Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor[_3_] Igor[_3_] is offline

Default Quality faders?

Howdy.

I'm revisiting an idea that I had considered several years but given
up on, namely, building my own 16-channel desktop mixing board.

What's available to the DIY-er these days as far as high quality
faders?

When I researched this many years ago, I had pretty much settled on
the Panasonic 100mm "rail guide" type faders (about $35 a piece in
small quantities). These were available from Digikey. However, I've
just contacted Digikey and been informed that these faders are no
longer available (discontinued by the manufacturer, apparently).

My recollection is that Penny & Giles wouldn't give you the time of
day unless you were buying faders by the thousands, and I assume
nothing has changed with them since then.

Are there any other options? Maybe some Chinese-made knock-offs that
aren't too bad?

TIA,
Igor
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 9, 12:35 am, Igor wrote:

My recollection is that Penny & Giles wouldn't give you the time of
day unless you were buying faders by the thousands, and I assume
nothing has changed with them since then.

If you're in the US or Canada, Dale Manquen, in addition to being one
of the most knowledgeable, helpful, and nicest guys in the audio
industry, is a distributor for Penny & Giles and will help you to find
the right fader for your application.

http://www.manquen.net/MANCO%20conta...%205-20-03.php

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Igor" wrote in message
[...]

Alps K Series aren't bad at all for the price.

http://www.newark.com/01M8719/passiv...questid=126915

Quite a solid rail type movement IIRC.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Igor wrote:

When I researched this many years ago, I had pretty much settled on
the Panasonic 100mm "rail guide" type faders (about $35 a piece in
small quantities). These were available from Digikey. However, I've
just contacted Digikey and been informed that these faders are no
longer available (discontinued by the manufacturer, apparently).

I think some similar ones are made by Panasonic.

My recollection is that Penny & Giles wouldn't give you the time of
day unless you were buying faders by the thousands, and I assume
nothing has changed with them since then.

There are P&G dealers out there who are very good about selling onesie-twosie.
The problem is that the things are very expensive when you buy them that way.

Are there any other options? Maybe some Chinese-made knock-offs that
aren't too bad?

I have not seen any decent Chinese ones. But what I have seen are a lot of
high grade P&G faders from scrapped consoles selling on Ebay for under a
hundred bucks each. People are scrapping lots of those old consoles to
sell the modules in them as "mike pres" and the metalwork and faders are
left over and often go for cheap.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 9, 12:35 am, Igor wrote:

My recollection is that Penny & Giles wouldn't give you the time of
day unless you were buying faders by the thousands, and I assume
nothing has changed with them since then.

If you're in the US or Canada, Dale Manquen, in addition to being one
of the most knowledgeable, helpful, and nicest guys in the audio
industry, is a distributor for Penny & Giles and will help you to find
the right fader for your application.

http://www.manquen.net/MANCO%20conta...%205-20-03.php

I second that recommendation in spades. Do be prepared to pay a lot, but
you'll get support for what you pay for.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 9, 12:35 am, Igor wrote:

My recollection is that Penny & Giles wouldn't give you the time of
day unless you were buying faders by the thousands, and I assume
nothing has changed with them since then.

If you're in the US or Canada, Dale Manquen, in addition to being one
of the most knowledgeable, helpful, and nicest guys in the audio
industry, is a distributor for Penny & Giles and will help you to find
the right fader for your application.

http://www.manquen.net/MANCO%20conta...%205-20-03.php

I second that recommendation in spades. Do be prepared to pay a lot, but
you'll get support for what you pay for.

One alternative that pleasantly surprised me when I re-fader'd my old Soundcraft:
TKD faders (not TDK, but TKD). Relatively cheap, great feel, very good build
quality. RAL Audio is the west coast outlet, www.ralaudio.com

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Igor wrote:
[...]

Igor ~ I have 22 used P&G 104mm faders up for grabs. They're 1K log/audio
taper with "fader start" switches. They are the narrow type(18mm) with
white knobs. Model is PGF3320/B/U/S/A. The P&G info sheet is at
http://www.pennyandgiles.com/docGallery/76.PDF .

If you can use them, make an offer. I'm in Los Angeles, 91607-2110. Feel
free to email me with questions ... .

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor[_4_] Igor[_4_] is offline

Thanks for the leads, guys.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor[_4_] Igor[_4_] is offline

On 09 Sep 2008 16:17:37 GMT, Roy W. Rising
wrote:

I have 22 used P&G 104mm faders up for grabs. They're 1K log/audio
taper with "fader start" switches. They are the narrow type(18mm) with
white knobs. Model is PGF3320/B/U/S/A. The P&G info sheet is at
http://www.pennyandgiles.com/docGallery/76.PDF .

If you can use them, make an offer.

Thanks for the offer, but I haven't quite made it there yet. Will keep
your email on file, though.

Touch sensitive, motorized faders vrs. Just motorized faders? Danny T Pro Audio 143 January 8th 07 01:48 PM
Duncan Faders Rick Ruskin Marketplace 0 November 16th 04 04:18 PM
WTB: 10K faders dave Pro Audio 2 April 10th 04 01:58 PM
wtb:faders eldad Pro Audio 0 July 30th 03 03:50 PM