Black Cree

Default Calling all sages and sonic prophets. I need to forget I'm recording while I'm recording!!!

To All,

I told myself I'd never post a DAW recommendation request post but, I'm in
dire need of some insight.
Here's the deal. For starters I'm very computer literate (Network Engineer
for 10 years) but, I'm sick of using my PC to track my projects. It
obstructs my creation process.

I'm tired of looking at a computer screen. I feel like I'm time synched and
slaved to my DAW. I miss the days of my 8-track. Now before you respond to
that I'll also share that I own and utilize a MCI JH-16 24 track 2" machine.
I do not own a commercial studio facility. The bulk of my income comes from
selling/licensing my music. I need a simpler way to create but, I do still
need to use my daw for various functions. I do not use digital EQ or plugins
much (Don't care for the sound). I am a VSTi freak but, lately I've
transitioned away from those because I'm tired of looking at miniature knobs
and sliders. I do have decent outboard and I mix through an analog desk
(Sound Workshop 34c).
I'm using Logic 5.5 to compose and Cubase SX to mix (Been using a DAW for 6
years now). I don't use midi much and the midi I use is generated from my
MPC60. I was thinking of purchasing a standalone DAW , to use along with my
2" (can't use 2" on every project...not economically practical), or possibly
a control surface.
Usually I play all of the instruments on my projects (Drums, Percussion,
Bass, Guitar, Rhodes and Wurlitzer). The PC always seems to distract my
attention while creating/tracking. I do consider the DAW an instrument but,
not one I enjoy playing.

I producer/compose soul/R&B/Hip-Hop/Jazz/Gospel/etc (Fela Kuti, The Last
Poets, Sly and the Family Stone, etc..). I'm an analog guy. I implement
digital tools because that's what my financial situation dictates. I'm not a
70 year old , old time radio fanatic. I'm not even 30 yet so, for those of
you saying this is some old rocker who's resistance to technological
advancement, your mistaken. I'm a 20 something Hip-Hop head ,from Harlem
,who produces soul music with live instruments.

Anyone experience something similar? Any Suggestions?

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I told myself I'd never post a DAW recommendation request post but, I'm in
dire need of some insight.

I'm tired of looking at a computer screen. I feel like I'm time synched and
slaved to my DAW. I miss the days of my 8-track. Now before you respond to
that I'll also share that I own and utilize a MCI JH-16 24 track 2" machine.
I do not own a commercial studio facility. The bulk of my income comes from
selling/licensing my music. I need a simpler way to create but, I do still
need to use my daw for various functions. I do not use digital EQ or plugins
much (Don't care for the sound).

I producer/compose soul/R&B/Hip-Hop/Jazz/Gospel/etc (Fela Kuti, The Last
Poets, Sly and the Family Stone, etc..). I'm an analog guy. I implement
digital tools because that's what my financial situation dictates.

Anyone experience something similar? Any Suggestions?

I'm not sure if you're actaully asking for anything but if you want to
get away from the computer, it sounds like you'd do well with a Mackie
HDR24/96 with analog I/O. Use it just like you use your MCI only it's
faster (for most things anyway), sounds digital, and the media is
cheap. The on-screen editing is excellent, and since you don't use
plug-in processing on your DAW, you won't miss that the Mackie doesn't
have any. Mix through your favorite mixing console.

These Mackie recorders are darn cheap and still viable if you want
digital and don't care about 96 kHz sample rate.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
philicorda

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:37:04 +0000, Black Cree wrote:

[...]

Keep it simple. Using two different programs is a bad idea.
If you need to do a load of editing and manipulation, and find that one
program works better than the other, but prefer mixing on another
program, then you are already deep into computer distraction world.

If you don't need to do a load of messing about, then just make some
multitrack templates in Logic or Cubase, and use it like a hardware DAW.
Then, you can get interaction down to track select, record, rewind and
play.

You don't have to stare at the screen all time time, resist the urge to
start cutting and pasting. Self control and discipline is the key, there
are always distractions.

I know this is very basic stuff, and not a technical solution. I have
found myself having inspiration sucked away by the computer too, and the
only solution that worked for me was to make templates and normalise the
io in my setup to require as little computer interaction as possible.

I producer/compose soul/R&B/Hip-Hop/Jazz/Gospel/etc (Fela Kuti, The Last
Poets, Sly and the Family Stone, etc..). I'm an analog guy. I implement
digital tools because that's what my financial situation dictates. I'm
not a 70 year old , old time radio fanatic. I'm not even 30 yet so, for
those of you saying this is some old rocker who's resistance to
technological advancement, your mistaken. I'm a 20 something Hip-Hop
head ,from Harlem ,who produces soul music with live instruments.

Anyone experience something similar? Any Suggestions?

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"More Than Tracks and Beats"
201.735.0097
www.blackcree.com

Black Cree

Great Advice from you both. I knew Mike Rivers would respond to the "Sage"
cry . Where's Arny Krueger??
yeah I was either considering going with a standalone DAW or a control
surface. I don't do much manipulation of my tracks. I do find that for my
R&B stuff 24 tracks doesn't cut it and that's mainly because I have some
insecure clients who want to layer stuff 7 and 8 times over.

The two programs things probably isn't the best idea.

So Mike, would you go with the Mackie DAW over a control surface?

Also, I'm not actually looking for a digital sound. I don't like digital
sound. It's just that I have a very affordable rate structure that I offer
to my clients. I often need to work as quickly as possible and the tape
doesn't allow me to do that , at times. I also don't mind , too much, mixing
tracks coming back from my layla24. For some clients I will do a DAW mix.
It's just more time/economically efficient.

I never record over 24bit/44khz. The Mackie sounds like a sound idea along
with the other methods mentioned because I'd still like to use Logic or
Cubase for vocals.

Thank You!

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"philicorda" wrote in message
news
[...]

Black Cree

For anyone interested someone suggested a numeric keypad taped to a Mic
stand in the control room to select and Arm tracks as well as a data
projector so, I could view the arrange/mixer window from across the room.

Both great ideas, IMO.

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"Black Cree" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

So Mike, would you go with the Mackie DAW over a control surface?

Well, that's my choice. The reason is that the Mackie just works
without any fooling around, without any external devices to control
it, and without any temptation to make it better with upgrades from
third party suppliers. There have been five software upgrades to the
Mackie (six if you count the extra-cost one with the ProTools
import/export, but that's just a variant of Version 1.4) over its
lifetime. There's been only one hardware upgrade (a $50 option), a
new BIOS chip that allows using larger disk drives than the original
design limit of 32 GB - well there was a firmware upgrade for early
production units but that was more than 3 years ago, plus the first
graphics boards don't work with the last software, but Mackie replaced
those on request.

There are some quirks, some things that we wish Mackie had implemented
differently that were never changed, and hardware does indeed break
occaionally, but for the most part these recorders are really
trouble-free and with only a couple of exceptions, are a very easy
adjustment for someone who is accustomed to working with an analog
recorder. And two of them integrate nicely for 48 tracks if you need
it (or 24 tracks at 96 kHz with AES/EBU I/O cards and external
converters, franky a pretty expensive proposition). Your second
recorder in a 48 track rig can be an MDR24/96 without the graphical
editing and you can still perform edits on its tracks based on
positioning of the "master" recorder with the GUI. Or take two MDRs
out for 48 tracks of remote recording.

Also, I'm not actually looking for a digital sound. I don't like digital
sound. It's just that I have a very affordable rate structure that I offer
to my clients.

To me, the Mackie sounds as good as my 2" Ampex but with flatter
frequency response and no flutter. I was never into the tape
saturation thing so I don't miss it. Some people use an analog
recorder as an effect processor but I don't particularly subscribe to
that either. I record almost exclusively acoustic music and it sounds
just fine for that.

I often need to work as quickly as possible and the tape
doesn't allow me to do that

One of the advantages of tape is that it IS quick. I know that people
fret over rewind time, but geez, just how fast do you want to work?
The speed in getting up and running (which isn't always billable time)
or for moving a project from a stored backup to where you can work on
it are slower on a DAW. The speed advantage of a DAW comes when you
want to listen to what you've done immediately, not 15 seconds later.
But I don't work that way. I personally don't find it any faster to
find a good note somewhere and use it to replace a bad one than to
re-do or punch-in a section, but that's just me. Some people would
rather do anything but re-record what's already been done.

I never record over 24bit/44khz. The Mackie sounds like a sound idea along
with the other methods mentioned because I'd still like to use Logic or
Cubase for vocals.

This is one of the things that the Mackie HDR24/96 is really good for.
Just like a DAW, you can set auto punch points, you can loop over a
section for repeated tries, and it has 8 "virtual takes" per track so
you can record a vocal (or a section of a vocal) up to eight times and
easily construct a composite track of the best pieces. While you don't
have EQ that you can add to a phrase, you do have a volume envelope
control so you can match levels in your edited track.

I expect to get harassed for promoting a piece of obsolete technology,
but hey, I've already been harassed for promoting analog recording, so
what the heck. Besides, I need every opportunity I can find to promote
my new book:

"The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder Manual"
http://www.cafepress.com/mikerivers

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Black Cree

Very informative.
When I say the digital route is more expedient for me, I mean there's no
maintenance routine. For my financially challenged clients I'll track
straight to digital because these are usually the clients who also don't
care if the tracks have that analog "warmth" or "likable" distortion.
These may be folks who are doing their mixes elsewhere or by themselves and
are hiring me for my creative expertise. On those projects I tend to use
VST's and maybe a live bass or guitar just to add some realism. Again, this
setup is for the financianally challenged folks I work with.

The Mackie sounds like the way to go. I won't ask for a comparison between
the various DAW's because there is more than enough in the RAP archives to
allow me to educate myself on that subject.

My dilemma was/is more rooted in my workflow and the obstructions that
hinder me from facilitating a thought to substance execution.

Thanks again! I have a lot of good stuff to go on.

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

[...]

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

When I say the digital route is more expedient for me, I mean there's no
maintenance routine.

Thanks for the laugh! You don't have to align heads, but unless you're
the most self-disciplined engineer on the planet, you'll constantly be
wanting to add things you your computer, you'll be hunting for new
drivers, updates to your software, security patches, making backups,
and so on. If that isn't maintenance, I don't know what is. The only
problem is that it's on your nickel and you can't really translate
that into your studio rates.

These may be folks who are doing their mixes elsewhere or by themselves and
are hiring me for my creative expertise. On those projects I tend to use
VST's and maybe a live bass or guitar just to add some realism. Again, this
setup is for the financianally challenged folks I work with.

Well, you have to give the clients what they want if you want to keep
those clients. Why can't you sell them your mixing creativity as well?

But for what it's worth, if your clients are going to take their files
elsewhere for mixing, the Mackie recorders will allow you to export
audio as broadcast wave files, but I'll warn you - figuring out what
you have and what goes with what is a bugger (but that's the same
situation with any DAW). The Mackie has a simple way to render tracks
so that all the punch-ins and edits get merged into a single file per
track. That's the best way to manage transfer to another system.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Black Cree

Your welcome for the laugh but, to clarify, I was comparing the maintenance
routine of dealing with my 2" as opposed to those of maybe a standalone DAW.
If I was comfortable with my current digital routine , there would have been
no need for this post. but, you're right , in a sense.

I do offer up my mixing creativity , as well but, because of the nature of
my business, many of my clients are not local to the NY/NJ area. They tend
to mix in the same places they record vocals. It actually works out better
for me because, my place isn't really setup for commercial traffic. I do
bring clients in from time to time but, I prefer to sell my work and be on
to the next project. I suppose I should also mention that I'm not too
impressed with my mixes at this stage of the game. Though they sound better
than the average Hip-Hop/R&B mix coming straight out of a Korg Triton into
Pro Tools LE being monitored on a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones, I have enough
respect and admiration for the role of the mix engineer to know/hear that my
mixes ain't nuthin' special.

I prefer to track at my studio and create and leave it at that. I do my own
mixes for my personal projects because I'll typically have the time to
dedicate to getting them right. I think it just takes me too long to mix due
to my lack of experience and know-how in that area.

Most people who hire me for my services just want something that sounds
radio ready. Now we all know that perusing that standard can be as
beneficial to your artistic development as a lead lifesaver is to a
fisherman. The clients who come with this contention always seem to have the
least amount of money as well as snicker when I tell them I have a 2"
machine and I'd prefer to play my Rhodes as opposed to the latest, greatest
Rhodes patch that they've burned for me on a CD.

Still, that Mackie is sounding better and better. I would use that for my
clients and still roll with my MCI for myself and for my clients who desire
it.

Either way, I can move away from my computer during the tracking/creation
process.
--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"More Than Tracks and Beats"
201.735.0097
www.blackcree.com
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

[...]

Peter Larsen

Black Cree wrote:

I'm tired of looking at a computer screen. I feel like I'm time
synched and slaved to my DAW. I miss the days of my 8-track.

Fostex!

Yusef Assaan

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Richard Kuschel

[...]

Alesis HD 24 and a fireport to transfer the files into your computer for mixing
and editing.

Dead simple, works like a tape recorder, decent sound and used all over the
country.

Richard H. Kuschel
Black Cree

Well I guess this would be about the same resolve as going with the Mackie
HDR. No?

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree
"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message

[...]

Richard Kuschel

Well I guess this would be about the same resolve as going with the Mackie
HDR. No?

--
Yusef Assaan
Black Cree