Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter peter is offline

Default why is SM57 useful?

The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article mhU_g.553$%T3.551@trndny03, peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

Because of the way it sounds.

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

You can take the foam out of the ball. That brings back much of the top
end that the SM58 removes.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to

16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar

amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have

flatter
response and wider spectrum?

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use

with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

I HAVE AN SM 57!!!!!!!!!! IT'S USEFUL FOR BUTT-STUFFING ON **EITHER**
END BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE THAT DAMN SM-58 BALL IN THE
WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEAKING OF MY BUTT: WANNA WATCH ME POO?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:46:10 GMT, "peter" wrote:

The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

for some things you want those humps and don't need to go over 16k?

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

for some things you want those humps and don't need to go over 16k?

Julian

WHATCHOO GONNA DO WITH ALL THAT JUNK INSIDE YOUR TRUNK?!?!?!

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I'M GONNA USE MY HUMPS TO POO **EVERYWHERE**

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

LOL LOL LOL EW GROSS

TOWEL PLZ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

Because its a great work horse mic. You can throw it in front of
virtually anything and it will give you a sound good enough to get the
job done. It will also handle high SPL's which is why you see it used
so much on snare drums.

True, its not the highest quality mic in the world, but in terms of
quality for price, its a very good choice.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?

Because the humps in the frequency response seem to be well matched to
the instruments that it works well on. There's practically nothing
above 5 kHz coming out of a guitar amplifier so extended high frequency
response doesn't really matter for this application.

Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

Yes. It exaggerates certain frequencies that are sometimes useful (and
sometimes not - it depends on many things, including what you need from
the recorded sound), and it doesn't pick up stray lows and highs that
you'd probably want to filter out anyway.

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

Not really, but you could try it without the grill. It sounds a little
different than with it. But an SM57 isn't THAT much better on a guitar
amp than an SM58. If you got it, use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"peter" wrote in message
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and
goes only to 16KHz.

Certainly going to only 16 KHz (generous evaluation I'd say!) isn't a
serious problem if you are recording voice and most music. If you want a
real education, take a recording of music and brickwall filter it (some DAW
software can do this easily) at decreasing frequencies until you hear a
difference at all. Then continue down until it looses "air", then looses
"sheen", and finally loses any sense of fidelity. You might be amazed how
low those frequencies are.

Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar
amp)?

1. Cheap
2. Durable
3. Known quantity
4. Doesn't require phantom power which may be an issue in a few relatively
rare cases.

Does it have some
advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

1. Cheap
2. Durable
3. Known quantity
4. Doesn't require phantom power which may be an issue in a few relatively
rare cases.

;-)

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with
the SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

Just take the SM58 ball off, if all you want to do is experiment. You'll end
up with something that is a little nicer than a SM57 because the SM57 grille
isn't perfectly acoustically transparent, either.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

From: "Gutter Butt"
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 23 Oct 2006 02:05:28 -0700

WHATCHOO GONNA DO WITH ALL THAT JUNK INSIDE YOUR TRUNK?!?!?!

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I'M GONNA USE MY HUMPS TO POO **EVERYWHERE**

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

LOL LOL LOL EW GROSS

TOWEL PLZ

I DARE YOU TO REPORT ME!!!!!!!!!

BUK BUK BWAAAAAAAAAAK YOU'RE TOO CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!

CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN

BUK BUK BUK BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK BUK BUK!!!!

YOU DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO REPORT ME!!!!!!!!

BUK BUK BUK BWAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN

I'M FILLED WITH POO (NOT THE CHICKEN KIND, THE PEOPLE KIND)

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN

Posted to rec.audio.pro
kellykevm kellykevm is offline

peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?
Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

In addition to what the others have said, the bass proximity effect
being so pronounced makes it useful in tight miking situations where
you want to thicken the sound without EQ. It is also more comfortable
than most condensers in extremely high SPL environments. Snare, 4X12
bottoms etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@earthlink.net is offline

I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rt55 rt55 is offline

On Oct 23, 9:26 pm, wrote:
I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

Umm...I'm afraid you might be confusing it with the EV 635A...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
wrote:
I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

No, that's what the EV 664 is for.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@earthlink.net is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

No, that's what the EV 664 is for.

I didn't mean that's all it's good for. I was refering to the notion
that if you can't find a hammer you can always grab a 57. An then put
it back on the stand and use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline

peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic

SM 57s actually have a pretty linear response an inch or two away from
the source. They are also amazingly good at ducking unwanted room
ambiance. I frequently set one up as a "listen" mike in the studio.

It has always been amazing how often it sounds better subjectively than
expensive, more accurate mikes. Unfortunately I've never been able to
completely predict when this was going to be the case so keeping an open
mind is important when using a 57.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

No, that's what the EV 664 is for.

I didn't mean that's all it's good for. I was refering to the notion
that if you can't find a hammer you can always grab a 57. An then put
it back on the stand and use it.

No, the EV 664 makes a much better hammer. It's a lot heavier. Plus,
the EV guys used to do advertisements in the 1960s with people using the
664 to hammer nails in. You'll still find people who call the 644 the
"Buchanan Hammer."
--scott

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH AN EV 666 PLEASE....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

peter wrote:

The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to 16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic (some say it is good with guitar amp)?

Maybe because guitar amps don't produce anything remotely near 16kHz ?

Does it have some advantages over condenser mics which usually have flatter
response and wider spectrum?

I already have a few SM58. Is there an alternative grill I can use with the
SM58 to turn it into a SM 57?

No but you can easily dig a hole to bury them in.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Bob Olhsson wrote:
peter wrote:
The frequency response of the SM57 has a few humps and goes only to
16KHz.
Why is it popular as instrument mic

SM 57s actually have a pretty linear response an inch or two away from
the source. They are also amazingly good at ducking unwanted room
ambiance. I frequently set one up as a "listen" mike in the studio.

It has always been amazing how often it sounds better subjectively than
expensive, more accurate mikes. Unfortunately I've never been able to
completely predict when this was going to be the case so keeping an open
mind is important when using a 57.

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Reedijk Rob Reedijk is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

peter wrote:
[...]

It's a shame Shure never made a screw-on cover that fit the threads
of a '58 that essentially would turn it into a '57. But I guess they
would sell fewer '57s! But this doesn't stop someone else from
doing it. For recording guys, this wouldn't be very useful as we
don't tend to use '58s. But for PA situations, this would be
very useful since they tend to use both types of mic all over the
place. In fact, the for folk festival I do every summer, we have
about 10x57s and 10x58s plus about dozen other mics---so we often are
using '58s when we run out of '57s.

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:56:04 -0700, rt55 wrote:

On Oct 23, 9:26 pm, wrote:
I can't believe it's 12 posts long and no one has used the word hammer.

Umm...I'm afraid you might be confusing it with the EV 635A...

The 635 is more of a tack hammer than a serious carpentry tool. It's
durable enough, but it doesn't have enough mass to bang a ten penny nail
into a 4x4.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

--scott

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH AN EV 666 PLEASE....

'cos that would be the devil's hammer ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Willie K. Yee, MD Willie K. Yee, MD is offline

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:07:28 GMT, Romeo Rondeau
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.

Can you name some examples?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.

Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.

Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rob Reedijk wrote:
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob

Argue with yourself, Rob.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:22:04 +0000, Rob Reedijk wrote:

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.

Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

There's no accounting for taste, but I'm also fond of the 257, as well as
the 757 and 408/468. And if the SM57 hadn't already been invented and
wasn't cheaper, the ATM25 might well qualify as the coolest cheap mic not
made by EV.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob

Argue with yourself, Rob.

What do you mean by that? I don't understand your statement.

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob

Argue with yourself, Rob.

What do you mean by that? I don't understand your statement.

Rob R.

I made a statement, plain and simple. If you're looking for an argument,
look somwhere else.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

There's no accounting for taste, but I'm also fond of the 257, as well as
the 757 and 408/468. And if the SM57 hadn't already been invented and
wasn't cheaper, the ATM25 might well qualify as the coolest cheap mic not
made by EV.

I would disagree on the ATM25, it basically sounds the same no matter
what you put it through, within reason of course. I didn't say the ND's
weren't good mikes, they just don't scale as well as a 57 in my opinion.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

I made a statement, plain and simple. If you're looking for an

argument,
look somwhere else.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!!!!!! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO ARGUE ON USENET,
ANYWAY?!?!?!

UGGGGGGGGGN I'M POOPING COME ON WATCH IT SLIDE OUT

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN FROZEN YOGURT MACHINE

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN

PLOP

FIZZ

I'VE GOT ALKA-SELTZER POO TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

Gutter Butt wrote:
I made a statement, plain and simple. If you're looking for an

argument,
look somwhere else.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!!!!!! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO ARGUE ON USENET,
ANYWAY?!?!?!

UGGGGGGGGGN I'M POOPING COME ON WATCH IT SLIDE OUT

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN FROZEN YOGURT MACHINE

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGN

PLOP

FIZZ

I'VE GOT ALKA-SELTZER POO TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.... you win ....you finally got me to do projectile coffee expulsion
from my nose AND Piehole!

Kevin T

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob

Argue with yourself, Rob.

What do you mean by that? I don't understand your statement.

Rob R.

I made a statement, plain and simple. If you're looking for an argument,
look somwhere else.

Argument? What is this a Monty Python sketch?
You've got to be kidding.

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.

Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?

Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

There's no accounting for taste, but I'm also fond of the 257, as well as
the 757 and 408/468. And if the SM57 hadn't already been invented and
wasn't cheaper, the ATM25 might well qualify as the coolest cheap mic not
made by EV.

Ditto on the 408 (forgot about that one!). Quite useful on percussion.
Maybe not my first choice, but quite workable. And the swivel head thing
makes it very convenient. Too may of the great sounding dynamics
can be difficult to place in tight quarters. Why DID they stop making
the MD409?...

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?
Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.

Rob
Argue with yourself, Rob.
What do you mean by that? I don't understand your statement.

Rob R.

I made a statement, plain and simple. If you're looking for an argument,
look somwhere else.

Argument? What is this a Monty Python sketch?
You've got to be kidding.

Rob R.

This parrot is dead, sir! :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Mick wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Not to mention that an sm57 sounds really good with a good preamp. Some
other mikes are not so fortunate.
Can you name some examples?

The EV ND series? Cheap AKG condensers? an ATM25?
Really? The E/V N/D 257B is quite useful for recording.
There's no accounting for taste, but I'm also fond of the 257, as well as
the 757 and 408/468. And if the SM57 hadn't already been invented and
wasn't cheaper, the ATM25 might well qualify as the coolest cheap mic not
made by EV.

I would disagree on the ATM25, it basically sounds the same no matter
what you put it through, within reason of course. I didn't say the ND's
weren't good mikes, they just don't scale as well as a 57 in my opinion.

Well, the ATM25 has been a great mic for me. For bass drum,
I like it better than the AKG football, and better than most mics
for live work. It also works great on some floor toms.

I'll take the football over the ATM25 any day, although the D112 is also
a one trick pony as far as mikes are concerned. Both mikes don't have
much use other than bass guitar and kick drum an an occasional floor tom
(even then they can get quite boomy)

Shure 545SD versus SM57? Roscoe East Pro Audio 5 August 4th 12 06:00 PM
good cheap mikes ? soundhaspriority Audio Opinions 157 April 24th 06 07:52 PM
good cheap mikes ? soundhaspriority Pro Audio 102 April 22nd 06 05:35 AM
Overloading the SM57 ? Mark Pro Audio 47 August 24th 04 12:25 PM
sm57 best? Matt Pro Audio 11 March 2nd 04 05:46 PM