Posted to rec.audio.tubes
sortech sortech is offline

Default mystery USSR tubes

An amp I recently purchased came with 6L6GC tubes Labeled National
Electronics and made in the USSR. The Plate structure looks identical to
some Sylvania tubes I have from late 70's but also except for color,
some new Chinese time bombs I have. Anyone have any idea about these?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
marko marko is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:44:41 -0600, sortech wrote:

An amp I recently purchased came with 6L6GC tubes Labeled National
Electronics and made in the USSR. The Plate structure looks identical to
some Sylvania tubes I have from late 70's but also except for color,
some new Chinese time bombs I have. Anyone have any idea about these?

If it looks like this, it's russian 6P3S. Probably is, national rebranded
a ton of them. Keep it under 25w, and watch Vg2.

http://www.tubecollector.org/6p3s.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
sortech sortech is offline

marko wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:44:41 -0600, sortech wrote:

An amp I recently purchased came with 6L6GC tubes Labeled National
Electronics and made in the USSR. The Plate structure looks identical to
some Sylvania tubes I have from late 70's but also except for color,
some new Chinese time bombs I have. Anyone have any idea about these?

If it looks like this, it's russian 6P3S. Probably is, national rebranded
a ton of them. Keep it under 25w, and watch Vg2.

http://www.tubecollector.org/6p3s.htm

Thanks Marko,
The tubes match the picture. The guy who sold me the amp clammed he had
run it for five days. This amp has 460V on the plate, 450V on the screen
and -30 on G1(should have been -40 the old selenium rectifier was bad)
Could these tubes have survived that? I only ran it up to about 1/2
voltage with a veriac before I saw things were amiss, bias way off and
the tubes plate structure to small for such an amp. It did work at low
voltage, no power test of course. For what its worth the tubes test good
as 6L6 on a hickok 539B.

Eric
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:50:47 -0600, sortech wrote:

marko wrote:
[...]

I've been using some 6P3Ss in single-ended amps. They are actually closer
to the original 6L6 or, maybe, the 6L6B than any of the other versions.
Certainly not up to 6L6C ratings. Personally, even the idea of putting
460V on the plate makes me shudder... The blue & red glows and sparks
must have been rather pretty if he ran it for 5 days. ;-)

Having said that, they are a pretty rugged tube and can tolerate a fair
amount of abuse.

Russian data sheet: http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/td/data/_6p3s.GIF

English data sheet: http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6p3s.html

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

marko wrote:
[...]

Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam. * *- Hide quoted text -

Just for interest, I use a pair of Russian "6n3C" (6L6-equivalents) in
an old Heathkit A-8A at around 350 VDC B+ (from memory, not checked.)
They give around 18 watts max. (again, from memory.) This amp is on
the shelf at present but I do recall that they glow blue at the top
and that the sound is quality is good.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
fryzz fryzz is offline

I've found about 1 in 10 of these to be bad in terms of they just
sound like ****, other thaqn that they worked well in my MC-40s.

output mystery The One[_2_] High End Audio 1 June 11th 08 12:10 AM
mystery M-bus Wallace Car Audio 0 November 16th 06 05:56 PM
Mystery OPT Don Pearce Vacuum Tubes 9 August 7th 05 03:02 PM
Radio Mystery Mike Preece Car Audio 0 January 7th 05 07:31 PM
A mystery to me Jon Yaeger Vacuum Tubes 5 September 15th 04 12:36 AM