Posted to rec.audio.tech
Charles

Default Home Audio Advice

Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

I am after, in order of importance:
a) nice crisp clear sound
b) strong loud bass
c) would prefer powered speakers to avoid excessive configuration (am
open to suggestions)
d) not excessive in size (no more than ~1m in height)

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What are
your thoughts on this?

Budgetting to spend ~$500 AUD. Used speakers are ok.

Thanks

Charles.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Charles wrote:

Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

I am after, in order of importance:
a) nice crisp clear sound
b) strong loud bass
c) would prefer powered speakers to avoid excessive configuration (am
open to suggestions)
d) not excessive in size (no more than ~1m in height)

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What are
your thoughts on this?

That's a plastic box *PA* speaker ! It will not fit your requirements ( hardly
decent fidelity ) but in a home setting will probably go loud enough to make
your neighbours come round and kill you.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

Pooh Bear wrote:
Charles wrote:

Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

I am after, in order of importance:
a) nice crisp clear sound
b) strong loud bass
c) would prefer powered speakers to avoid excessive configuration (am
open to suggestions)
d) not excessive in size (no more than ~1m in height)

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What
are your thoughts on this?

That's a plastic box *PA* speaker ! It will not fit your requirements
( hardly decent fidelity ) but in a home setting will probably go
loud enough to make your neighbours come round and kill you.

Graham

for home stereo you will hate the EONS.

try a pair of Tannoy Reveal Active plus one or two Tannoy TS-12 subwoofers

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Charles wrote:

Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

snip

If you were in the UK I'd advise going to Richer Sounds and buying some low to
mid end gear.

Take a peek and see if it gives you any ideas.
http://www.richersounds.com/productg...HI-FISEPARATES

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

" Charles wrote:
Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

I am after, in order of importance:
a) nice crisp clear sound
b) strong loud bass
c) would prefer powered speakers to avoid excessive configuration (am
open to suggestions)
d) not excessive in size (no more than ~1m in height)

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What are
your thoughts on this?

Budgetting to spend ~$500 AUD. Used speakers are ok.

Good luck with finding a pair of JBL powered EON 15's for $500AUD!!!!!!!!!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Charles" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I want to setup a system at home. I will output from my pc to this
system.

I am after, in order of importance:
a) nice crisp clear sound
b) strong loud bass
c) would prefer powered speakers to avoid excessive configuration (am
open to suggestions)
d) not excessive in size (no more than ~1m in height)

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What are
your thoughts on this?

Budgetting to spend ~$500 AUD. Used speakers are ok.

Good luck finding a pair of JBL powered EON 15's for $500AUD!!!!!!!!!

But if you want powered speakers the Behringer Truth 2031A's are not much
more than that new. ($700 RRP)
I don't know of anything better for that sort of money.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On 25 May 2006 22:03:27 -0700, "Charles"
wrote:

A friend who DJ's has suggested a JBL 15" EON powered speaker. What are
your thoughts on this?

I use a pair of these (unpowered) for P.A. They're good for that
job. But they're big and ugly and not at all a refined enough sound
for a home system.

If you can find a pair inside your budget, they'll be broken.