Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

Default Better FLAC player ? fast, good playlist, low cpu ?

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

VCL Media Player's playlist feature has all kinds of issues, permission issues, sometimes hard to use... sometimes player lags while playing audio during gaming... tryed more buffering... also seems to consume lots of CPU.

I'll google if something better is out there.

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

For PC.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
August Abolins August Abolins is offline

In a post between : All", on 5/6/2019 7:16 AM

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

I recently learned the Apple's Quicktime player (MAC) plays FLAC. I am not
sure if the Quicktime for PC is the same.

But.. then why not convert FLAC to AppleLossless and use that collection in
iTunes?

Hope that helps.
....A

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/05/2019 4:00 PM, August Abolins wrote:
In a post between : All", on 5/6/2019 7:16 AM

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

I recently learned the Apple's Quicktime player (MAC) plays FLAC. I am not
sure if the Quicktime for PC is the same.

But.. then why not convert FLAC to AppleLossless and use that collection in
iTunes?

Hope that helps.
...A

I take it you are running *VLC* Media Player on a Mac ? If not, and
target is Android why not convert the ALAC to FLAC to be more
universally portable. VLC Media Player for Android may be a better
design without the Mac constraints.

I use PowerAmp on my phone which, although I do FLAC, does play ALAC
files directly (I rip CDs into iTunes for 'convenince')..

None of the media give me a stiffy exactly, but isn't iTunes the
worst-ever application in the history of UI designs and workflow ? I am
stuck with iTunes to get stuff onto my ancient 4-Gen iPod Touch which is
so svelte and hi-design that you can't even insert most 3.5mm jacks
fully into it ;-0 .

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 7/05/2019 7:37 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
I use VLC (is that the same as your VCL?) for video and WinAmp for
audio. But I've never figured out how to create a playlist in any media
player that I've tried other than look for an "add to playlist" button
when you're actually playing a file.

I'd love to find one that I can just drag and drop file names into and
I'd have a playlist. And once I had a list of files, drag them around to
put them in the order I'd like to hear them. I'd particularly like to
have that for my Android phone, but they all seem to be more like "do
you want to add what you're listening to now to a playlist?"

Hell I've been using Winamp for a couple of decades, and dragging files
into the play window is easy, then simply save as a playlist. You don't
have to play any of them if you don't want to. And once you create a
playlist you can edit it in a text editor if necessary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/05/2019 6:09 PM, geoff wrote:
On 7/05/2019 4:00 PM, August Abolins wrote:
In a post between : All", on 5/6/2019 7:16 AM

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

I recently learned the Apple's Quicktime player (MAC) plays FLAC.Â*Â* I
am not
sure if the Quicktime for PC is the same.

But.. then why not convert FLAC to AppleLossless and use that
collection in
iTunes?

Hope that helps.
...A

I take it you are running *VLC* Media Player on a Mac ?Â* If not, and
target is Android why not convert the ALAC to FLAC to be more
universally portable. VLC Media Player for Android may be a better
design without the Mac constraints.

I use PowerAmp on my phone which, although I do FLAC, does play ALAC
files directly (I rip CDs into iTunes for 'convenince' ).

Ooops , read "convenience".
None of the media

Insert "players"

give me a stiffy exactly, but isn't iTunes the
worst-ever application in the history of UI designs and workflow ? I am
stuck with iTunes to get stuff onto my ancient 4-Gen iPod Touch which is
so svelte and hi-design that you can't even insert most 3.5mm jacks
fully into it ;-0 .

geoff

Read "geoff"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Trevor" wrote in message ...

[...]

I second that motion!

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/7/2019 3:52 AM, Trevor wrote:
I've been using Winamp for a couple of decades, and dragging files into
the play window is easy, then simply save as a playlist. You don't have
to play any of them if you don't want to. And once you create a playlist
you can edit it in a text editor if necessary.

I guess I've never looked that hard at Winamp, probably because I use
Winamp on my real computers and I don't really need a playlist there.
Where I want to make playlists is on my phone.

I don't think there's a real version of Winamp for Android. There are a
few out there that use Winamp in their name (on the Play Store) but
whenever I've tried one, it's always been something else. I've been
using HF-Player from Onkyo and it does what I want. It's not that hard
to make a play list but it's hard for me to remember how to do it since
it's something I do only once every couple of months. And if it's
drag-and-drop, I haven't found the right motion yet.

I don't have hundreds of songs on my phone. I record music radio
programs on a desktop computer, 1-3 hours long, that I like to play when
on a flight or long drive. I copy 10 or 15 hours worth of those to my
phone, and that's what I want to make the playlist from. The extent to
my playlist editing is to arrange the order of the programs so I don't
hear three of the same program in a row.

The last "Winamp" I tried for the phone pops up a message "you are using
an illegal copy of Vanilla Music. Get the real copy here...." I tried
that and it has some promise. I can open the folder with the programs,
mark the ones I want to take on this trip, add them to the playlist, and
then open the playlist to juggle the playing order. The real problem is
with working on the small screen - not enough space to open a "from" and
a "to" window at the same time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/05/2019 13:55, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/7/2019 3:52 AM, Trevor wrote:
I've been using Winamp for a couple of decades, and dragging files
into the play window is easy, then simply save as a playlist. You
don't have to play any of them if you don't want to. And once you
create a playlist you can edit it in a text editor if necessary.

I guess I've never looked that hard at Winamp, probably because I use
Winamp on my real computers and I don't really need a playlist there.
Where I want to make playlists is on my phone.

With care, playlists from Winamp for Windows can be used in Winamp for
Android.

I use this system with about 10,000 tracks in several hundred
directories and a few hundred playlists.

I don't think there's a real version of Winamp for Android. There are a
few out there that use Winamp in their name (on the Play Store) but
whenever I've tried one, it's always been something else.

looks innocent https://winamp.en.uptodown.com/android

The interface is slightly different, but it will accept Windows .m3u
playlists as long as the directory structures match. You need to tell
Android to permit installation of programs that are not in the store.

Say, store the playlists in Root music/playlists, and the music in
Root music/music.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

I stumbled upon foobar2000.

I am impressed by it.

It's simple and yet powerfull can do all sorts of things, especially via plugins.

It's playlist feature could still be better but for now it's a small improvement over VCL media player, maybe even large... cause of stupid vcl media permission issues in windows folders which is main reason why I want something else.

I highly recommend all audiophiles to give foobar2000 a try... especially for dsd/dts/sacd discs =D

Which are sony's/philips super audio cd's ! =D

I tried "return of the pink panther" iso and was amazed by it ! =D

There are plugins for sacd iso's and asio drivers and such.

Interesting stuff.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 11:37:30 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/6/2019 5:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Hi Mike,

Yes good spot, I ment VLC Media Player... gjez never knew those letters have to be swapped like that =D

The VLC Media player playlist feature works very strange/cumbersome and it works as follows:

(At least under windows it's like this):

1. First start the VLC media player.

2. Then click "media" (other programs call this menu item "file")

3. Then click "open multiple files".

4. Then click "file" if it's not already showing this tab.

4. Then click "add".

5. Then use the file explorer to add any files you want.

6. Hold shift or hold control to multi select files.

7. Then click open. Files will now be added.

8. Click the arrow next to play.

9. Choose "enqueue".

10. Click "media" again.

11. Click save playlist to file

12. Type in a name.

13. Click save.

As you can see many ****ed up and annoying steps necessary.

What's worse is... if you already playing a file it will also be added so it's totally ****ed up and annoying.

What's even more insane is if you continue to add files they'll all end up in a bunch... and then there are probably other file path/browsing quircks.

So you must completely restart VCL media player to have a clean slate, otherwise files you dont want will also be included.

But the most annoying part is that after a few months... they playlist develops some kind of ****ed up permissions issue with windows folder/file permissions...

It's very strange and I have no explanation for it... might be related to VHD attach service/virtual harddisks which I may or may not be using to store files.

So I am fed up with this media player bull****... it can also lag systems a bit... and sometimes it can't play certain music files fluently... because of hick ups...

On the plus side it does play a lot of file formats and videos and has brigthness adjustments and such... so I consider VLC media player essential.

However it's playlist feature is aggreviating me too much... it's just a waste of time for me for now.

So now I tried foobar2000 software !

And what a difference it makes... I am enjoying it currently.

It's a very simple player... if you choose the correct setup during installation... try choosing the easiest GUI and you'll love it I bet...

It's very simple.

Example how to create a playlist in foobar2000:

1. Click file

2. Click add files

or

2. Click add folder.

(The click folder is very sweet )

One can also start with a clean slate if you want by clicking:

1. Click File

2. Click new playlist

and then:

3. Click Add folder

add folder you want and it will automatically scan it and show a playlist.... it's very neat feature of foobar2000 !

4. Click file again

5. Click save playlist

6. enter name

7. Click save.

So as you can see it only requires half of the steps of vlc media player !

Only 7 instead of the convoluted 13 ****ed up steps =D

However playing the playlist inside of foobar2000 is a bit akward.

It's unclear what will happen if "play" is pressed.

Which playlist will it play ? Since foobar2000 can open multiple playlists..... each on it's own tab.

It's also akward switching between playlists/play to continue where it left off...

There is only an arrow on the active playlist... but the inactive playlists have no indicator where it was left off/last played... except single rectungalar selection box... which is a bit doubtfull confusing... was it me ? or was it the player that did draw this rectungular ?

So foobar2000 could still be a bit better in the "play" and "resume" functionality...

But either than that it's pretty sweet so far.

And you are probably in luck... it also has an android version I think...

But not sure if the android version has a playlist.

I think so, try it your luck here, it has download for "mobile" but it doesn't say if it's iphone or android... just google play store and such which probably means android... which is what you would want.

Try out foobar2000 for android !

And report back if it has a playlist feature for kicks ! =D

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

GOOD LUCK

AND MAY THE FOOBAR2000 FORCE BE WITH YOU !!!! ALWAAAYZZZZZZ =D

Bye,
Skybuck =DDDDD
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

Ok I wanna be fair to VLC Media Player so one more time the walkthrough for foobar2000:

1. Click file

2. Click new playlist

3. Click file

4. Click add folder

5. Click select folder

6. Click file

7. Click save playlist

8. Type playlist name

9. Click save

So it's actually 9 steps.

Still 4 steps shorter than VLC media player ! =D

What's kind ****ty about foobar2000 is the annoying "file" clicks...

Step 1, Step 3, Step 6,

So there are two unnecessary steps/clicks which could be avoided if there was a more thorough playlist wizard which specializes in creating playlist in one smooth go.

However in practice I don't mind these unnecessary steps yet... it does waste a lot of time though... so that's a shame. But it does allow one to check the playlist first before saving... and trying it out... playing... and while it plays you could save it.

However in the sake of time it would be nice if these steps were reduced from 9 to 7.

Maybe a future update of foobar2000 can reduce it further that be cool.

Another interesting idea of mine could be to introduce an "automatic" playlist creation tool/scanner.

Which simply scans the harddisk from a certain folder and perhaps even subfolders... and simply automatically creates a playlist per folder.

That would really float my boat for now =D

Or I would to develop such a feature myself.

In my next post I will examine VLC Media Player playlist contents vs that of foobar2000.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

So as promised let's compare VLC Media player playlist contents with that of foobar2000:

VLC Media Player playlist contents look like:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
playlist xmlns="http://xspf.org/ns/0/" xmlns:vlc="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/ns/0/" version="1"
titlePlaylist/title
trackList
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2001%20Intro.flac/location
titleIntro/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum1/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration17770/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id0/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2002%20Guard%20Duty.flac/location
titleGuard Duty/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum2/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration43792/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id1/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2003%20Something%27s%20Gonna%20Happen.flac/location
titleSomething's Gonna Happen/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum3/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration52162/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id2/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2004%20Skystrikers.flac/location
titleSkystrikers/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum4/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration30996/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id3/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2005%20Last%20Maharaja.flac/location
titleLast Maharaja/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum5/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration51976/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id4/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2006%20Destroy%20%26%20Rebuild.flac/location
titleDestroy & Rebuild/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum6/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration43800/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id5/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2007%20Part%202.flac/location
titlePart 2/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum7/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration19265/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id6/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2008%20Brute%20Force.flac/location
titleBrute Force/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum8/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration43758/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id7/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2009%20Battle%20Stations.flac/location
titleBattle Stations/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum9/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration68353/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id8/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2010%20Soundblaster.flac/location
titleSoundblaster/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum10/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration61655/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id9/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
track
locationfile:///C:/Media/Music/Killgrave/Transformers%20G1/Killgrave%20-%20Transformers%20G1%20-%2011%20Dinobots.flac/location
titleDinobots/title
creatorKillgrave/creator
albumTransformers G1/album
trackNum11/trackNum
annotationVisit http://killgrave.bandcamp.com/annotation
imageattachment://picture0.jpg/image
duration52305/duration
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:id10/vlc:id
vlcptionfile-caching=60000/vlcption
/extension
/track
/trackList
extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0"
vlc:item tid="0"/
vlc:item tid="1"/
vlc:item tid="2"/
vlc:item tid="3"/
vlc:item tid="4"/
vlc:item tid="5"/
vlc:item tid="6"/
vlc:item tid="7"/
vlc:item tid="8"/
vlc:item tid="9"/
vlc:item tid="10"/
/extension
/playlist

173 lines !!! for only 11 music files.

With lot's of hard to understand/modified mark up language crap... like html/xml

Really ****ing annoying.

Let's examine foobar2000 playlist:

WELL THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE....

It's binary... that's ****ed up... I was hoping it was textual... oh well.

For now I'll accept it..

Let's compare file sizes then:

VCL MEDIA PLAYER PLAYLIST SIZE: 7 KB
FOOBAR2000 PLAYLIST SIZE: 5 KB

Again foobar2000 is slightly more efficient than VLC media player.

Though VLC media player does allow modification of playlist via text editors... to correct VLC media player ordering errors funny enough.

Hopefully foobar2000 doesn't need that.

I just tried it... it's possibly to drag and drop files up/down...

However I accidently triggered an unwanted play... this is kinda annoying cause this stopped the playing of the other playlist I was playing.

Let's see if I can back to it and resume.

THIS IS THE ONE THING I HATE ABOUT FOOBAR2000 player... it doesn't remember where it was while playing.

IT'S SO FOKKING ANNOYING AND STUPID... I CAN'T BELIEVE that this foobar2000 player that has multiple playlist support CANT ****ING REMEMBER W?HERE T?HE **** IT WAS LOL.... HOW ANNALY IDIOTIC STUPID.

While sometimes geniuses can be stupid.

I am sure this is gonna **** me off quick.

So I'll register at it's forum and complain the **** about this.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the future... cause god ****ing almighty is this braindead stupid of foobar2000 =D

It would even be cool if it could store it digital inside the playlist file itself, so I could continue playing whenever the **** I want in whatever ****ing playlist order I want...

I does have some rememberance when the tool restarts... but only for last played file... not for entire playlists.

This needs fixing fast... cause this is a dirty mistake in this program... otherwise it's golden.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 7/05/2019 11:25 pm, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/05/2019 13:55, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/7/2019 3:52 AM, Trevor wrote:
I've been using Winamp for a couple of decades, and dragging files
into the play window is easy, then simply save as a playlist. You
don't have to play any of them if you don't want to. And once you
create a playlist you can edit it in a text editor if necessary.

I guess I've never looked that hard at Winamp, probably because I use
Winamp on my real computers and I don't really need a playlist there.
Where I want to make playlists is on my phone.

With care, playlists from Winamp for Windows can be used in Winamp for
Android.

Yes I was going to say that. And LOTs of other players can handle .m3u
playlists.
FAR easier to create them on a computer than a phone IMO.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

skybu wrote "Yes good spot, I ment VLC Media Player... gjez never knew those letters have to be
swapped like that =D "

It's something in the water and the air.. I do
that all the time! smh