Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
sav

Default Recording in a Remote(ish) Area

Hi, Sometime before the end of this year we will have the opportunity to
go to an island in the Pacific, with the purpose of making decent
recordings of the local music. I have many questions because it is about
25 years since I did any studio recording and about 15 years since I
stopped mixing live gigs.

Things have changed a lot and I have spent the last few months getting
more up-to-date on what is available. A combination of budget
restrictions, portability and power restrictions made me think something
like a Korg D32XD might be the best compromise.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORD32XD

We'll be relying on generators and solar panels.

The music might be sold through the web, but primarily on tape and Cd
distributed by individuals mostly, as it is already done like this
throughout melanesia. It will be a sort-of co-operative venture, with
artists retaining control and getting all revenue after costs.

I'll try to keep this short, just one more of the many questions is, the
cost of property is ususally very high, but here we could make it very
cheaply. The locals build their houses from local materials, and a
traditional house is often round:
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/qb/articles/...ges/4-2hut.jpg

The walls would need to be thicker, maybe straw-bale, but what do people
think of this? Would a round design be good acoustically? I think there
are advantages to it. Rectangular is equally possible.

This will do for now, if anyone's interested, including ideas on aspects
not mentioned in this post, reply here or on email. (minus the notthisbit)

Thanks