Reader, which is supposed to help.
But after trying to open the above address, nothing happened.

But isn't this address plain wrong?
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls

Doesn't it have to start with http://www.?

The address is fine, Patrick. It is an ftp server so it doesn't follow the
same rules! I managed to get the file from there and open it in OpenOffice
so it works!

I can enter that address and it goes somewhere, and a window
offers me save or open it, and when i save it, it can't be opened
automatically
by highlighting the title and double clicking.

That is because you haven't got a default application for xls files. Try
using "Open With..." and selecting Acrobat Reader - I assume you have that?

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Patrick Turner

mick wrote:

[...]

Often things that i try to open or download only offer
save in, or open, with no other options.
Sometimes I click either choice, hard drive rattles, something goes on,
then nothing, and I have no clue what happened to it.

If I save it, then try to open, it cannot be opened.

If when using the PC, and something does not just work,
then I must decide is it worth it for me to work for the PC
or insist the PC work for me.
I always take the latter course, because I have not the spare days and weeks to
sort out
PC troubles.
If it don't work, **** it, and i move on,
happy with 95% success, and to hell with the oddball 5%.

Patrick Turner.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

mick

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:56:29 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

Often things that i try to open or download only offer
save in, or open, with no other options.
Sometimes I click either choice, hard drive rattles, something goes on,
then nothing, and I have no clue what happened to it.

If I save it, then try to open, it cannot be opened.

Lol! Yep - been there, done that...

Acrobat Reader is probably one of the most useful pieces of software.
Many, many text documents use it - the ones with .pdf on the end. The
latest version (7?) does a lot more, I am told (not got it myself yet). It
is *well worth* having and, IIRC, it will set itself up as the default for
pdf files. http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Another piece of software that I can't recommend too highly is for viewing
pictures - just about all picture formats. http://www.irfanview.com/
This is brilliant. It can even take plug-ins to handle movies, sounds, cad
drawings - all sorts. Oh, and its free! Just one problem for me - it runs
on just about all versions of Windows but it doesn't run on linux :-(

If you are having trouble with the system not reading zip files (I think
you mentioned something about that earlier) try FreeZip - looks local to
you. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Patrick Turner

mick wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:56:29 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

Often things that i try to open or download only offer
save in, or open, with no other options.
Sometimes I click either choice, hard drive rattles, something goes on,
then nothing, and I have no clue what happened to it.

If I save it, then try to open, it cannot be opened.

Lol! Yep - been there, done that...

Acrobat Reader is probably one of the most useful pieces of software.
Many, many text documents use it - the ones with .pdf on the end. The
latest version (7?) does a lot more, I am told (not got it myself yet). It
is *well worth* having and, IIRC, it will set itself up as the default for
pdf files. http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I have acrobat reader.
Yeah, I like it as something ppl convey a whole package of info.
Just sometimes it don't work out, it stuffs up, it says "Nope",
or things just dissappear entirely.......

Another piece of software that I can't recommend too highly is for viewing
pictures - just about all picture formats. http://www.irfanview.com/
This is brilliant. It can even take plug-ins to handle movies, sounds, cad
drawings - all sorts. Oh, and its free! Just one problem for me - it runs
on just about all versions of Windows but it doesn't run on linux :-(

I had an early version of Irfanview, and it was terrific for
creating line images as gifs, which is great for schematics and sketches.

Later when I moved from W95 to W98 in a "new" box, I tried to get Irfanview
again,
and it promptly infested every single image file I without me asking,
with its icon in front of each name, so I uninstalled it
for being so naughty. But it wouldn't uninstall properly, so i had to
re-instal
W98 again.
If I need a gif, I get a bmp, jpg, whatever, and put it on a floppy,
back to the old box, open in old version of IFv, and create the gif, then
pedal back with floppy to the new box and place the gif where I want it.

I don't know if the latest IFv do the same sort of thing,
but I wouldn't want it if it did.

I prefer to be a minimalist and I like things simple.

But I have ArcSoftPhotoShop as the program that came with my
scanner 3 years ago, and I can create good jpgs of
hand drawn sketches and schematics, and after
enhancing contrast and brightness each +10% after scanning
to remove most greyness, reducing size to 680 x 480 pixels, sharpening
lightly,
the image is legible if printed and the image fills a screen
without much scrolling, and as a jpg it doesn't seem to be a much bigger
file than a jpg.
I use jpgs for photo images.
I hardly use Irfanview any more.

If you are having trouble with the system not reading zip files (I think
you mentioned something about that earlier) try FreeZip - looks local to
you. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/

Zipping and unzipping remains a bit of a mystery, and i really only
trust myself when going for a leak, ( and i don't mean
fetching a leak amp )
Some things don't work out with unzipping, and its in the 5%
that wasn't meant to happen.
I think I have an unzipper, cos somethings "unzip".
Would you let a stranger unzip you?
I'm afraid I am somewhat coy.
If some damn thing won't auto open after a double click
I loose interest fast.

I don't like working for the pc.
It must work for me.

Patrick Turner.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

mick

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:44:09 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

snip
Later when I moved from W95 to W98 in a "new" box, I tried to get Irfanview
again,
and it promptly infested every single image file I without me asking,
with its icon in front of each name, so I uninstalled it
for being so naughty. But it wouldn't uninstall properly, so i had to
re-instal
W98 again.

It sounds like you accepted the default of associating IrfanView with all
picture files during installation. IIRC that is an option (there are
lots of little tick boxes for the different file types) and you can use
its setup menu to change the associations while the program is installed
anyway. I can't check the latest version, unfortunately! One of the few
problems of being exiled in Linux land!

snip

I don't like working for the pc.
It must work for me.

Yep! Sometimes you need to do just that bit for it though. Otherwise it
won't be as easy to use as it could be!

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

RdM

Patrick Turner in
. au:
:
:
: RdM wrote:
:
: Patrick Turner in
: . au:
:
: : ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/genet/5751.xls
: :
: : Its useless because you can't open it with W95, W98, which a lot of
: : gizas are still using.
:
: Just type "free excel viewer" into Google ...
:
: I tried downloading a 256kb viewing program
: from 2 sites that failed to work, and the 3rd
: downloaded but wouldn't open when double clicked,
: since I have a problem someplace with .pdf files sometimes but not always.

WTF have PDF files got to do with Excel xls spreadsheets ... ?

: So I uninstalled it.
: I don't think I'll bother persuing that idea of yours.
:
: Patrick Turner
:
:

RdM

Patrick Turner in
. au:

: Just type "free excel viewer" into Google ...
:
: I tried downloading a 256kb viewing program
: from 2 sites that failed to work, and the 3rd
: downloaded but wouldn't open when double clicked,
: since I have a problem someplace with .pdf files sometimes but not always.
: So I uninstalled it.
: I don't think I'll bother persuing that idea of yours.

The first hits (with or without the quotes) are directly to Microsoft, who
provide a free "viewer" for Excel, just as they do for Word.
Can't comment on even their downloads "not working" but maybe you just struck
a bit of net congestion ... or maybe you lose it at the install stage ...

Maybe, not given to simulation, you wouldn't persue the result anyway ...
RdM

Patrick Turner ...

: The source was a scan of the RCA HB-3 data sheet.
: I used a freeware program called Plot Digitizer that I found on the
: web page of the University of South Alabama.
: http://www.southalabama.edu/physics/...e/software.htm
:
:
: THis looked promising, so I downloaded it.
: Trouble is when i tried to double click this .zip stuff to get it to
: start
: up, I get the error notice saying file does not start with *%pdf,
: and it won't start.

Have you any idea what these 3 letter (.zip, .pdf etc.) 'extensions' imply?

: And so another program not programmed to install sensibly was
: deleted.....

And so another program that the installer had no idea what he was doing with
it was un-necessarily deleted after download ... what a waste of time & space

: Patrick Turner.

I suggest you get a few clues about your computer and its operating system.
I don't mean to be unkind, and I'd happily offer you some, but you seem so
convinced there can be no fault at your end that it is a challenge to begin...

Let's see ...

"file does not start with *%pdf" implies that Adobe Acrobat Reader (or
Acrobat) has been used to open the file, or, if you used Windows Exploder er
Expolere er Explorer to attempt to open it, as likely, that *somehow*, ".zip"
files have been *"associated"* ERRONEOUSLY with Acrobat instead of whatever;
commonly WinZip but possibly other programs the appropriate program ...

Winzip would likely be the appropriate program ... it's freely available.

..zip files should be ASSOCIATED with - ie they should "call" - an appropriate
program - to unzip them. Often what is unzipped is a further compressed set of
installation files, which will be uncompressed and installed with a "setup" ie
"setup.exe" program ... sometimes this process can be automatic, if the
software developer deployed it with a smart installer, and sometimes it is
right down to a manual unzip, inspect the resulting files in the *chosen* &or
temp directory, read the "README" file, take the blue pill,- er, I mean, at
least look at what you are getting, proposing to install, and any f'ing
instructions on how to install, and look for them;- but ...

To check your file associations ... and alter them ...

I'm writing from a Win98SE platform ... if that is close, try this:

Right (or if you are left-handed, do the "other" ) click on "My Computer", and
choose "Explore". On the menu bar, click 'View' then at the bottom 'Folder
Options'.

Click on the "File Types" tab ... wait ...

[unfinished ...]
Patrick Turner

RdM wrote:

Patrick Turner ...

[...]

I don't have time to become an expert with a PC.
I try to stick with triodes etc.

I don't have time to work for my PC:
it must work for me, so everything must be automatic and
self installing, and easy without having to remember a shirtload of stuff;
that's the pc's job to get it right, not mine, and pity help the nerd who
presents me with stuff a dummy can't understand.

So if ppl wanna send me stuff to peruse about tube craft, they better
make sure it will work without any special program.

I just installed ZipMagic, maybe it will open the
pdf thinges ppl send me that won't open.

And no need to say it'll only take me minutes to learn something,
usually it takes far longer, and each and every single little step must be spoon
fed
or I never will get it.

Its 2.40 am and I am still trying to talk tubes to those wanting to,
so the pc lessons are on the back burner.
I talked to the GOT about a 48 hour day, just for me, but he
declined me, and said if I wanted two lives in one I'd have to
speak to the Devil, and there is the matter of the custody of my soul,
which would be another darn sticking point......

Sorry to be so dumb about pcs.

Shoot Bill Gates when you see him will ya?
He just forgot to make it easy.....

Patrick Turner.

Sander deWaal

Patrick Turner said:

I don't have time to work for my PC:
it must work for me, so everything must be automatic and
self installing, and easy without having to remember a shirtload of stuff;
that's the pc's job to get it right, not mine, and pity help the nerd who
presents me with stuff a dummy can't understand.

Then get a Mac (really!).

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Patrick Turner

Sander deWaal wrote:

Patrick Turner said:

I don't have time to work for my PC:
it must work for me, so everything must be automatic and
self installing, and easy without having to remember a shirtload of stuff;
that's the pc's job to get it right, not mine, and pity help the nerd who
presents me with stuff a dummy can't understand.

Then get a Mac (really!).

I hear good things about Macs.

Too busy, do much. Can't uptake
every advantageous life option.
Life too short. Over and out.

Patrick Turner.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:26:31 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Too busy, do much. Can't uptake
every advantageous life option.

You intermittently amaze me with yer frikkin poetry, mon.
Way to be,

Chris Hornbeck
"Don't panic."