Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Termistor Mounting

How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink, or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"west"

How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink,
or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

** ROTFL !!

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

west wrote:
How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink, or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

That would change its warm-up timing. Slow it down some. conversely,

wrapping some insulation around it would have it get hotter faster.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"west"

How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat

sink,
or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

** ROTFL !!

What does ROTFL mean?

west

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"west"

How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat

sink,
or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

** ROTFL !!

What does ROTFL mean?

Er, ROTFL used to mean Rolling On The Floor Laughing....

But don't mount a thermistor on a heatsink.

The idea is that when cold, they have high resistance, and thus limit
input currents, and its these very currents plus the lesser continuous
currents
which heat the thermistor according to heat in watts dissipated = I
squared x R.
When hot, their resistance falls due to increasing
temperature, and you want no large series R when the amp is running.
A state of eqilibrium exists where input current keeps the
thermistor hot; if it gets hotter, the resistance falls and it tends to
cool,

Unfortunately such devices often expire after a short time in any amp.
I have had them explode.

And if you turn an amp off, the thermistor stays hot and low resistance.
Then if you turn the amp on again within say 30 seconds, the thermistor
is still at a low
resistance and offers little limitation of inrush currents which then
may cause the thermistor to
become overstressed and explode/fuse.

So after trying a couple of times with thermistors, I gave up.
And if they run so hot, the soldering of their leads tends to fatigue
quickly.
I now sometimes use secondary low power auxilliary supply transformer
which
supplies power to run the turn on management and protection circuits
so that a series R between mains and main PT is shunted 4 seconds after
turn on by a relay.
and even if some clown turns the amp off then on again the delay circuit
still works.

I also sometimes use a voltage doubler HT supply in a tube amp
which then allows the heater supply to be rectified to
make a PS for the management/protect circuit so that the turn on
of the B+ is always subject to the 4 second delay.

A typical series R needs to be well power rated even though the
current surge isn't for very long.

One should use 20 watt resistances at least.
Once shunted by a relay the R does not dissipate any power and it
remains cool.

But the simpler alternative is to have permanent series R placed
between the silicon rectifiers and any large value capacitors,
so that typically for a big amp where they may be 470uF
one would place 22 ohms, because the reactance of the 470uf at 100Hz =
3.4 ohms,
and if the winding resistances of the PT are low then the peak
cap charging currents are high acording to I = E / R.
In the case of the 470uF, 22 ohms would reduce the peak charge I
by around 7 times. The ripple voltage across the cap will still
measure the same but the peak charge currents are much reduced.
Usually the output voltage of say +400V will only sag a few volts due to
the
extra series R.

For more information about PSU perhaps you should read a little more
about the basic
behaviour of devices and carefully consider the train of events that
occur
millisecond by millisecond in a power supply, and you should examine a
PSU with a CRO
and peak voltage peak current measuring meter with hold facility.
Once all the currents and voltage swings are logged with time
at all points in the PSU then you may competently be able to design and
build
decent power supplies that last, and don't need bandaid measures like
inrush thermistors.

Like many things to do with power amplifier electronics, silence and
smoke greet all those
who insist on proceeding by guesswork.

Patrick Turner.

west

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

west wrote:
How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink, or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

This is getting truly out of hand. Folks put massive capacitors on
their power supply, then they need inrush current limiting. So they
install additional parts to limit the inrush, and then they add even
more parts that defeat the principle by heat sinking them.

It's sort of like the song about the lady who swallowed a fly, then a
spider to eat the fly, then a bird to eat the spider,...

The simple answer: Don't swallow the fly. I don't know why you
swallowed the fly. Put reasonable sized filter caps in.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Groper from Hell Alert !

This is getting truly out of hand. Folks put massive capacitors on
their power supply, then they need inrush current limiting.

** Inrush surge limiting is ACTUALLY needed because of using large AC
transformers - even with tube rectifiers and virtually zero surge due to
PSU filter caps charging.

Just a little matter of the laminated iron core going into SEVERE magnetic
saturation when the primary is switched on close to an AC supply voltage
zero crossing.

All way over this " Tim " cretin's pointy head.

** No-body has done the latter - you smug ****head.

It's sort of like the song about the lady who swallowed a fly, then a
spider to eat the fly, then a bird to eat the spider,...

** Bet this " Tim " cretin knows an awful lot about spiders.

The simple answer: Don't swallow the fly. I don't know why you
swallowed the fly. Put reasonable sized filter caps in.

** Better not " swallow " any of the asinine drivel that Tim spews.

It'll really make you puke......

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Bret Ludwig wrote:
wrote:
west wrote:
How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink, or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

This is getting truly out of hand. Folks put massive capacitors on
their power supply, then they need inrush current limiting. So they
install additional parts to limit the inrush, and then they add even
more parts that defeat the principle by heat sinking them.

It's sort of like the song about the lady who swallowed a fly, then a
spider to eat the fly, then a bird to eat the spider,...

The simple answer: Don't swallow the fly. I don't know why you
swallowed the fly. Put reasonable sized filter caps in.

The transformers can take it. Ancilliary parts can't.

I would strongly argue that if the original equipment came with crappy
power switches etc. that can't handle the power turning on and off,
that the current owners would be well advised to replace them with
something more capable.

Any capacitors that will blow up on a quick power on are either bad or
were junk to begin with. If they blow up on power on, it's a blessing
because it's easy to find the exploded parts by their dangling leads!
Putting in extra parts to protect bad parts is not a very sound
solution. Yes, you need a fuse, but that's not to protect the crappy
under-specced parts in your project, that's to stop your house from
burning down.

Current surges through sagging filaments in series-string equipment are
there to put those marginal tubes out of their misery :-).

A Thermistor is not a cure-all because the power could still drop out
and come back quickly, putting the same stresses on all the parts
everyone is trying to "protect" with the thermistor that would be there
if there was no thermistor.

IOW better parts specification is the answer, not band-aids on
band-aids.

Now I myself have some bandaids on me right now. I'm not perfect.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Bret Ludwig wrote:

I agree with this but it has to be said, McIntosh used them for a
couple of decades with great success.

Some addenda, I don't necessarily think that just because Mc did it it
represents best practice. McIntosh used inexpensive materials and cut
costs: their build cost probably wasn't much higher than Dyna, partly
because they built everything inhouse and labor costs were lower in
upstate NY State than union-ridden Philly. Their stuf worked a lot
better, that's beyond question.

I think the ultimate is to use a DC solid state linear regulated
regulated heater supply with foldback and for it to control the HV so
that if either heater or bias power falis it opens the HV supply's
primary.

Yes but that still leaves the amp 'on' with a B+ present.
If there is a bias problem or excess cathode current in one or more
output tubes the amp should turn all its B+ right off, and it must stay
'off'
until an attempt is made to 'reset' the amp, and if the condition
repeats,
the owner must seek technical help.
There is little need for the complication of a series regulated B+ anode
supply.
But a shunt regulated screen supply makes sense with a series R to allow
a voltage
drop before the shunt element. If a tube's screen current becomes
excessive,
the regulated voltage just sags and the series R is allowed to fuse
open.

This means the heater supply can't be terribly efficient but
if one does not have a certain power and heat budget one does not use
tubes today. Such a supply can easily provide slow ramp-up of voltage.

There really isn't much need to ramp up the voltage.
A tube rectifier tends to do this well enough, but most tube rectifiers
heat up and conduct faster than output tubes ( unless they 300B/2A3 )
so a tubed rectifier with delay in the 5V ac isn't a bad idea.

Having the supply simply fold back or even just limit current properly
controls cold pulsing of the heaters but it has to be set for the tube
complement in use carefully.

The cold pulsing isn't much of a problem because most folks don't play
music
until the amp has warmed a few minutes.

Since the modern trend is to enable
multiple similar output tubes to be used, both because of uncertain
supply in the future and the coprophagic practice of tube rolling,
defined ramp-up and generous overallowance of current is more
practical.

One can use constant current supply to the heaters for reducing the
cold turn on surge due to heaters being 1/2 the hot resistance when
cold.

Oh yes, this is a reasonable question, so we may once again solidly be
assured that despite Phil Allison having some good skills, he's an
autistic **** nevertheless. **** **** ****, that's Phil. His mom should
be proud. Probably, like Dolly Sinatra, is. Wonder if she does
abortions with knitting needles too?

Well, being likened to female genitals which most of us like to play
with
is a little over the top; definately innappropriate, and sure, we can
judge a man harshly on his past, but what has Phil
done recently that would derserve such colourful sexual conotations?
Has he done something coprophagically?

Patrick Turner.

And its Christmas, a time when I'd like to bury the hatchet.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

west wrote:
How would you mount a thermistor used for inrush current, to a heat sink, or
would doing so defeat its purpose?

This is getting truly out of hand. Folks put massive capacitors on
their power supply, then they need inrush current limiting. So they
install additional parts to limit the inrush, and then they add even
more parts that defeat the principle by heat sinking them.

It's sort of like the song about the lady who swallowed a fly, then a
spider to eat the fly, then a bird to eat the spider,...

The simple answer: Don't swallow the fly. I don't know why you
swallowed the fly. Put reasonable sized filter caps in.

Tim.

Perhaps if you were to read my website at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au
you'd find advice on PSUs that recommend huge cap sizes,
or varied cap sizes for CLC supplies and you won't need thermistors,
extreme current limiting, or heatsinks.

The peak charge currents into large the input resevoir cap/s after the
rectifier diodes
can be limited with judicious use of series R, so that if you had
1,000 uF and wanted to charge it to +500V, then the use
of 32 ohms series R makes such a cap cause a maximum peak
current equal to a 50 uF cap, since a 50 uF cap
at say 100Hz ripple frequency has reactance = 32 ohms.
The 1,000 uF has reactance at 100 Hz = 1.6 ohms, so charge currents on
the first few cycles
with silicon diodes tend to be large, and large enough to blow mains
fuses
which need to be higher than what would give protection with a saturated
tube.

I suggest you make a few measurements with dummy load, cap, some
experimental R and a bunch of C.
The 32 ohms does cause some reduction of B+ and reduction of its
regulation,
but in an SE or PP class A and most class AB amps this is never a
problem
when using music signals since the average power out is a lot
less than clipping power with a sine wave.

If the PS tries to draw excess current, the series R can fuse, not the
transformer windings.
The fixed series R = about above 7 times the cap reactance is the
simplest way to
limit peak charge currents, not just during turn on but all the time.
Cost about $2.00. Simple.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Phil Allison wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Groper from Hell Alert !

[...]

In a long thread of posts not too long ago the subject
of inrush currents due to transformer saturation during
the first few cycles was discussed at length.

And we all take your point about the inrush currents due to magnetic
effects.

However, I have found that limiting charge currents to
large caps in PS is useful by means of series R placed strategically.
This allows a lower value mains fuse which is thus more effective at
offering
protection.

In my 2x300W SS amp there are TWO x 100,000 uF capacitors,
one for each + and - voltage rail.

The mains fuse needed without some capacitor charge inrush limiting by
means of R
was about 10 amps. This means that once going, the amp
would have to draw about 11 amps to make the fuse blow,
and this equates to mains draw of about 2,700watts, well in excess
of what would be experienced; I'd want the mains fuse to blow
at the rating just slightly above the PT VA rating, ie, when
about 700VA has been reached. The mains fuse could therefore
be only 3 amps, and slow blow.

Its not difficult to make a delay circuit that works a relay to shunt
a series R as I show at my website.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:
I suggest you make a few measurements with dummy load, cap, some
experimental R and a bunch of C.
The 32 ohms does cause some reduction of B+ and reduction of its
regulation,
but in an SE or PP class A and most class AB amps this is never a
problem
when using music signals since the average power out is a lot
less than clipping power with a sine wave.

Even better, use a choke-input filter.

If the PS tries to draw excess current, the series R can fuse, not the
transformer windings.
The fixed series R = about above 7 times the cap reactance is the
simplest way to
limit peak charge currents, not just during turn on but all the time.
Cost about $2.00. Simple.

Big choke iron will cost a lot more than $2, I admit, even if you take
into account the savings from not having to buy oversize copper to
limit I2R losses in the transformer. But it just feels wrong to me to
buy oversize copper to limit I2R losses and then put in a power
resistor to recreate some I2R losses and then you're back to swallowing
the fly again.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Well, being likened to female genitals which most of us like to play
with
is a little over the top; definately innappropriate, and sure, we can
judge a man harshly on his past, but what has Phil
done recently that would derserve such colourful sexual conotations?
Has he done something coprophagically?

Someone asked a reasonable question, albeit not a terrifically
sophisticated one, and Phil comes along and attacks him like that.
Can't Phil act like an adult ever?

With all due respect to the original questioner about a "Termistor"
it should be realised by all who know just a little about such things as
thermistors
that the original question showed some really gross ignorance about the
device
and its application, and such ignorance propels laughter amoung the more
capable
electronic engineers amoung us.

Some of the engineers would ridicule people asking dumb questions
so that they would refrain from doing so in future.
What other medicine is there?

The original questioner would have fared better by doing a google search
on thermistors
and studied the existing web texts on the subject BEFORE launching a
question
that he could easily have answered himself, had he applied greater
accedemic discipline to his own situation,
ie, not been so fukkin lazy, as more down to earth teachers would say.

So I at least NOW WARN anyone reading these postings here at r.a.t that
they should
do some research before asking us about the most basic subjects known to
all.
They should ask themselves how much they should do to help themselves
before expecting us to help them for nothing. Why should we be so
forthcoming with answers and advice, all for free, for those who won't
lift a finger to solve
their own problems?
I don't relish stopping to lend a pump to the cyclist by the road side
who
is mending a flat tyre and has no pump because he forgot to bring one
along of his own.
I still stop though, in the interests of goodwill to other fellows, but
really it isn't much reward.

I would wish therefore that all respondents to r.a.t do a little home
work
and home experimentation to try to find their own answers before
cluttering
everyone's consciousness with what are seen by some to be idiotic
questions.
It takes guts to approach a news group
knowing one does not know everything, but the attitude is a fair one.
It takes stupidity to display how little research one has done
to correct the situation of low knowledge status.

Phil's been known to have his "moments" which can drag on for hours,
days and weeks.
To expect an absense of people with easily upset dispositions on an
unmoderated public news group
and to expect ppl to be adult at all times is expecting way too much of
human behaviour in general.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

In nearly all well designed PT the total core and copper losses total
less than
10% of the rated VA.
So copper resistances of each winding should be less than 5% of the
R load driven by each winding.
Consider a normal 240VA rated tranny power tranny which has a only a
rectifier secondary
to make say +400Vdc at 0.54 ampsdc.
This requires an HT winding of about 300Vrms capable of 0.72Arms ac, so
the load = 400V / 0.72A = 555 ohms,
so the winding resistance would be 5% of 555 ohms = 27 ohms.

Say you have 240Vrms input to a primary,
and 1Arms rated current input for the 240VA tranny.
In fact the current wave won't be a sine wave if a rectifier is
connected,
but nevertheless we design on the basis of 1Arms, so the load seen by
the mains
240Vrms input voltage is seen as 240V / 1 A = 240 ohms.
The I squared x R calc for power dissipated means that with the
rectifier there
is more dissipation than we calculated using the Irms assumption, since
the Ipeak is higher,
although it does not last a whole wave cycle.
Most PT designed on this basis work OK and often run cooler than many
commercial
bean counter designed products which teeter on the edge of thermal
runaway and which are also noisy.

The peak charge current into any cap value is limited by the series Rw
of both P and S windings plus the
mains supply resistance, usually much lower than the tranny R, because
the mains
resistance at the street connection is shunted by perhaps hundreds of
nearby connections to the generator.

Placing a series R between the silicon diodes with low 'on' resistance
and the resevoir cap
will further limit the peak charge current and 30 ohms is about like 1/2
a GZ34.
With the series R and Si diodes though, the time taken for charge to be
delivered on each
charging action with say a 1,000 uF cap in the above case might be be
about 1/3 of each 1/2 wave cycle,
or say over 60 degrees of the 360 degree cycle.
This results in a ripple voltage saw tooth wave with much steeper charge
slopes than discharge slopes;
the current flow into the cap is much greater than the current flow out
of the cap, where the cap is a large value.
So there is a benefit to lessen the slope of the charge part of the
sawtooth wave so that charge wave section
is sloped nearer the slope of the discharge section.
The addition of a certain value of R added between C and rectifier
bridge will achieve
a large reduction of peak charge current, so that the charge time takes
perhaps 2/3 of each 1/2 wave cycle,
or 120 degrees of a full wave, and in practice a suitable R will reduce
the
the peak charge current by a factor = 0.3, and with little further
benefits by using any more added R,
because ripple voltage will still always = Idc x 2,200 / C in uF for
100Hz, and where the dc load 10 x ZC.
And as more R is added, the B+ regulation suffers, and its value falls,
and you have a lot
of unecessary power dissipated in the series R being too large.
It may be fine if you want to reduce the B+ deliberately, but its far
better practice to place as small a
value of charge current limiting R before the C1 resevoir cap, and then
place any added B+ dropping R
AFTER the C1, and before C2, to use whatever R to best advantage to
assist in filtering.

The series R used to reduce the B+ can be placed in series with any L
that is used
and the R then assists in reducing the tendency for the L and C2 to
become a resonant circuit
with Fo at too high an F, and one without enough R in the load value to
give the wanted maximally flat response
of the LC filter.

As you can see, there are MANY issues and bits and peices to analyse
before wondering
if $2 is well spent; I say it has been well spent, and you should study
why by making some
breadboard experiments with power supplies equipped with CRO, meters,
and your science notebook and a sharp pencil!

If you really knew about all this you'd confirm your observations
with text book calculations.

The choke input has its merits, except that it needs a very very well
made choke
which is subject to both dc flow which affects the B+ voltage, and an ac
flow
which must not saturate the choke for any portion of the wave cycle,
and the choke must remain not noisy for its life, and its inductance
value
should be high for useful filtering, and the inductance should vary with
dc flow
as in the case of the "swinging choke".
Many design engineers used such chokes in PS for class B amps where the
dc flow
varied a lot, and tube rectifiers were used; these supplies were
economical in transmitter designs
where class B modulators and class C RF amps were used.
But choke input PS are much more expensive and difficult to design than
cap input PS
and also quite unecessary for class A or AB where current remains fairly
constant
and there IS a $2 solution as I have outlined above.

There is more about PSU concerns at my website.

Patrick Turner.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:
But choke input PS are much more expensive and difficult to design than
cap input PS

Regarding the "difficult": Gees. That's funny, all the 40's and 50's
era handbooks summarize all the "difficult" points of choke-input power
supply design in a page or two, then spend 15 pages analyzing the
effects of a high peak vs average current in a capacitor input design,
and even you launch into many paragraphs of explanation about a single
series resistor, something that all the old textbooks don't treat as a
tertiary issue like you do but they start from the get-go considering
total series resistance as a fundamental parameter :-).

I will certainly agree that chokes aren't the cheapest thing in the
world. We certainly don't live in a world where iron and copper are
free.

and also quite unecessary for class A or AB where current remains fairly
constant
and there IS a $2 solution as I have outlined above.

There is more about PSU concerns at my website.

Again, my solution: make all your PSU concerns be not my concerns. I
don't swallow that fly.

I realize that I'm in the minority here.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
But choke input PS are much more expensive and difficult to design than
cap input PS

Regarding the "difficult": Gees. That's funny, all the 40's and 50's
era handbooks summarize all the "difficult" points of choke-input power
supply design in a page or two, then spend 15 pages analyzing the
effects of a high peak vs average current in a capacitor input design,
and even you launch into many paragraphs of explanation about a single
series resistor, something that all the old textbooks don't treat as a
tertiary issue like you do but they start from the get-go considering
total series resistance as a fundamental parameter :-).

Yes, but millions of radios and consumer gear mostly used cap inputs; a
5Y3
and a 16uF cap was all you got.
Making a choke for a choke input for the majority of situations was a
PITA.

I will certainly agree that chokes aren't the cheapest thing in the
world. We certainly don't live in a world where iron and copper are
free.

Yeah, and copper and irn was MORE expensive in real terms
in 1955 than now, but then in 1955, one could buy any wound component
easily....

and also quite unecessary for class A or AB where current remains fairly
constant
and there IS a $2 solution as I have outlined above.

There is more about PSU concerns at my website.

Again, my solution: make all your PSU concerns be not my concerns. I
don't swallow that fly.

Fine, flies don't have much nutritional value, and depending where they
been,
a few could make yer crook...

I realize that I'm in the minority here.

Never mind...

Patrick Turner.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

I realized that my question wasn't well thought out as soon as I hit the
send button. As far as Phil's comment, I understand that he can't help
himself so nothing he says offends me. However, it's the pompous asshole
Patrick who truly nauseates me. I told him once before that when asking a
question, I appreciate all comments, except those of Turner, who never
seems to miss an opportunity to let me know how much more of tube audio he
knows than I. He NEEDS to answer questions in this NG, probably for the rest
of his life. It is the very source of his substance. How pathetic that
someone with all that knowledge of a subject is a complete failure at it.
How many countless hours, days, months, years will he be totally and
desperately searching for the admiration he never knew from his ....?? He is
shackled here for the rest of his life, pathetically seeking the respect
that he will never find, living almost in complete destitute, surrounded by
all that ostentatious equipment that doesn't add up to anything of real
value. Just like the, er, man, nothing of intrinsic value. Sad, sad, poor
Patrick. This IS your life. For those of us who enjoy tube sound because
it's a great hobby and not a way of life ... Season Greetings. For you
Professor Turner, get help before you reach the point of no return, if you
haven't already reached it. Leave Phil alone, he's actually saner than you.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Its impossible to talk to you about electronics related to tube craft
and not give some impression to
the group that i know more about it all than you do.

I'm a happy pompous asshole.

He NEEDS to answer questions in this NG, probably for the rest
of his life.

I DO NOT NEED to answer questions, and there are many which go
unanswered
from this direction.

I enjoy the cut and thrust of public discussions, so I have an input.

It is the very source of his substance. How pathetic that
someone with all that knowledge of a subject is a complete failure at it.

So you somehow think I am an expert, but a failure, because you have a
warped idea to me about
what success and failure may mean. I think you are confused ansd
inconsistent in your reasoning.
I cannot be so knowledgeable and a "failure at it", ie, be not
knowledgeable.
That would mean my knowledge wasn't as good as you know it to be.
But I sure don't know everything, and still have a lot to learn,
but I know to be tolerant of everyone's mainly temporary hissy fits.
I put my knowledge into practice with the amplifiers and speakers I
build and nobody is displeased.
I am not like the sex guidance expert who remains un-married
and lives alone all his life and never has any sex, even with himself..

How many countless hours, days, months, years will he be totally and
desperately searching for the admiration he never knew from his ....?? He is
shackled here for the rest of his life, pathetically seeking the respect
that he will never find, living almost in complete destitute, surrounded by
all that ostentatious equipment that doesn't add up to anything of real
value. Just like the, er, man, nothing of intrinsic value. Sad, sad, poor
Patrick. This IS your life. For those of us who enjoy tube sound because
it's a great hobby and not a way of life ... Season Greetings. For you
Professor Turner, get help before you reach the point of no return, if you
haven't already reached it. Leave Phil alone, he's actually saner than you.

Cordially,
west

Before you email me again to get advice about something you don't
have much of a clue about, think well upon the spew of
spiteful BS you have trotted out in your above post.
When you have something to say publically, I will be there to comment
like all the rest;
there is no escape on a public un-moderated NG.
One reason why ppl have left r.a.t is because they get the ****s about
what is said to
stimulate their brains and what is said to challenge their little pet
truths
as they see them, and they vomit up over what is asked of them to
explain.
The advice that is dished out to some is un-palatable because it prods
them off their arses
and out into their workshops where they must labour to learn, but it is
the only way!
I sometimes set out to be a PITA sometimes so that a subject is clearer
to all
of the group, and many don't like any of that.
I am one who would ask a jew why he won't work on a saturday, damn it,
saturday IMHO is a great day for work, and so is sunday for a christian,
and to me the BS of sacred things is just BS, and if I seem pompous, an
asshole, so be it,
I don't care, because truth, logic, intellectual freedom comes first
before all sacred cows.
And I'd rather work on sunday than go to bloody church to hear a pompous
priest tell me how
I have to live, and so forth. If the priest wants me there he can pay me
$30 per hour,
and that's a fair price. He'd better have something of interest for me
to discuss
with him or I'll refuse his payment and go on a long bike ride instead,
which where I may experience God without some pompous human getting in
the way.

I won't pander to give people what they
want that is easy, mushy, BS ridden, etc.

Consider that each and every personal summation mentioned above that you
have concluded is in error,
and that all you have succeeded with upon this occasion
is to make a fool of yourself.

Unlike many others who come and go from this group, I plan to be
staying,
so get used to now rather than waste time posting BS, and please try to
stay with the technical
even when you are wrong.
Remember too that I don't reply to the vast majority of posts at r.a.t
because of the
BS factor and the decending into personal tirades, or else I may feel
that the matter has been covered
50 times before in the last 6 years i have been here.

I wish that you have a pleasing Christmas unless you are a muslim or
jew,
in that case try spending your time happily anyway.

I hope the new year brings you a new beginning, and that the snow
doesn't seem so deep.
Sharpen the shovel that you may dig yourself out soon.

Patrick Turner.