Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Default DIY electrostatic speakers

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers? This came up
in another thread, but a Google search dredged up too much crap for me
to deal with, and besides, I got sidetracked reading about the dubious
wonders of flame loudspeakers ...

Even links to how electrostatics work would be appreciated; I'm pretty
ignorant on the subject. (Well, OK, I know the theoretical basis: a
diaphragm between two charged poles, or maybe the diaphragm is charged
too.) I know it involves high voltages and all. Just have never seen the
innards of one, nor a diagram explaining how they work.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Frank Vuotto

You can look around on in The Planar Speaker Asylum (from here)

http://www.audioasylum.com/

and here

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...aks/index.html

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On Fri, 12 May 2006 11:06:25 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers? This came up
in another thread, but a Google search dredged up too much crap for me
to deal with, and besides, I got sidetracked reading about the dubious
wonders of flame loudspeakers ...

Even links to how electrostatics work would be appreciated; I'm pretty
ignorant on the subject. (Well, OK, I know the theoretical basis: a
diaphragm between two charged poles, or maybe the diaphragm is charged
too.) I know it involves high voltages and all. Just have never seen the
innards of one, nor a diagram explaining how they work.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers? This came up
in another thread, but a Google search dredged up too much crap for me
to deal with, and besides, I got sidetracked reading about the dubious
wonders of flame loudspeakers ...

Even links to how electrostatics work would be appreciated; I'm pretty
ignorant on the subject. (Well, OK, I know the theoretical basis: a
diaphragm between two charged poles, or maybe the diaphragm is charged
too.) I know it involves high voltages and all. Just have never seen the
innards of one, nor a diagram explaining how they work.

There are books on speaker design such as Martin Colloms' High
Performance Loudspeakers which describe the principles and design.
For DIY, try www.audioxpress.com as they have published construction
articles in the past and have a rich archive of info.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mick

On Fri, 12 May 2006 11:06:25 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers? This came up
in another thread, but a Google search dredged up too much crap for me
to deal with, and besides, I got sidetracked reading about the dubious
wonders of flame loudspeakers ...

Google is really too easy... ;-)
Searching for "making electrostatic speakers" - page 2

http://esl.rehorst.com/how_to_esl.htm

Even links to how electrostatics work would be appreciated; I'm pretty
ignorant on the subject. (Well, OK, I know the theoretical basis: a
diaphragm between two charged poles, or maybe the diaphragm is charged
too.) I know it involves high voltages and all. Just have never seen the
innards of one, nor a diagram explaining how they work.

Even easier to find - page 1

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker11.htm

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Remove blockage to use my email address

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Cyrus

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers? This came up
in another thread, but a Google search dredged up too much crap for me
to deal with, and besides, I got sidetracked reading about the dubious
wonders of flame loudspeakers ...

Even links to how electrostatics work would be appreciated; I'm pretty
ignorant on the subject. (Well, OK, I know the theoretical basis: a
diaphragm between two charged poles, or maybe the diaphragm is charged
too.) I know it involves high voltages and all. Just have never seen the
innards of one, nor a diagram explaining how they work.

diyaudio.com has a small following as well IIRC.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Murray Peterson

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4464cdd8$0$3690
:

Anyone have any links to homemade electrostatic speakers?

http://esl.rehorst.com/
http://members.tripod.com/~mdarling/

--
Murray Peterson