Posted to rec.audio.tubes
DougC DougC is offline

Default semi-related: soldering tiny headphone wires?

I've got a set of headphones that I want to keep the cord, but change
the earphones themselves. For various reasons I can't just use other
headphones.

How is the best way to solder these tiny headphone wires? The few times
I've tried it in the past, it's not ever worked very well or for very
long. The individual headphone cords measure just over 1mm diameter
right now, so there's not going to be but a few tiny hairs of anything
conductive inside.

In the past I have seen that if you manage to scrape the lacquer off
these tiny ribbons of copper, they oxidize very quickly and usually
crack and fall apart. I am thinking maybe after soldering, paint the
connection with some clear lacquer modeling paint? ....Assuming I can
even get the actual wires stuck together, that is.

Is there any really good way to do this I've never heard of, and that
doesn't require industrial-level equipment?
~
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Aug 4, 8:34 pm, DougC wrote:
[...]

Wire like this is stripped with an alcohol lamp or a sandpaper
stripper. You need flux, cleaners and a Metcal iron with a very fine
tip. Arrange to visit a transformer plant if you are able to sometime
to watch the winders (all female) do itthe pro way.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Aug 4, 9:34*pm, DougC wrote:

Is there any really good way to do this I've never heard of, and that
doesn't require industrial-level equipment?

I have an el-cheapo Weller soldering station and very fine electronic
solder - almost as thin as the wires. Typically, I will use the tip of
the iron to melt the insulation - if done carefully (near-to-but-not-
touching) the insulation will shrink right back from the wire. Then I
solder it - good electronic solder has almost no plastic stage - and
then heat-shrink the shebang to stabilize it mechanically. Never lost
one yet.

A good magnifier and a steady hand helps. But I also use a jig ('third
hand') to hold onto everything so there is no shaking or vibration

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA