Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Default Speaking of MP3: batch conversion?

Since we've been discussing digital sound file stuff a lot here lately,
I wonder if anyone knows of any conversion utilities (WAV to MP3) that
can operate in batch mode, so I can convert a whole folder of files at
once. (Preferably free, of course). I have a copy of Sound Forge that
converts, but that means one at a time by hand. I'm lazy!

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
Since we've been discussing digital sound file stuff a lot here
lately, I wonder if anyone knows of any conversion utilities (WAV to
MP3) that can operate in batch mode, so I can convert a whole folder
of files at once. (Preferably free, of course). I have a copy of Sound
Forge that converts, but that means one at a time by hand. I'm lazy!

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff

Richard Crowley wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
Since we've been discussing digital sound file stuff a lot here
lately, I wonder if anyone knows of any conversion utilities (WAV to
MP3) that can operate in batch mode, so I can convert a whole folder
of files at once. (Preferably free, of course). I have a copy of
Sound Forge that converts, but that means one at a time by hand. I'm
lazy!

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

SoundForge !

Menu bar : Tools | Batch Converter. Unless you've got some cut down version
, there is a downloadable stand-alone BC For versions prior to 7 (5 and 6)
he
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=339

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eiron

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Since we've been discussing digital sound file stuff a lot here lately,
I wonder if anyone knows of any conversion utilities (WAV to MP3) that
can operate in batch mode, so I can convert a whole folder of files at
once. (Preferably free, of course). I have a copy of Sound Forge that
converts, but that means one at a time by hand. I'm lazy!

If you want to do batch conversion, write a batch file.
I use LAME to do the mp3 conversion and sed to manipulate the filenames.
( Various versions of sed for Windows are at http://www.cornerstonemag.com/sed )

Here's my batch file. Save it as c:\windows\wav2mp3.bat
@echo off
path c:\windows;c:\windows\command
IF "%1" == "AGAIN" GOTO AGAIN
for %%F in (*.WAV) do call wav2mp3 AGAIN %%F
GOTO END
:AGAIN
echo %2 temp.txt
sed15 -e "s/^/set mp3=/;s/.WAV/.mp3/;s/.wav/.mp3/" temp.txt temp.bat
call temp.bat
del temp.txt
del temp.bat
lame -q 0 -v -b 128 --nohist %2 %mp3%
del %2
:END

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do it but it works.
It converts all .wav files in the directory to .mp3 and deletes the originals.
If you want to save the original, remove the penultimate line.

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Posted to rec.audio.tech