Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

Default Recording cassettes to digital.

Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much appreciated.
Neil.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:37:29 +1000, "Neil Green"
wrote:

Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much appreciated.
Neil.

Can you run the cassette signal through a pre-amp that has a balance
control before you hit the PC? Alternatively if you are handy with a
soldering iron, you can wire a balance control into the wire.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

"Neil Green" wrote in message
Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate
it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette
but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much
appreciated.
Neil.

No help, but I've experienced exactly the same thing copying tapes from my
Nak 3A into my DAW, using Audigy. One channel slightly higher; input
balance control in Audigy doesn't seem to work.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

wrote:

Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much appreciated.
Neil.

Get a mixer. The key to quality recording is presenting an optimum
level at the computer input. Take control of that.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, but the quality doesn't have to be studio.
I'm recording audio books for my wife and her friends to play on MP3 players
when they're out for a run.
I can't run to a mixer for these purposes, and I can balance it out after
it's recorded but it's a drag and I thought I should be able to adjust the
channels from within Cool Edit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

wrote:

[...]

I don't have access to a preamp and I'm afraid I'd have no idea how to make
up an inline balance control.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

wrote:

[...]

I don't have access to a preamp and I'd have no idea how to build an inline
balance control, although I do have a soldering iron.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:09:41 +1000, "Neil Green"
wrote:

Get a mixer. The key to quality recording is presenting an optimum
level at the computer input. Take control of that.

Thanks for the reply, but the quality doesn't have to be studio.
I'm recording audio books for my wife and her friends to play on MP3 players
when they're out for a run.
I can't run to a mixer for these purposes,

Have you seen just how cheaply Behringer will sell you a little mixer?
You've spent more on cables already!

and I can balance it out after
it's recorded but it's a drag and I thought I should be able to adjust the
channels from within Cool Edit.

But not on the way in. Sorry.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:13:40 +1000, "Neil Green"
wrote:

Can you run the cassette signal through a pre-amp that has a balance
control before you hit the PC? Alternatively if you are handy with a
soldering iron, you can wire a balance control into the wire.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Hi
I don't have access to a preamp and I'd have no idea how to build an inline
balance control, although I do have a soldering iron.

Sounds dangerous ;-)

It is a bit too complicated to explain here.Do you have no friends who
are up on electronics? It would really be quite a simple thing for
them to do for you.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

wrote:

Can you run the cassette signal through a pre-amp that has a balance
control before you hit the PC? Alternatively if you are handy with a
soldering iron, you can wire a balance control into the wire.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Hi
I don't have access to a preamp and I'd have no idea how to build an
inline
balance control, although I do have a soldering iron.

Sounds dangerous ;-)

It is a bit too complicated to explain here.Do you have no friends who
are up on electronics? It would really be quite a simple thing for
them to do for you.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

I have a rudimentary knowledge of electronics, and no, none of my friends or
aquaintances are up to speed either.
I would assume a potentiometer and some resistors maybe, but if you could
point me to a simple schematic I'll give it a go.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Get a mixer. The key to quality recording is presenting an optimum
level at the computer input. Take control of that.

Thanks for the reply, but the quality doesn't have to be studio.
I'm recording audio books for my wife and her friends to play on MP3
players
when they're out for a run.
I can't run to a mixer for these purposes,

Have you seen just how cheaply Behringer will sell you a little mixer?
You've spent more on cables already!

and I can balance it out after
it's recorded but it's a drag and I thought I should be able to adjust the
channels from within Cool Edit.

But not on the way in. Sorry.

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer, and the only cable I'm
using is a 3.5mm to RCA which I had laying around so it's a zero cost
exercise so far.
Most of the tapes are OK so it looks like I'll adjust the bad ones after
I've recorded them.
Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Neil Green" wrote in message
Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate
it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette
but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance
properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much
appreciated.

Can't you fix this after the fact in Cool Edit Pro?

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Yes I can but I thought it would be easier to adjust the balance correctly
beforehand.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

wrote:

[...]

OK - I've posted one. The values of the components are approximate -
just use what you have to hand and it will work.

http://81.174.169.10

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Neil Green" wrote ...
Thanks for the reply, but the quality doesn't have to be studio.
I'm recording audio books for my wife and her friends to play on MP3
players when they're out for a run.

Record in mono. Why do you even need stereo for audio books?
Saves space in the MP3 files, too.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote:

I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far
with good results. I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old
Technics deck and the quality is excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the
gain is higher in the left channel than the right, or
vice versa, but when I open Windows recording mixer and
move the balance slider of the line in to compensate it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I
record the cassette but this is time consuming and I'd
like to be able to set the balance properly before I
record.

It shouldn't be all that time consuming.

If you want the best possible results, you'll record with peak levels up to
10 dB below FS, and adjust gain for each channel indepdently before burning.

If anyone has any experience with this your help would
be much appreciated. Neil.

I've transcribed 100's of cassettes and LPs by adjusting gain and balance
in CEP.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Neil Green" wrote in
message u
[...]

Think again.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

Correction - eliminate Don's name from a conversation he wasn't involved in.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:42:20 +1000, "Neil Green"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll see how I go with it but it looks simple enough.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Neil Green" wrote ...
Thanks for the reply, but the quality doesn't have to be studio.
I'm recording audio books for my wife and her friends to play on MP3
players when they're out for a run.

Record in mono. Why do you even need stereo for audio books?
Saves space in the MP3 files, too.

Wife says stereo sounds better, and who am I to argue?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Neil Green" wrote in
message u

wrote:

[...]

I'm having no trouble adjusting the main level, that's
why I thought the balance slider should work too, but it
doesn't.

That's probably due to a problem with the driver for your audio interface.
It may be a problem that was designed in.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:46:13 +1000, "Neil Green"
wrote:

But not on the way in. Sorry.

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer, and the only cable I'm
using is a 3.5mm to RCA which I had laying around so it's a zero cost

OK. So you've set against the idea of a mixer :-) But I strongly
suggest you see what's available.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tom Aurand

Neil Green wrote:
Hi
I'm converting old audio cassettes to digital, so far with good results.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro and an old Technics deck and the quality is
excellent.
The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to compensate it
has no effect.
I can amplify or fade the channels as needed after I record the cassette but
this is time consuming and I'd like to be able to set the balance properly
before I record.
If anyone has any experience with this your help would be much appreciated.
Neil.

Clean the play head for best results.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I have the latest driver for the sound card but still no go.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

Neil Green wrote:

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer,

Example product possibly usable for your purpose:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
setvice

select each channel (left and right) seperately in cool edit pro and
"normalise" each one seperately.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pardon me, but why should the guy have to buy a mixer when
all he needs is some software which *actually works*

Because he wants to do it "on the fly".

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

Neil Green wrote:
"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer, and the only
cable I'm using is a 3.5mm to RCA which I had laying around so it's a
zero cost exercise so far.

Try a musical instrument shop. Many stocked Behringer last time I was in Oz
(a few months ago).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Laurence Payne spake thus:

wrote:

But not on the way in. Sorry.

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer, and the only cable I'm
using is a 3.5mm to RCA which I had laying around so it's a zero cost

OK. So you've set against the idea of a mixer :-) But I strongly
suggest you see what's available.

Pardon me, but why should the guy have to buy a mixer when all he needs
is some software which *actually works* and gives him the ability to set
the balance level, like his current software *should* do? Surely if we
can put a man on the moon, there's some software out there that will
work properly? Probably for free.

Sheesh; the default answer on this newsgroup to any question seems to be
"spend more money".

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Peter Larsen spake thus:

Not sure I get what you're saying. To recap, the O.P. said:

The one problem I have is that on some of the tapes the gain is higher in
the left channel than the right, or vice versa, but when I open Windows
recording mixer and move the balance slider of the line in to
compensate it
has no effect.

So it seems to me that all he really wants and needs is a piece of
software--like the Windows mixer he's now using--that would allow him to
set the balance level as he transfers each tape. Would this not qualify
as "on the fly"? Or maybe I'm missing something here.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source.
Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Peter Larsen spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So it seems to me that all he really wants and needs is a piece of
software--like the Windows mixer he's now using--that would allow
him to set the balance level as he transfers each tape. Would this
not qualify as "on the fly"? Or maybe I'm missing something here.

Yes you a his soundcard does not permit the required real time
adjustment.

Do you know that for sure, or is it possible that the Windoze software
is broken? (Has been known to have happened, you know.) He didn't tell
us what kind of sound card he has, by the way.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source.
Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Peter Larsen spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yes you a his soundcard does not permit the required real time
adjustment.

Do you know that for sure, or is it possible that the Windoze
software is broken?

The "windows mixer" is the graphics front end, what it can offer is what
the sound card drivers offer.

Maybe he needs new sound card drivers then.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source.
Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Neil Green wrote:

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer,

Example product possibly usable for your purpose:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

OK, but at $70 AUD plus shipping I'll probably just balance it out in Cool
Edit after the tapes are recorded.
It seems that either my sound card (Onboard 5.1) or the drivers aren't up to
the task, although I have installed the latest drivers which are only a week
old.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"setvice" wrote in message
oups.com...
select each channel (left and right) seperately in cool edit pro and
"normalise" each one seperately.

That's what I'm doing, but it seemed to be unnecessary if I could adjust the
balance before I recorded the cassettes.
It looks like I'll either live with it or build a simple inline balance
control as outlined in another post above.
I'll go to the parts shop on the weekend and if the parts are reasonable
then I'll put the balance control together.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"Tom Aurand" wrote in message
Neil Green wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tom, yes I've done that.
The balance varies depending on the cassette (Most of which are fairly well
used), some times higher in the left, sometimes the right, mostly OK between
both, so it's not an issue of dirty play heads.
The sound quality is excellent, just the balance control that needs sorting
out.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Neil Green spake thus:

Neil Green wrote:

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer,

Example product possibly usable for your purpose:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

OK, but at $70 AUD plus shipping I'll probably just balance it out in Cool
Edit after the tapes are recorded.
It seems that either my sound card (Onboard 5.1) or the drivers aren't up to
the task, although I have installed the latest drivers which are only a week
old.

Since this seems to be a driver deficiency of some sort, I'm wondering
if there's a utility for the sound card you can use to adjust levels
apart from the Micro$oft utility. I've got a Sound Blaster which comes
with its own little control panel. Is there something like that on your
system? Is the sound card built into the motherboard?

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source.
Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Neil Green spake thus:

Neil Green wrote:

I'm in Australia and have never heard of Behringer,

Example product possibly usable for your purpose:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

OK, but at $70 AUD plus shipping I'll probably just balance it out in
Cool Edit after the tapes are recorded.
It seems that either my sound card (Onboard 5.1) or the drivers aren't up
to the task, although I have installed the latest drivers which are only
a week old.

Since this seems to be a driver deficiency of some sort, I'm wondering if
there's a utility for the sound card you can use to adjust levels apart
from the Micro$oft utility. I've got a Sound Blaster which comes with its
own little control panel. Is there something like that on your system? Is
the sound card built into the motherboard?

Yes it is, and there doesn't seem to be any utility to adjust recording
levels.
There's an equalizer and utilities to setup surround sound and other stuff
but nothing to over ride the Windows recording mixer.
I could install a PCI card but you know what it's like with PC's and cash.
It seems that whatever you throw at them they always need more.
I don't have a card laying around so I'd have to buy one with no guarantee
it would do what I want.
I thought of a different mixer to bypass the Windows one but the Windows
mixer is used by Cool Edit within the program and I'm not sure how to ask it
to use another one, and I can't find any plugins for Cool Edit on the net.
So it seems that the best way to go is to build a simple inline balance
control.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source.
Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Neil Green wrote:

I thought of a different mixer to bypass the Windows one but
the Windows mixer is used by Cool Edit within the program

The "windows mixer" IS the sound cards mixer with a windows standardized
appeareance.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thanks Peter, I wasn't aware of that.
So I either have to buy a soundcard which may or may not work, a mixer,
build an inline balance control or do what I'm doing now and adjust the
balance with Cool Edit after recording .
I think I'll try the inline balance, it'll be cheap to build and if it
doesn't work I've lost very little.(And it'll give me something to do this
weekend)
Audio books for my wife and her friends don't really justify the expense of
a mixer and the onboard sound card is OK for everything else apart from the
recording balance so I don't feel like buying a new soun card which isn't
guaranteed to work.
Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
Neil.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yes you a his soundcard does not permit the
required real time adjustment.

Do you know that for sure, or is it possible that the
Windoze software is broken?

The "windows mixer" is the graphics front end, what it
can offer is what the sound card drivers offer.

Maybe he needs new sound card drivers then.

The hardware that the drivers operate may not have implemented the feature.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yes you a his soundcard does not permit the
required real time adjustment.

Do you know that for sure, or is it possible that the
Windoze software is broken?

The "windows mixer" is the graphics front end, what it
can offer is what the sound card drivers offer.

Maybe he needs new sound card drivers then.

The hardware that the drivers operate may not have implemented the feature.

I found that a sound card driver update suddenly made the digital optical out
work ( that hadn't up til then ). The new mixer also had added features like 4
ch ( again making the software support the actual hardware properly ).

Graham