Bromo

Default Does anyone know of this challenge?

On 4/28/04 8:25 PM, in article oYXjc.9662$RE1.937959@attbi_s54, "Nousaine"
wrote:

Sorry I wasn't a bit more clear. If, as this sire claimed, 8 of 9 amplifiers
could be distinguished from a straight wire when their output was played
through a 2nd amplifier then amplifiers 'different' sounding than a piece of
wire are common.

However, there have been a couple dozen bias-controlled listening tests of
amplifiers which have only found amplifiers with a lack of competence
(frequency response, overload or other operating errors) to sound different
from one another.

So putting these two data set together I would think that all those amplifiers
that sound different from a piece of wire (90%) but do not show up as being
different sounding from each other in other tests must have errors with enough
similarity that they sound like each other even if they don't sound identical
to a piece of wire.

That is a good test, that.

And the source of my amplifier upgrade - the Arcam was not capable of
driving the speakers the way I wanted !

Bromo

On 4/28/04 3:10 PM, in article FkTjc.37648$0u6.6349206@attbi_s03, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

Because the differences were down to easily traceable technical
faults, and while I *could* build an amp which would both meet the
criteria and be instantly identifiable, it would not be within the
*spirit* of the challenge. It would not be a 'superior' high end amp,
but would have some quite horrific colourations (or a very high noise
floor) which are not covered in the entry criteria. I don't see the
point of cheating for its own sake on such a test..........

Dunno ... It all depends on the response the amp has - did he specify the
specification of the amps required for the challenge?

As we discuss and dissect this - the "challenge" can get rather ...
Esoteric.
S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 4/28/2004 12:10 PM Pacific Standard Time

On 27 Apr 2004 23:32:37 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/27/2004 9:55 AM Pacific Standard Time

The choice of speaker system is free to the challenger, so what's your
problem? BTW, electrical measurements are irrelevant, we're talking
about *sound* quality here. Once a difference in *sound* has been
established, it's easy enough to pin it down, because it is IME
*always* tied to a gross technical problem, nothing at all subtle!

Given the fact that you have reported hearing differences between certain
models of amplifiers in your own blind tests, why don't you take the

challenge
and collect the 10K?

Because the differences were down to easily traceable technical
faults,

Clipping? nonlinear frequency response? I don't remember what you said was the
probable cause of the differences you heard.

--

I wouldn't suggest that you or anybody cheat but if memory serves me the amps
in question were ones that are considered to be "competent" by objectivists.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:40:32 GMT, Bromo wrote:

On 4/28/04 12:41 PM, in article w8Rjc.6132$lz5.814689@attbi_s53, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

Moreover, I and those preferring tubes usually are speaking of good old
push-pull tubed amps with reasonably low output impedances. Not the SET's
that you guys love to whup up on.

Indeed, I'd agree that a top-class PP tube amp like the ARC VT100 or
C-J Premier Eight is indistinguishable from any good SS amp, which is
kinda interesting, given all the claims for 'tube magic', which seems
to go away as the tube amp gets better.......................

What about the slew rate of a tube - isn't it slower than most non-switch
mode solid state?

Not necessarily, and slew rate is almost never an issue with music.
Like TID, SRD was a fashionable urban myth of the '70s.

Stewart Pinkerton

Pinkerton" wrote:

Because the differences were down to easily traceable technical
faults, and while I *could* build an amp which would both meet the
criteria and be instantly identifiable, it would not be within the
*spirit* of the challenge. It would not be a 'superior' high end amp,
but would have some quite horrific colourations (or a very high noise
floor) which are not covered in the entry criteria. I don't see the
point of cheating for its own sake on such a test..........

Dunno ... It all depends on the response the amp has - did he specify the
specification of the amps required for the challenge?

Not in detail, and not concerning noise and distortion.

As we discuss and dissect this - the "challenge" can get rather ...
Esoteric.

Not at all, it's simply a means of debunking the myth of 'high end'
amplifiers sounding different from 'mid-fi' amps.

Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/28/2004 12:10 PM Pacific Standard Time

On 27 Apr 2004 23:32:37 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/27/2004 9:55 AM Pacific Standard Time

The choice of speaker system is free to the challenger, so what's your
problem? BTW, electrical measurements are irrelevant, we're talking
about *sound* quality here. Once a difference in *sound* has been
established, it's easy enough to pin it down, because it is IME
*always* tied to a gross technical problem, nothing at all subtle!

Given the fact that you have reported hearing differences between certain
models of amplifiers in your own blind tests, why don't you take the challenge
and collect the 10K?

Because the differences were down to easily traceable technical
faults,

Clipping? nonlinear frequency response? I don't remember what you said was the
probable cause of the differences you heard.

Nonlinear distortions, and drooping treble.

and while I *could* build an amp which would both meet the
criteria and be instantly identifiable, it would not be within the
*spirit* of the challenge. It would not be a 'superior' high end amp,
but would have some quite horrific colourations (or a very high noise
floor) which are not covered in the entry criteria. I don't see the
point of cheating for its own sake on such a test..........
--

I wouldn't suggest that you or anybody cheat but if memory serves me the amps
in question were ones that are considered to be "competent" by objectivists.

Who told you that?

Thomas A

much snipped...

Tom,

I don't think they are saying that every amp has the same errors, but
they can probably be divided into a few "groups". I've not read all
the different tests that have been conducted during the years, but
usually, the amps coming up to be transparent (or very close) are e.g.
NAD 208 THX and Rotel RB 1090.

The recommended list of equipment is he

http://www.lts.a.se/teknik/rekommenderat.html

Although it is in Swedish it is probably not difficult to understand
which components that are "recommended".

Sorry I wasn't a bit more clear. If, as this sire claimed, 8 of 9 amplifiers
could be distinguished from a straight wire when their output was played
through a 2nd amplifier then amplifiers 'different' sounding than a piece of
wire are common.

However, there have been a couple dozen bias-controlled listening tests of
amplifiers which have only found amplifiers with a lack of competence
(frequency response, overload or other operating errors) to sound different
from one another.

So putting these two data set together I would think that all those amplifiers
that sound different from a piece of wire (90%) but do not show up as being
different sounding from each other in other tests must have errors with enough
similarity that they sound like each other even if they don't sound identical
to a piece of wire.

It might be so that many amps have similar errors and that these might
be missed when comparing amps against amps, rather than amps against
wires. However, I think that the goal of the tests differ. If you want
to have an amp capable of playing all sorts of music at realistic
sound levels in your home without audible coloration in 95% of the
speakers (excluding speakers with extreme impedances), many amps would
turn out to be different from each other. Besides
clipping/compression, frequency response errors might be audible. Arny
now has some HP filter experiments with -3 dB varying from 50 Hz down
to 2.5 Hz I believe. By making tests with bypass wire using high-end
subwoofer systems one could tests whether tactile differences exist
among amps without going into any compression/clipping distortion.

Thomas

Norman Schwartz

Pinkerton" wrote:

Moreover, I and those preferring tubes usually are speaking of good

old
push-pull tubed amps with reasonably low output impedances. Not the

SET's
that you guys love to whup up on.

Indeed, I'd agree that a top-class PP tube amp like the ARC VT100 or
C-J Premier Eight is indistinguishable from any good SS amp, which is
kinda interesting, given all the claims for 'tube magic', which seems
to go away as the tube amp gets better.......................

What about the slew rate of a tube - isn't it slower than most non-switch
mode solid state?

Whose tubes? Do you consider all eg., 6550 or 12AX7a to be (and sound) the
same?

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 4/29/2004 9:31 AM Pacific Standard Time

On 29 Apr 2004 03:50:19 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/28/2004 12:10 PM Pacific Standard Time

On 27 Apr 2004 23:32:37 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/27/2004 9:55 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Here is your post on the amps in question.

Stewart said

"I positively identified several amps, the Yamaha
was closest to indistinguishable from the top runners (Krell, Hafler
and Audiolab in this case). The C370 was compared at a later date, to
the same Krell transfer standard. Interestingly, a Mark Levinson 333
also provided a positive result against the Krell, showing similar
treble sharpness. I did not compare Yamaha and Levinson directly, but
that would have been *very* interesting! :-)"

Either you were making positive IDs on amps that are considered 'competent' or
the Mark Levinson 333 and the Yamaha amp are not "competent" amps. Are those
amps exluded from the Clark challenge? Are they or are they not "competent"
amps?

Bromo

On 4/29/04 2:13 PM, in article 0Bbkc.16381$Rd4.1126875@attbi_s51, "Norman
Schwartz" wrote:

Indeed, I'd agree that a top-class PP tube amp like the ARC VT100 or
C-J Premier Eight is indistinguishable from any good SS amp, which is
kinda interesting, given all the claims for 'tube magic', which seems
to go away as the tube amp gets better.......................

What about the slew rate of a tube - isn't it slower than most non-switch
mode solid state?

Whose tubes? Do you consider all eg., 6550 or 12AX7a to be (and sound) the
same?

Nope - just asking generalities - the number of volts moving per unit of
time. I think I heard somewhere the slew rate of a tube is slower than most
solid state - just asking for some confirmation.
Norman Schwartz

Schwartz" wrote:

Indeed, I'd agree that a top-class PP tube amp like the ARC VT100 or
C-J Premier Eight is indistinguishable from any good SS amp, which is
kinda interesting, given all the claims for 'tube magic', which seems
to go away as the tube amp gets better.......................

Sorry to have confused you, my question was directed at the above "tube
magic" idea and not slew rates. I meant to imply that it's possible that the
tubes themselves got better, rather than top-class PP amps. That is to say
how could one ever know, without having listened to vintage equipment using
contemporary tubes and vice versa?

Whose tubes? Do you consider all eg., 6550 or 12AX7a to be (and sound)

the
same?

Nope - just asking generalities - the number of volts moving per unit of
time. I think I heard somewhere the slew rate of a tube is slower than

most
solid state - just asking for some confirmation.

Stewart Pinkerton

Schwartz" wrote:

Indeed, I'd agree that a top-class PP tube amp like the ARC VT100 or
C-J Premier Eight is indistinguishable from any good SS amp, which is
kinda interesting, given all the claims for 'tube magic', which seems
to go away as the tube amp gets better.......................

Sorry to have confused you, my question was directed at the above "tube
magic" idea and not slew rates. I meant to imply that it's possible that the
tubes themselves got better, rather than top-class PP amps. That is to say
how could one ever know, without having listened to vintage equipment using
contemporary tubes and vice versa?

Easy - use NOS tubes.

Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/29/2004 9:31 AM Pacific Standard Time

On 29 Apr 2004 03:50:19 GMT,
(S888Wheel) wrote:

Stewart said

"I positively identified several amps, the Yamaha
was closest to indistinguishable from the top runners (Krell, Hafler
and Audiolab in this case). The C370 was compared at a later date, to
the same Krell transfer standard. Interestingly, a Mark Levinson 333
also provided a positive result against the Krell, showing similar
treble sharpness. I did not compare Yamaha and Levinson directly, but
that would have been *very* interesting! :-)"

Either you were making positive IDs on amps that are considered 'competent' or
the Mark Levinson 333 and the Yamaha amp are not "competent" amps. Are those
amps exluded from the Clark challenge? Are they or are they not "competent"
amps?

The Yamaha has a fair amount of HF IMD, leading to a (slightly) bright
treble, and the ML has a treble peak in the response - very unusual
for an amp of this supposed quality, but perhaps a *deliberate* ploy
to make it sound 'better' than mere mid-fi amps...............

So, in that sense, the Yamaha would meet the Clark criterion, but the
ML might not. However, in the *spirit* of the challenge, both have
readily identifiable deviations from the linear response which is
widely available from other amps. Of course, Tom Nousaine would
challenge my results anyway, and I only did the one series of tests.

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Bromo wrote:

On 4/26/04 1:34 PM, in article zKbjc.41838$IW1.2009846@attbi_s52,

"Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

I agree that is a good use of an end user's time and money - but

still -
if
people claim to hear a difference, it might be good to do the due

diligence
as a scientific sort to see if there is anything to these claims.

Some
have
been made in the past that haven't helped, but some has been made that

did.

That is the exact purpose of the various amp and cable challenges.

The problem is that it is *not* due diligence, but grandstanding rather
loudly !

Real due diligence wopuld involve getting the amplifiers in question and
doing both double blind testing with a variety of speaker systems and a
variety of sonic and electrical measurements.

Not some silly $10k "challenge"

As if that had not already been done. By May of 1990 over 2 dozen
bias-controlled listening tests had been published, none of which showed

that
any amplifier that had matched levels and frequency response had any

"sound" of
its own.

Mr Clark, like other professionals such as me, has been constantly

bombarded
with sometimes simply misguided but often wild shouting about the "sound"

of
amplifiers which have never been verified. This was his way of encouaging

those
who insist on amp-sound to cough up some evidence, prove their case or get

out
of the way.

I think its clever but ultimately self-defeating because keeping the faith
depends heavily on refusing to supply evidence and to keep 'debating' the

issue
and challenges no matter how fair or how possibly rewarding are unlikely

to be
met.
This is because keeping the story or any Urban Legend "alive" depends on a

lack
of scientific investigation (no positive evidence) and diversion (You

haven't
proven that amplifiers don't sound different and Your Tools Aren't Good
Enough.)

So sure, Clark doesn't get many applicants because deep down inside no
Subjectvists is sure enough of himself to step up to the plate. It's much

more
comforting to argue than to prove your case.

SO instead of simply proving his case Mr Lavo suggests a long complicated
experiment which if it doesn't support his hypothesis (supply results

identical
to those gathered under conditions known to encourage common human bias
mechanisms) will be proclaimed to have disqualified all extant evidence.

Its a clever tactic for 2 reasons. First its long, expensive and unlikely

ever be coinducted (certainly not by him) and if it is it has a

pre-determined
outcome. IOW it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Oh yes, I forgot it keeps the
"debate" going.

Sheer Balderdash!!

Had you really followed my oft-repeated discussions of test (latest with
Steven) you would note that I said explicitly that:

1) If the equipment under test were felt by subjectivists to have
differences (and thought not by objectivists) and if the blind vs. sighted
*evaluative* testing showed those differences to go away/be greatly
mitigated by blinding then I would then I would gladly accept blinding with
no reservations (and I further said that if real differences existed then I
expected they would show up even if blinded in the evaluative test).

2) I further said that if the quick-switch comparative blind test showed
the same results as the blind evaluative test, then I would swing over and
support your test as validated.

Pray tell, what fault can you possibly find with a test that allows those
definitive conclusions to be reached (by me, and presumably by many other
subjectivists here.) I would appreciate if you would stop misrepresenting
my point of view. And I am asking the moderators to enforce the "quotation
standard" on both sides, please.

Howard Ferstler

Harry Lavo wrote:

Pinkerton" wrote:

[...]

I have come into this one a bit late, but I do want to
interject my two-cents worth. I mean it is obvious that the
old "amps have a definable sound" argument lives on in
different forms, with different rationalizations, even if
the amps measure the same and are built by competent
designers, and sound the same during blind comparisons.

OK, we read about this amp "sound" thing all the time, both
in manufacturer ads and in enthusiast magazine test reports,
and of course we hear it proclaimed by numerous high-end
boutique sales people.

Certain reviewers are particularly bad. One may get hold of
an esoteric, "super-duper" (and expensive or even
super-expensive) amp, and after discussing its sometimes
arcane features and maybe even doing some rudimentary
measurements (or spouting often bizarre manufacturer
specifications), that reviewer may engage in an almost
poetic monologue regarding its sound quality.

Often, he will do this while comparing it to other units
(expensive and super-expensive) that he has on hand or has
had on hand. He may not "hear" profound differences, but he
rhapsodizes about the subtle ones he does hear.

Comparing the test unit to one he "had on hand" in the past
is of course absurd, particularly when it comes to subtle
differences, because there is no way anyone could do a
meaningful comparison between units that were not set up and
listened to at the same time. However, even when he has
another "reference" unit on hand to compare with the device
being reviewed the confrontation may be seriously flawed,
mainly because levels are not matched and the comparison
procedures are such that quick switching is impossible.

Actually, few of those reviewers who get involved with amp
reviewing do a blind comparison even once at the beginning
of their reviewing careers - just to see just how revealing
it will be of similarities. There is no audio-fun
romanticism to be had in that kind of brass-tacks behavior.
For a lot of people, audio involves a lot more than sound
quality and accurately reproducing input signals.

Interestingly, some "reviewers" go beyond commenting upon
imagined subtle differences and will instead make
proclamations about the vast differences between the amp
under test and one or more reference units. The comments are
often absurd in the extreme, with the commentary going on
and on about soundstaging, depth, focus, transparency,
dynamics, and the like. The problem is that without close,
level-matched comparing, opinions of that kind are not only
a big joke they are also misleading the readers, and
misleading readers, no matter how entertaining the report's
often flowery text, is not the job of a product reviewer.

I have done a fair amount of comparing between amps, using
some pretty good ancillary hardware, and with careful level
matching. Let me tell you that although some amps might be
very, very slightly different sounding from the mainstream
(I found one that did, but shortly after the comparison it
went up in smoke), nobody is going to be able to pinpoint
such differences without doing some very close listening and
precise comparing.

What's more, an amp that does sound a tad different from
mainstream models (here I am talking about some tube units,
particularly single-ended versions) is probably going to not
be as accurate an amplifying device as those others.
Ironically, many of those good performing mainstream amps
can be found contained inside of modestly priced AV
receivers, at places like Best Buy and Circuit City.

OK, now fantasy is sometimes fun and I do not begrudge any
reader who wants to fantasize about his audio components. I
rather enjoy fantasizing myself when I am off line. However,
when reviewing, reviewers should be different. They should
deal with brass tacks and not speculations - even if
speculations make for more poetic literature.

I suppose that enthusiast consumers who want to be involved
with something special feel obligated to spend big bucks so
they can fantasize about how great things sound. Fine for
them, but the sensible consumer will not be self-suckered,
nor should he be duped into overspending on a super-duper
amplifier.

Howard Ferstler

Norman Schwartz

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

OK, now fantasy is sometimes fun and I do not begrudge any
reader who wants to fantasize about his audio components. I
rather enjoy fantasizing myself when I am off line. However,
when reviewing, reviewers should be different. They should
deal with brass tacks and not speculations - even if
speculations make for more poetic literature.

Fantasy, shmantasy. If a reviewer receives remuneration for listening and
reporting on heard differences, what do you expect?
Doesn't occur to anyone other than myself that the industry depends upon
this fantasy. The manufacturers, mags, their editors and contributors,
boutiques, second-hand houses simply would not exist without such fantasy.
Perhaps only Julian Hirsch, may he rest in peace, told it the way it was, is
and must be. All properly functioning pieces of equipment, up to their tasks
sound the same, period, (transducers; e.g.. cartridges and speakers
naturally
excepted.)

Before we even consider giving even tentative consideration to a
speculative only now arm chair testing approach, we need to work from the
established benchmark. The latter is the set of several listening only
tests that show no difference in amps and wire. To attempt to undermine
any of the assumptions on which that benchmark is based, one needs to take
one part of it and hold other parts constant to show results are not
reliable. For example introduce a 1 db level at 1k to see if
differences appear, or have a test to have only short time between samples
vs. no time constraint to see if differences appear, or hide the gear
behind a barrier comparded to having it in full view to see if differences
appear, or use no switching gear but have only connections changed to see
if connections appear, etc.; the aim is to try to force in all ways but
letting the subject know which gear is active.

After all possible considerations were forced and no difference was heard,
we can assume it is the not knowing bit that really makes the difference.
This is the proper way to do the test, by forcing every possible variable
on the test the presumed new speculative arm chair test is supposed to
reveal; not by using the new test but forcing the existing benchmark.
There is also the infinite regression question, by what test do we test
the new test or then that test and then that test etc. in a never ending
series. Use the benchmark we have, poke it, prod it, press it in every
way where a weakness is thought to exist and systemattically exclude every
caution one might have.

[...]

Nousaine

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Full post repeated below.

I fully agree Howard but Mr Lavo tries to claim that controlled listening tests
haven't been "validated" because no one has 'proved' that results don't conform
to those that would otherwise be obtained with long-term open listening. In
other words, if the results don't come to the same conclusions that Mr Lavo has
already decided they remain "un-validated."

This is simply yet another twist similar to the old high-end saw "you haven't
tested every amplifier ever made" so your results are suspect.

I simply offer that bias-controlled listening tests have not validated long
term open-ended evaluated of some opinionists because of the implementation of
well-known and common listening bias elements. And that "open-ended evaluation"
of any length has not been validated as to acoustical cause. To imply that
listening evaluations that are purposely limited to acknowledged acoustical
cause has not been "validated" is just a side-step to avoid facing the fact
that no one has yet shown that amps/cables with known electrical competence
impart any audible difference to system "sound" (which by using transducers has
to be limited by the generation of acoustical sound) when even the most modest
of bias controls (blanket over I/O terminals) have been implemented.

IOW if he can get others (perhaps even himself) to "believe" that the extant
evidence is somehow flawed then he can go on believing his own irrational
conclusions. All this in spite of the complete lack of un-biased controlled
evidence for his own conclusions.

His challenge can be simply stated in a manner similar to this 'show me that
I'd come to the same sonic conclusions if I didn't use bias controls than when
I do and then I'll believe you.' I'd say that on its face the test requires
that I implement all the non-sonic bias mechanisms or supplement/replace them
in some other way in order to obtain the same results.

IOW I'd have to bias the experiment to comply with the expected conclusion that
some how bias-controls "mask" real differences and un-controlled listening with
no bias control mechanisms offer the real "truth" in respect to acoustical
cause.

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Bromo

Pinkerton" wrote:

[...]

Philip Meech

I was just noticing how well I could compensate for my budget speakers
with my Sony and Onkyo home theatre receivers.I am still really enjoying
dipping my toes into tube filled waters off mainland China. It has
reactivated
my sense of gadgeteer romance. I cannot spend $100,000 on stereo
equipment nor would I. I often wonder if reviewers have better ears than
the
rest of us or better imaginations. It is some of the best non fiction
writing in
America. Anyway Howard, you ARE the man.

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

Pinkerton" wrote:

[...]

S888Wheel

From: Howard Ferstler
Date: 5/14/2004 11:01 AM Pacific Standard Time

I have come into this one a bit late, but I do want to
interject my two-cents worth. I mean it is obvious that the
old "amps have a definable sound" argument lives on in
different forms, with different rationalizations, even if
the amps measure the same and are built by competent
designers, and sound the same during blind comparisons.

Do you know of any examples of amps actually measuring "the same" that are
claimed to sound different?

OK, we read about this amp "sound" thing all the time, both
in manufacturer ads and in enthusiast magazine test reports,
and of course we hear it proclaimed by numerous high-end
boutique sales people.

Certain reviewers are particularly bad. One may get hold of
an esoteric, "super-duper" (and expensive or even
super-expensive) amp, and after discussing its sometimes
arcane features and maybe even doing some rudimentary
measurements (or spouting often bizarre manufacturer
specifications),

What would constitute a "bizarre manufacturer'specification?"

that reviewer may engage in an almost
poetic monologue regarding its sound quality.

Nothing wrong with "poetry" in the relm of editorial comment. It is a chosen
form of communication. Some people enjoy it.

Often, he will do this while comparing it to other units
(expensive and super-expensive) that he has on hand or has
had on hand. He may not "hear" profound differences, but he
rhapsodizes about the subtle ones he does hear.

So? Not everyone wants subjective review to be clinical. Some find that boring.
There is nothing wrong with different writers writing editorial with different
styles.

Comparing the test unit to one he "had on hand" in the past
is of course absurd, particularly when it comes to subtle
differences, because there is no way anyone could do a
meaningful comparison between units that were not set up and
listened to at the same time.

That is your opinion. You are entitled to it. But lets get down to the
underlying meaning. Would you say this is true in the case of speakers that
exhibit subtle differences? Are such observations meaningless?

However, even when he has
another "reference" unit on hand to compare with the device
being reviewed the confrontation may be seriously flawed,
mainly because levels are not matched and the comparison
procedures are such that quick switching is impossible.

One does not have to use quich switching to make relevant observations about
what they hear.

Actually, few of those reviewers who get involved with amp
reviewing do a blind comparison even once at the beginning
of their reviewing careers - just to see just how revealing
it will be of similarities.

How do you know what other reviewers have and have not done?

There is no audio-fun
romanticism to be had in that kind of brass-tacks behavior.

Are you saying there is no fun to be had in the "objectivist" approach to
audio?

For a lot of people, audio involves a lot more than sound
quality and accurately reproducing input signals.

Interestingly, some "reviewers" go beyond commenting upon
imagined subtle differences and will instead make
proclamations about the vast differences between the amp
under test and one or more reference units. The comments are
often absurd in the extreme, with the commentary going on
and on about soundstaging, depth, focus, transparency,
dynamics, and the like.

Do you really believe comentary on the characteristics of any given playback
system in terms of imaging soundstage, depth and focus are inherently absurd?
Do you think that comments on a playback system's dynamic range and
transparency are absurd?

The problem is that without close,
level-matched comparing, opinions of that kind are not only
a big joke they are also misleading the readers, and
misleading readers, no matter how entertaining the report's
often flowery text, is not the job of a product reviewer.

The job of a product reviewer is determined by the editorial staff of any given
publication. Not by you.

I have done a fair amount of comparing between amps, using
some pretty good ancillary hardware, and with careful level
matching. Let me tell you that although some amps might be
very, very slightly different sounding from the mainstream
(I found one that did, but shortly after the comparison it
went up in smoke), nobody is going to be able to pinpoint
such differences without doing some very close listening and
precise comparing.

You are unfortunately making universal proclamations based on your personal
experience here. What may be a slight difference to your sensibilities may be a
substantial difference to someone else's sensibilities and what you can or
cannot do in terms of comparing things may or may not be universal.

What's more, an amp that does sound a tad different from
mainstream models (here I am talking about some tube units,
particularly single-ended versions) is probably going to not
be as accurate an amplifying device as those others.
Ironically, many of those good performing mainstream amps
can be found contained inside of modestly priced AV
receivers, at places like Best Buy and Circuit City.

OK, now fantasy is sometimes fun and I do not begrudge any
reader who wants to fantasize about his audio components.

It seems you do IME.

rather enjoy fantasizing myself when I am off line. However,
when reviewing, reviewers should be different. They should
deal with brass tacks and not speculations - even if
speculations make for more poetic literature.

Again, it is up to the editorial staff of the journal to determine what
recviewers should and should not be doing.

I suppose that enthusiast consumers who want to be involved
with something special feel obligated to spend big bucks so
they can fantasize about how great things sound. Fine for
them, but the sensible consumer will not be self-suckered,
nor should he be duped into overspending on a super-duper
amplifier.

Howard Ferstler

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Full post repeated below.

I fully agree Howard but Mr Lavo tries to claim that controlled listening

tests
haven't been "validated" because no one has 'proved' that results don't

conform
to those that would otherwise be obtained with long-term open listening.

In
other words, if the results don't come to the same conclusions that Mr

Lavo has
already decided they remain "un-validated."

Once again, Tom (and moderators), show me one place I ever said any such
thing! Quit putting (erroneous) words in my mouth. You want to challenge
my proposed test, go to the discussion of that test (or bring it here) and
then respond to what I actually said!

[...]

You "offer" that but you don't "offer" the possibility that the test itself
obscures the listening evaluation, which is the whole point of my proposed
test. You assume the result. That is called "faith".

IOW if he can get others (perhaps even himself) to "believe" that the

extant
evidence is somehow flawed then he can go on believing his own irrational
conclusions. All this in spite of the complete lack of un-biased

controlled
evidence for his own conclusions.

Again, show me where I say or imply this. I say or imply that if
subjectivists believe it, objectivists don't believe it, and blinding (while
holding the test technique constant) removes the difference, then I agree
the differences were the result of bias. That is exactly what the control
test is designed to do. You don't like the control test so you keep
implying nefarious motives to me. Ad hoc hominem!

His challenge can be simply stated in a manner similar to this 'show me

that
I'd come to the same sonic conclusions if I didn't use bias controls than

when
I do and then I'll believe you.' I'd say that on its face the test

requires
that I implement all the non-sonic bias mechanisms or supplement/replace

them
in some other way in order to obtain the same results.

Again, repeating the same misstatement of my position over and over does not
make it so. (Moderators, where the hell is the quotation rule! You have
here a direct, mistated quotation in semi-quotes no less. It is wrong and
has never been used or even approximated by me.)

IOW I'd have to bias the experiment to comply with the expected conclusion

that
some how bias-controls "mask" real differences and un-controlled listening

with
no bias control mechanisms offer the real "truth" in respect to acoustical
cause.

Only if you believe your own strawman. Not on my account.

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Bromo

Pinkerton" wrote:

[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:55:55 GMT, Philip Meech
wrote:

I was just noticing how well I could compensate for my budget speakers
with my Sony and Onkyo home theatre receivers.I am still really enjoying
dipping my toes into tube filled waters off mainland China. It has reactivated
my sense of gadgeteer romance. I cannot spend $100,000 on stereo
equipment nor would I. I often wonder if reviewers have better ears than the
rest of us or better imaginations. It is some of the best non fiction writing in
America.

What makes you think it's non-fiction? After all, these guys get
*paid* for 'hearing' differences among audio gear, and reporting them
in colourful prose. Such 'differences' pay their mortgages.......

Do you really *believe* all that guff that Kessler, Fremer et al spout
every month?

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 5/15/2004 10:02 AM Pacific Standard Time

wrote:

I was just noticing how well I could compensate for my budget speakers
with my Sony and Onkyo home theatre receivers.I am still really enjoying
dipping my toes into tube filled waters off mainland China. It has

reactivated
my sense of gadgeteer romance. I cannot spend $100,000 on stereo
equipment nor would I. I often wonder if reviewers have better ears than the
rest of us or better imaginations. It is some of the best non fiction

writing in
America.

What makes you think it's non-fiction?

Editorial is in large part opinion. That is not fiction unless the writer is
lying.

After all, these guys get
*paid* for 'hearing' differences among audio gear, and reporting them
in colourful prose.

Really? Can you cite anyone being fired for reporting that something didn't
sound different? It is one thing to claim that the differences may be imagined.
You are claiming a conspiracy of fraud. Strong charges IMO and something that
needs to be supported with proof. If you are right, then more power to you for
exposing such conspiratorial fraud. But your assertion needs proof IMO.

Such 'differences' pay their mortgages.......

I don't think very many audio journalists pay their mortgages with their income
from reviews.

Do you really *believe* all that guff that Kessler, Fremer et al spout
every month?

Do you believe they are knowingly making stuff up to keep their jobs?
Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

Had you really followed my oft-repeated discussions of test (latest with
Steven) you would note that I said explicitly that:

1) If the equipment under test were felt by subjectivists to have
differences (and thought not by objectivists) and if the blind vs. sighted
*evaluative* testing showed those differences to go away/be greatly
mitigated by blinding then I would then I would gladly accept blinding with
no reservations

To be honest, Harry, I can't recall you ever stating this explicitly before.
I'm not accusing you of being disingenuous here. I'm only suggesting that
perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were.

(and I further said that if real differences existed then I
expected they would show up even if blinded in the evaluative test).

2) I further said thatÂ* if the quick-switch comparative blind test showed
the same results as the blind evaluative test, then I would swing over and
support your test as validated.

Pray tell, what fault can you possibly find with a test that allows those
definitive conclusions to be reached (by me, and presumably by many other
subjectivists here.)Â*

I and others have found numerous faults with it. Purely as a practical
matter, it's impossible to pull off. I even suggested an alternative that
would be far more straightforward, and meets every requirement you have
insisted on, and you rejected that. Under the circumstances, I can
understand Tom's suspicion that you were merely throwing up smoke.

As for the "many other subjectivists here," I think you are being
presumptuous. Finding flaws with bias-controlled tests seems to be part of
what makes one a subjectivist. I see no reason to believe that your test,
even if you could pull it off, would be any different.

bob

download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

"Do you really *believe* all that guff that Kessler, Fremer et al spout
every month?

Do you believe they are knowingly making stuff up to keep their jobs?"

They are fully subject to all the problems of the perception process which
leads them to "hear" that which is not in the signal reaching their ears.
They, like any who make such reports, are only making reports claiming to
be exceptions to the listening alone benchmark testing which shows no
difference in much of the gear they are writing about as they take
keyboard in hand. There is not one shred of evidence they are exceptions
in the least. They do believe in the perceptions they experience, as are
the sincere expressions of others in this regard.

S888Wheel

this challenge?
From: "Bob Marcus"
Date: 5/15/2004 12:42 PM Pacific Standard Time

Harry Lavo wrote:

Had you really followed my oft-repeated discussions of test (latest with
Steven) you would note that I said explicitly that:

1) If the equipment under test were felt by subjectivists to have
differences (and thought not by objectivists) and if the blind vs. sighted
*evaluative* testing showed those differences to go away/be greatly
mitigated by blinding then I would then I would gladly accept blinding with
no reservations

To be honest, Harry, I can't recall you ever stating this explicitly before.
I'm not accusing you of being disingenuous here. I'm only suggesting that
perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were.

(and I further said that if real differences existed then I
expected they would show up even if blinded in the evaluative test).

2) I further said thatÂÂ* if the quick-switch comparative blind test showed
the same results as the blind evaluative test, then I would swing over and
support your test as validated.

Pray tell, what fault can you possibly find with a test that allows those
definitive conclusions to be reached (by me, and presumably by many other
subjectivists here.)ÂÂ*

I and others have found numerous faults with it. Purely as a practical
matter, it's impossible to pull off. I even suggested an alternative that
would be far more straightforward, and meets every requirement you have
insisted on, and you rejected that. Under the circumstances, I can
understand Tom's suspicion that you were merely throwing up smoke.

As for the "many other subjectivists here," I think you are being
presumptuous. Finding flaws with bias-controlled tests seems to be part of
what makes one a subjectivist. I see no reason to believe that your test,
even if you could pull it off, would be any different.

I would think finding flaws with any methodology would be very important to
anyone who thinks they are being scientific about things.

Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

Had you really followed my oft-repeated discussions of test (latest with
Steven) you would note that I said explicitly that:

1) If the equipment under test were felt by subjectivists to have
differences (and thought not by objectivists) and if the blind vs.

sighted
*evaluative* testing showed those differences to go away/be greatly
mitigated by blinding then I would then I would gladly accept blinding

with
no reservations

To be honest, Harry, I can't recall you ever stating this explicitly

before.
I'm not accusing you of being disingenuous here. I'm only suggesting that
perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were.

I said it that explicitly, albeit not that succinctly, here within the last
month. And it was apparent that you, Tom, and others were not reading what
I said at the time, but rather going into a "riff" based on what you think I
said, or thought I would say, or wished I would say. But that is what I
said.

[...]

Your test did not "meet..every requirement I have insisted on". For it
continued to be based on quick swith a-b testing, a technique that is of
itself being questioned as possibly contributing to erroneous conclusions.
That is why I proposed a test that started where the subjectivists
live...with extended evaluative listening, and changed only the condiditon
of "blindness" not the listening techniques themselves. That is why I
rejected the approach as I said at the time. It is inviting in its
simplicity but it would not sway subjectivists including myself because of
this flaw.

As for the "many other subjectivists here," I think you are being
presumptuous. Finding flaws with bias-controlled tests seems to be part of
what makes one a subjectivist. I see no reason to believe that your test,
even if you could pull it off, would be any different.

bob

That's not how I read it/them at all. They may have some differences with
me / my way of thinking, but the main problem they have is the *assumption*
(unverified) that a test that is good for picking out small level
differences in codec artecfact and other known acoustic anomalies is a
suitable technique for open ended evaluation of audio components. Once that
criticism is addressed, I think you will find most objections melt away if
your assumptions prove true. But since the very idea of the test possibly
being flawed is so threatening that even acknowledging the possibility seems
beyond the objectivist ken, there is little movement on either side.
Bromo

wrote:

I was just noticing how well I could compensate for my budget speakers
with my Sony and Onkyo home theatre receivers.I am still really enjoying
dipping my toes into tube filled waters off mainland China. It has
reactivated
my sense of gadgeteer romance. I cannot spend $100,000 on stereo
equipment nor would I. I often wonder if reviewers have better ears than the
rest of us or better imaginations. It is some of the best non fiction writing
in
America.

What makes you think it's non-fiction? After all, these guys get
*paid* for 'hearing' differences among audio gear, and reporting them
in colourful prose. Such 'differences' pay their mortgages.......

Do you really *believe* all that guff that Kessler, Fremer et al spout
every month?

Perhaps you can take a less cynical view - these people review music and
point out what is enjoyable to them as well as things that sound as if they
are recorded and mastered well. They also review equipment that sounds as
if it could reproduce that music either accurately or at least sounding
"good" to them as possible.

When looking to build a system or upgrade an old one - we are unlikely to
try out as much equipment as they look at - so warts and all, it has value.

I would agree that you don't need to and shouldn't swallow everything that
people write or tell you - but heck, that is true in GENERAL, not just for
audio reviewers. Also, from what I can tell, audio journalists are hifi
geeks at heart - enthusiasm for the Next Big Thing is the only fault, if
any, I doubt they go out and try to figure out how to dupe the guy reading
their rag. And just like a movie review - because a reviewer likes it
doesn't mean you will like it.

No need to be an audio curmudgeon !
Nousaine

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

It seems to me the 'threatening' part is validating open-ended uncontrolled
bias evaluation. One should be able to do that easily by showing the ability to
come to the same conclusions under listener-bias controlled conditions
following open-ended evaluation. Why won't you? Why has no one else done so?

What has not been "validated" are the conclusions you gain from non-controlled
open listening as to acoustical cause. To imply that simply removing the sight
of I/O terminals or otherwise hiding the answers somehow changes the acoustics
of the situation (inducing masking) is a misdirection. If on the other hand,
conclusions you hold are simply the result of a myriad of influences many of
which have no acoustical cause why should anyone else but you care?

Regarding the wisdom of testing blind testing:

"I would think finding flaws with any methodology would be very important
anyone who thinks they are being scientific about things.
Commands: Use arrow keys to move, '?' for help, 'q' to quit, '-' to go
back."

Yes, test the elements of blind testing, don't test it by running an
similarilyuntested parallel set of nonblind tests. The only claim for the
latter is that some people have done them for a couple of generations now
so they must have some validity. What test tests the parallel subjective
test and what test tests that test and so on in an infinite series. Poke
and prod and examine the blind test in every way to see if one can make it
stumble, that is the proper approach.

Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Fine, Harry. Whatever you say.

[...]

No, it wasn't. What about "take as long as they want" did you not
understand?

Apparently, the only way you can argue with something is to misrepresent it.

a technique that is of
itself being questioned

....by the uninformed...

as possibly contributing to erroneous conclusions.
That is why I proposed a test that started where the subjectivists
live...with extended evaluative listening, and changed only the condiditon
of "blindness" not the listening techniques themselves.*

Which is exactly what I proposed. In fact, what I proposed was far closer to
what subjectivists actually do, because it would not require them to keep
scoresheets, or to evaluate components based on pre-determined criteria. My
approach would let them listen however they want, for whatever they want,
and then decide which component they prefer.

That is why I
rejected the approach as I said at the time.* It is inviting in its
simplicity but it would not sway subjectivists including myself because of
this flaw.

A good example of a subjectivist concocting a "flaw" out of thin air.

As for the "many other subjectivists here," I think you are being
presumptuous. Finding flaws with bias-controlled tests seems to be part

of
what makes one a subjectivist. I see no reason to believe that your

test,
even if you could pull it off, would be any different.

bob

That's not how I read it/them at all.** They may have some differences with
me / my way of thinking, but the main problem they have is the *assumption*
(unverified) that a test that is good for picking out small level
differences in codec artecfact and other known acoustic anomalies is a
suitable technique for open ended evaluation of audio components.

The unverified assumption here is yours: that the human ear works
differently when comparing sound from high-end components than when
comparing sounds from other sources.

* Once that
criticism is addressed, I think you will find most objections melt away if
your assumptions prove true.* But since the very idea of the test possibly
being flawed is so threatening that even acknowledging the possibility
seems
beyond the objectivist ken, there is little movement on either side.

We've posted our tests. Where are yours? Science is about more than
quibbling over methodology, Harry. It's about actually doing experiments.
Your standing in this debate will rise immeasurably when you actually do
one.

bob

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Again, Tom, you give evidence that you either don't read or don't want to
understand what I say. That is exactly the purpose of the evaluative
sighted-evaluative blind leg of my proposed test. And I just repeated the
reasons for that in the lates post you are just now responding to. Please
re-read paragraph #1 above and tell me what about believing "blind results"
(if they support your position) I am above believing?

What has not been "validated" are the conclusions you gain from

non-controlled
open listening as to acoustical cause. To imply that simply removing the

sight
of I/O terminals or otherwise hiding the answers somehow changes the

acoustics
of the situation (inducing masking) is a misdirection. If on the other

hand,
conclusions you hold are simply the result of a myriad of influences many

of
which have no acoustical cause why should anyone else but you care?

As I have said repeatedly, one casual, undocumented, anecdotal case does not
prove your case, however interesting. There is good reason for starting
with sighted, open-ended evaluative listening...because that is where most
audiophiles and reviewers start and make their judgments. So if that is
erroneous, you have to *prove* it with rigorous testing...and you do that by
doing the exact same test but "blind" instead of sighted. You do not do it
by changing the test technique as well as going blind. My case all along is
that you have switched two variables at once, yet you impute the difference
in results to only one of those variables, while in fact the other variable
may be at fault. How much clearer can I make it!!

Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

It is not only how long they have, but how they have to do the
identification and make the choice...even after three days, they have to use
their left brain in an a-b to make a choice. As opposed to evaluating the
equipment and leaving the evaluation itself lead them to their choice
whether in one hour, one day, or one month...whenever they feel certain they
have a handle on it. Without having to make a separate "choice". Please
reread my origiinal proposal...there is a reason I proposed what I did.

Apparently, the only way you can argue with something is to misrepresent

it.

Not so. I just explained why right above.

a technique that is of
itself being questioned

...by the uninformed...

No, by the very informed.

as possibly contributing to erroneous conclusions.
That is why I proposed a test that started where the subjectivists
live...with extended evaluative listening, and changed only the

condiditon
of "blindness" not the listening techniques themselves.

Which is exactly what I proposed. In fact, what I proposed was far closer

what subjectivists actually do, because it would not require them to keep
scoresheets, or to evaluate components based on pre-determined criteria.

My
approach would let them listen however they want, for whatever they want,
and then decide which component they prefer.

No, it proposes that they have to make a left-brain "choice" as opposed to
an evaluation. Big difference. In my test, I let the statistics make the
"choice"...the audiophile never has to chose...he may prefer one on one
characteristic and the other on another characteristic. If a statistically
significant sampling indicates one way or the other, then that piece of
equipment can be said to "differ" on that characteristic. Regardless of
choice.

That is why I
rejected the approach as I said at the time. It is inviting in its
simplicity but it would not sway subjectivists including myself because

of
this flaw.

A good example of a subjectivist concocting a "flaw" out of thin air.

No, you keep assuming the validity of your test when in fact what is needed
is validation of it before you promulgate it to the world as "the answer".

[...]

No, that the ear-brain combination works differently when asked to evaluate
a components sound on an open-ended basis versus having to choose between
two components in a short timeframe. And my test is exactly designed to
separate the effects of "blindness" from the effects of two different test
techniques. Yours is not.

Once that
criticism is addressed, I think you will find most objections melt away

if
your assumptions prove true. But since the very idea of the test possibly
being flawed is so threatening that even acknowledging the possibility
seems
beyond the objectivist ken, there is little movement on either side.

We've posted our tests. Where are yours? Science is about more than
quibbling over methodology, Harry. It's about actually doing experiments.
Your standing in this debate will rise immeasurably when you actually do
one.

I'm trying to gain enough intellectual support on this forum to spend a year
of my time going to the trouble to set up the control test with Tom, since
it obviously cannot be done by one person but must be done by many. My
taking a test I don't believe in up front would show me nothing at this
point. I said I would do it when it is part of a control test.

And BTW, I have done blind testing in the past on my own, but not
rigorously. And sometimes I can hear differences. And sometimes not. Same
as when testing sighted. But those are anecdotes...I am trying to help the
group see what is needed to scientifically separate the two
variables...comparative/evaluative and blind/non-blind.
Norman Schwartz

"Bromo" wrote in message

Perhaps you can take a less cynical view - these people review music and
point out what is enjoyable to them as well as things that sound as if

they
are recorded and mastered well. They also review equipment that sounds as
if it could reproduce that music either accurately or at least sounding
"good" to them as possible.

(snip)

No need to be an audio curmudgeon !

Many years ago Stereophile recommended the shielded version of a Grado
cartridge, in their periodic listings over *several* years duration. I'm
sure it sounded fine, the only trouble being that no such animal was ever
even contemplated (according to Mr. Joe Grado himself). The owner at Lyle
Cartridges became real ****ed by people wishing to buy one (myself
included). Despite his requesting them to remove the recommendation at
various shows, they continued on with it.
Stewart Pinkerton

Pinkerton" wrote:

Do you really *believe* all that guff that Kessler, Fremer et al spout
every month?

Perhaps you can take a less cynical view - these people review music and
point out what is enjoyable to them as well as things that sound as if they
are recorded and mastered well.

However, that's not what they say in their reviews.

I would agree that you don't need to and shouldn't swallow everything that
people write or tell you - but heck, that is true in GENERAL, not just for
audio reviewers. Also, from what I can tell, audio journalists are hifi
geeks at heart - enthusiasm for the Next Big Thing is the only fault, if
any, I doubt they go out and try to figure out how to dupe the guy reading
their rag. And just like a movie review - because a reviewer likes it
doesn't mean you will like it.

The point of course is that you should like it, because it sounds
*just the same* as last month's 'best amp ever'.

No need to be an audio curmudgeon !

Sorry, but *you* claim to be a professional engineer, yet you apply
extreme sloppiness to your listening tests regarding cable, and you
refuse even to discuss the detail of your 'experiment'. IME, those who
apply less rigorous attention to their hobby than to their work, are
not really interested in that hobby.