Posted to rec.audio.tech
Marianne Marianne is offline

Default RAM TO WAV

Is there a way to convert a ram to a wav??

Marianne

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:20:36 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

All you can do is request the audio stream and record it as it plays.

Software like Total Recorder is good for recording as streaming audio plays.

As is just about any other wav recorder.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Jeff Findley" wrote:
Software like Total Recorder is good for recording
as streaming audio plays.

As is just about any other wav recorder.

Only if the audio hardware allows recording from the
stereo mix. Else there would be no market for Total
Recorder, et.al.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:54:10 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

As is just about any other wav recorder.

Only if the audio hardware allows recording from the
stereo mix. Else there would be no market for Total
Recorder, et.al.

I suppose there might be a computer soundcard that didn't allow "What
You Hear" as Record Input. I've never come across one. Which
explains why I've sometimes wondered just why there WAS a need for
Total Recorder :-)

(Stand by for a list of really crap soundcards :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

As is just about any other wav recorder.

Only if the audio hardware allows recording from the
stereo mix. Else there would be no market for Total
Recorder, et.al.

I suppose there might be a computer soundcard that didn't allow "What
You Hear" as Record Input. I've never come across one. Which
explains why I've sometimes wondered just why there WAS a need for
Total Recorder :-)

(Stand by for a list of really crap soundcards :-)

OTOH, until only the last year or so, it was rare that
I encountered one that HAD that feature.
Clearly YMMV

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 12:02:03 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

I suppose there might be a computer soundcard that didn't allow "What
You Hear" as Record Input. I've never come across one. Which
explains why I've sometimes wondered just why there WAS a need for
Total Recorder :-)

(Stand by for a list of really crap soundcards :-)

OTOH, until only the last year or so, it was rare that
I encountered one that HAD that feature.
Clearly YMMV

What were you using? I take it we're talking about the sort of card
a consumer might encounter? Anyone using higher-end stuff would have
plenty of external routing options of course.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

I suppose there might be a computer soundcard that didn't allow
"What
You Hear" as Record Input. I've never come across one. Which
explains why I've sometimes wondered just why there WAS a need for
Total Recorder :-)

(Stand by for a list of really crap soundcards :-)

OTOH, until only the last year or so, it was rare that
I encountered one that HAD that feature.
Clearly YMMV

What were you using?

A wide varitey (scores) of different sound cards and/or
sound chips on motherboards, etc. etc. etc.

I take it we're talking about the sort of card a consumer
might encounter? Anyone using higher-end stuff would
have plenty of external routing options of course.

Alas, I rarely have the option of telling people with
simple consumer sound cards to go pound sand.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 16:39:42 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

What were you using?

A wide varitey (scores) of different sound cards and/or
sound chips on motherboards, etc. etc. etc.

So you can't remember/won't tell which ones couldn't record "what you
hear"?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote...

So you can't remember/won't tell which ones couldn't
record "what you hear"?

Who cares? I certainly don't. It either appears as a
source in the mix or it doesn't.
I can barely get users to find the window with the
check boxes, much less give me the make/model of
their sound subsystem. And even if I did get the
proper identity of the offending hardware, it's not
worth remembering, at least not in my world.

We apparently live in very different environments.
I'm quite comfortable with that and don't see why
it is worth further discussion?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 17:02:07 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

So you can't remember/won't tell which ones couldn't
record "what you hear"?

Who cares? I certainly don't. It either appears as a
source in the mix or it doesn't.
I can barely get users to find the window with the
check boxes, much less give me the make/model of
their sound subsystem. And even if I did get the
proper identity of the offending hardware, it's not
worth remembering, at least not in my world.

We apparently live in very different environments.
I'm quite comfortable with that and don't see why
it is worth further discussion?

No, same world. Same mixture of semi-professional users and complete
beginners, all thinking I can immediately navigate their computer's
menus through a 'phone conversation :-)

I've yet to find a user who couldn't record "what you hear" from their
soundcard, once the switch was pointed out to them. But if such
systems do exist, I'd like to be forewarned. You sounded like you
could help.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
I've yet to find a user who couldn't record "what you hear" from their
soundcard, once the switch was pointed out to them.

You live a charmed life. Don't disturb it. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:21:27 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
I've yet to find a user who couldn't record "what you hear" from their
soundcard, once the switch was pointed out to them.

You live a charmed life. Don't disturb it. :-)

You HAVE disturbed it. But you seem reluctant to share your wider
knowledge.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
I've yet to find a user who couldn't record "what you hear" from
their
soundcard, once the switch was pointed out to them.

You live a charmed life. Don't disturb it. :-)

You HAVE disturbed it. But you seem reluctant to
share your wider knowledge.

I'm not witholding anything. There are so many different
variations of chips, boards, motherboards, drivers, etc.
that I never saw any value in remembering which ones had
a certain feature or not. I just deal with them as they come
as previous experience does not seem to have any particular
benefit, at least that has been my experience. Even the
same hardware will have different features with a newer
version of its driver.

Perhaps if I had a better memory, I might have found it valuable
to remember which had which features? Sorry, I'm not trying
to withold anything, I just don't remember.

I can't help thinking that Total Recorder (and several other
similar products) never would have established any kind of
market if everybody had the built-in feature to record the
stereo mix. And HighCriteria seem to have built up their
business to include several other niche products. I admire
their business plan.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:49:35 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

I can't help thinking that Total Recorder (and several other
similar products) never would have established any kind of
market if everybody had the built-in feature to record the
stereo mix. And HighCriteria seem to have built up their
business to include several other niche products. I admire
their business plan.

Maybe. But people often use programs that merely duplicate Windows
functions with a prettier interface :-) Or even with an inferior
interface. Think of those programs that come with a digital camera.
Many users are amazed to discover they can just drag pictures from
their camera at a folder. And use Windows Picture & Fax viewer to
look at them.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
Maybe. But people often use programs that merely duplicate Windows
functions with a prettier interface :-) Or even with an inferior
interface.

They likely would have had a harder time if the Windows
Sound Recorder wasn't effectively crippled at a 60 second
time limit.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
Maybe. But people often use programs that merely
duplicate Windows functions with a prettier interface
:-) Or even with an inferior interface.

They likely would have had a harder time if the Windows
Sound Recorder wasn't effectively crippled at a 60 second
time limit.

If you know what you are doing, you can work around that apparent limit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote
They likely would have had a harder time if the Windows
Sound Recorder wasn't effectively crippled at a 60 second
time limit.

If you know what you are doing, you can work around
that apparent limit.

Right, that is why I said "effectively". The work-around
is a real kludge and not very friendly to casual users. :-(
What we really need is a patch to the executable to remove
that silly limit. Maybe there is one out there already?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
They likely would have had a harder time if the Windows
Sound Recorder wasn't effectively crippled at a 60 second
time limit.

If you know what you are doing, you can work around that apparent limit.

Why bother when *FAR* better software is available free of charge?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
They likely would have had a harder time if the Windows
Sound Recorder wasn't effectively crippled at a 60
second time limit.

If you know what you are doing, you can work around that
apparent limit.

Why bother when *FAR* better software is available free
of charge?

Hmm, good question for Bill Gates.

Umm, you're caught in the computer equivalent of a desert island?