Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default MOSFET output stage

Jorden Verwer wrote:

As for your personal attacks towards me, I should mention that I'm under the
impression that your experience with electronics outside audio applications
is fairly limited,

Radar, video, embedded control, computer graphics, DSP.

given that you've apparently never heard of the term
offset.

Offset is IRRELEVANT to output devices you complete MORON !

Do do you know what a 'closed loop' means ?

Don, can you smack this guy round the chops for me. He must be a recent product
of our educashun system.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Sorry, wrong address

http://81.174.169.10/odds/crossover.gif

Exactly. You CANNOT get rid of the crossover distortion.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

You get crossover distortion whatever the topology.
The mosfet curves match into each other far far better, plus you're already using more

feedback too. That amp I designed, quite seriously had invisible crossover distortion on an AP
analyser's output.

I'm sure it did, but that is the amp, not the output stage. See my next
post.

What good is an amp without an output stage ? Or vice-versa. I'm not interested in how many fairies

can dance on the head of a pin. I'm intereted in real products you can build reliably in quantity
production..

We're talking about the difference between fet and bipolar output
stages. It is simple to reduce distortions in amplifiers with either to
negligible proportions, which is why, for the purposes of the chat, it
is necessary to restrict the chat to output stages per se.

I don't recall that being the OP's question.

Care to run a sim of the harmonic spectrum of a bipolar output stage vs lateral mosfet ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Kevin Aylward[_3_] Kevin Aylward[_3_] is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"RichD" wrote in message
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output
driver?

**Non-sequitur. If you're saying that MOSFET outputs sound better,
they don't.

As a device, operating at typical bias currents (say) 10-50mA, MOSFETs
exhibit VASTLY more THD than BJTs. Only when bias currents are
elevated (around 0.5A - 1A) do MOSFETs exhibit THD characteristics
which are almost as good as BJTs.

MOSFETs are very tough, have an exceptional ability to deliver high
power, high frequency audio (and RF), but distortion is very high.
They require lots of Global NFB in order to operate linearly.

MOSFETs do not sound better than BJTs. At best, they can sound as
good. All things being equal.

Ahmm.... welll....here we go...

Well, I like mosfet outputs because they are easier to design with, imo.
Bipolars, often need an equivelent of 3 stage darlingtons. This makes it a
tad harder to stabilse the feedback loop because of each stage pole.

Basically, you only need about 6 low current transistors, or so, to achieve
silly distortion and bandwidth figures, with mosfets.

As far as "sounds better", that's all moot. Any competently designed amp
should have thd, imd below audibility.

Anyone that claims that a general purpose PA amp, sounds bad or not good, if
it has thd and imd 0.005% and slew rates of 100V/us, is pretty much
delusional. Roll on the £200 oxygen free mains cable I say....

Kevin Aylward

www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jorden Verwer Jorden Verwer is offline

Eeyore wrote:
given that you've apparently never heard of the term
offset.

Offset is IRRELEVANT to output devices you complete MORON !

I know that, and I never claimed otherwise. Offset is a form of noise, in a
sense. And like noise, it is caused almost completely by the input
transistors. I'm well aware of all that.

Do do you know what a 'closed loop' means ?

Yes.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"RichD" wrote

[...]

Seems to be a few that miss that though. Esp those Chinese copies of copies.

Anyone that claims that a general purpose PA amp, sounds bad or not good, if
it has thd and imd 0.005% and slew rates of 100V/us, is pretty much
delusional. Roll on the £200 oxygen free mains cable I say....

Why stop at £200 ? Oh !
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudicati..._ADJ_44177.htm

Kevin, you'd be just the guy to do a harmonic analysis of the distortion
spectrum of a properly biased bipolar vs lateral mosfet amp wouldn't you ? Any
chance ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
given that you've apparently never heard of the term
offset.

Offset is IRRELEVANT to output devices you complete MORON !

I know that, and I never claimed otherwise.

Yes you did.

BUGGER OFF YOU IMBECILE.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Offset is a form of noise, in a sense.

Every one a cracker. Maybe he hasn't heard of DC vs AC analysis ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Offset is a form of noise, in a sense.

Every one a cracker. Maybe he hasn't heard of DC vs AC analysis ?

Let me put it this way...

Noise-like phenomena, in increasing order of bandwith:
Offset == 1/f noise == white noise

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
RichD RichD is offline

On Sep 17, Eeyore wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output
driver?

As a driver ?

Now if you said as an output stage it might make sense.

There's a difference?

--
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Offset is a form of noise, in a sense.

Every one a cracker. Maybe he hasn't heard of DC vs AC analysis ?

Let me put it this way...

Noise-like phenomena, in increasing order of bandwith:
Offset == 1/f noise == white noise

Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

RichD wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output
driver?

As a driver ?

Now if you said as an output stage it might make sense.

There's a difference?

Damn right there is.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
RichD RichD is offline

On Sep 18, "Kevin Aylward" wrote:
[...]

Do you have any experience designing audio amps?
Which did you use?

--
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:55:35 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Offset is a form of noise, in a sense.

Every one a cracker. Maybe he hasn't heard of DC vs AC analysis ?

Let me put it this way...

Noise-like phenomena, in increasing order of bandwith:
Offset == 1/f noise == white noise

Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Everything is AC when you get right down to it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jorden Verwer Jorden Verwer is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Not at all. You're oversimplifying. If offset were truly DC, it wouldn't
drift. And it does drift. Likewise, white noise also has an (infinitesimal)
component at DC. It isn't all as black and white as you claim it to be. I
realize this is a very theoretical approach, but I stand by my claim that
offset and noise are conceptually similar.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

RichD wrote:

"Kevin Aylward" wrote:
[...]

LMAO ! Yes, Kevin had indeed had as have I. Amps that sold commercially into the
pro-audio market. I can't even estimate how many tens of thousands in my case.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Offset is a form of noise, in a sense.

Every one a cracker. Maybe he hasn't heard of DC vs AC analysis ?
Let me put it this way...

Noise-like phenomena, in increasing order of bandwith:
Offset == 1/f noise == white noise

Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Everything is AC when you get right down to it.

I call it moving DC. It never will stay still. ;~)

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Not at all. You're oversimplifying. If offset were truly DC, it wouldn't
drift.

Drift is a different phenomenon unrelated to noise. Usually thermally caused.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.

Not at all. You're oversimplifying. If offset were truly DC, it wouldn't
drift.

Drift is a different phenomenon unrelated to noise. Usually thermally

caused.
I meant drift of the offset. Of course drift is different from noise.
But offset really does have a lot in common with noise, when you think about
it.

Also, noise is often thermally caused as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jorden Verwer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.
Not at all. You're oversimplifying. If offset were truly DC, it wouldn't
drift.

Drift is a different phenomenon unrelated to noise. Usually thermally

caused.
I meant drift of the offset. Of course drift is different from noise.
But offset really does have a lot in common with noise, when you think about
it.

Not at all in any remote way shape or form.

Also, noise is often thermally caused as well.

Do you think you're telling me something I don't already know. I keep
Boltzmann's Constant in my head for that pirpose.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Tony[_11_] Tony[_11_] is offline

Exactly. I believe that even the very worst designers were generally able to get a
half-decent result with MOSFETs, whereas bipolars require a little more skill. So it may
well be that MOSFETs DO sound better in car audio, consumer-grade home theatre and cheap
"pro" sound systems, where the standards of the products and the designers are low.
Tony

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:52:28 -0500, Damon Hill wrote:

RichD wrote in news:b78fc9c2-fe9c-444c-8ac5-
:

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output
driver?

They do? Seems like it's possible to design good amplifiers either
way.

--Damon

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Jorden Verwer wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Noise is AC
Offset is DC

End of story.
Not at all. You're oversimplifying. If offset were truly DC, it

wouldn't
drift.

Drift is a different phenomenon unrelated to noise. Usually thermally

caused.
I meant drift of the offset. Of course drift is different from noise.
But offset really does have a lot in common with noise, when you think

about
it.

Not at all in any remote way shape or form.

Don't you at least agree there are many similarities between 1/f noise and
offset?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Vladimir Vassilevsky"

However there are few special cases when a FET output stage has an
advantage:

1) With FETs, it is simpler to control bias current, because of the
negative dependency from the temperature.

** Completely wrong.

The tempco of typical (ie switching) fets is strongly positive - the gate
threshold voltage drops by about 6mV per degree C.

Bias compensation is non trivial and crucial to get right or thermal runaway
is likely.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:49:59 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output driver?

Because you believe they will.

Because they CAN. By a country mile. But all people want today is cheap. And
if they want esoteric they want the high distortion of tubes instead of
ultra-low THD of well-engineered mosfet amps.

And just to complicate an already messy thread, vacuum valves
can easily have lower intrinsic distortion than any modern
device. Lots of other issues, of course, but transfer curves
with exponents below 1.05 were delivered before we were born.
Before they could even be measured, in fact.

But as you say, all people want today is cheap, and there
are cheaper ways of delivering a finished product of low
distortion than using devices of highest intrinsic linearity.

Your attempts to keep the discussion focussed on the small
end of signal level are admirable. Too many folks make too
many assumptions of monotonicity that aren't (ever!, actually)
true.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Good
power amps sound the same and they sound like a piece of wire with gain.

There are tons of power amps that can't be distinguished from a piece of
wire with gain, while driving well-designed speakers.

Ah, but since audiophools argue endlessly about cable and wire
characteristics, you need to specify exactly what TYPE of wire with gain.
:-) :-)

MrT.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Fred Bartoli" " " wrote in message
Please explain how you obtain even distortion products from a
symmetrical (suppose paired mosfets) push-pull.

Any symmetrical function produces odd (and no even) harmonics.

But isn't that part of the problem, producing Mosfets with identically
symmetrical characteristics in N-ch and P-ch ?
Of course good circuit design can compensate for many such factors, so the
final result is what is important, not some evangelical belief, IMO.

MrT.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Damon Hill wrote:

RichD wrote in
:

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio
amp output driver?

They do? Seems like it's possible to design good
amplifiers either way.

--Damon

Exactly - zero difference in quality capabilities. It's
usually a matter of impedance matching. Silicon
transistors have a fixed loss around 0.5 volts. MOSFETs
have a resistive loss inversely proportional to their
voltage rating. That usually makes MOSFETs less
expensive for low impedances and transistors less
expensive for high impedances.

TOTAL AND COMPLETE GARBAGE.

Agreed. Actually, what Kevin said is the exact reverse of generally accepted
practical knowledge. Bipolar is generally more efficient when the impedances
get really low. MOSFETs were trendy for a while, but most new power amp
designs seem to have bipolar outputs.

Time to check the specs for this decade. Visit IRF. You can get a
surface mount MOSFET in package similar to TO-220 that has 0.0008 Ohms
on resistance, 300W dissipation, 24V rating, and a 1600A surge rating.

Now I remember why I left this newsgroup.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Mr.T"
"Fred Bartoli"
Eeyore

Please explain how you obtain even distortion products from a
symmetrical (suppose paired mosfets) push-pull.

Any symmetrical function produces odd (and no even) harmonics.

But isn't that part of the problem, producing Mosfets with identically
symmetrical characteristics in N-ch and P-ch ?

** For switching MOSFETs ( ie Hexfets etc ) there are no true
complimentary P and N pairs - not even close. The P ch types all have
much higher "on" resistances and lower max drain current ratings compared to
their Nch counterparts.

OTOH - lateral MOSFETs ( ie 2SK176 and 2SJ56 etc ) are near perfect
Nch and Pch compliments - varying slightly in gate capacitance.

More symmetrical in an audio output stage than nearly any BJT compliments
around.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Kevin McMurtrie"

Time to check the specs for this decade. Visit IRF. You can get a
surface mount MOSFET in package similar to TO-220 that has 0.0008 Ohms
on resistance, 300W dissipation, 24V rating, and a 1600A surge rating.

** So you can use it to replace the engine starter relay in a car.

Yawnnnnnnn ....

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:06:43 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Damon Hill wrote:

[...]

IR is famous for creating incredible specs, with tiny footnotes
retracting the wilder numbers. No TO-220 is going to last long at 300
watts; not many milliseconds.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Chronic Philharmonic Chronic Philharmonic is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote
RichD wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp
output driver?

MOSFETS HAVE WIDER BANDWIDTH ,less phase shift , lower
odd harmonic distortin. on and on.

Not in any relevant way for audio power amps.

The first two are highly relevevant in ANY circuit using NFB. Basic
stability criteria.

Only if the bandwidth and the phase margins are small relative to the target
audio bandwidth, which is unlikely.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments Chris. I consider the small signal area vitally
important, since in practive most listening is done there.

Another cute little twist is that AIUI (it was reported to me by a Singapore
distributor) is that the classic QSC grounded collector circuit has a low level
montonicity problem due to the voltage gain of the out darlington output
arrangement 'jumping' as the large devices turn on (they're normally off).

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Fred Bartoli" " " wrote

Please explain how you obtain even distortion products from a
symmetrical (suppose paired mosfets) push-pull.

Any symmetrical function produces odd (and no even) harmonics.

But isn't that part of the problem, producing Mosfets with identically
symmetrical characteristics in N-ch and P-ch ?
Of course good circuit design can compensate for many such factors, so the
final result is what is important, not some evangelical belief, IMO.

Fred is thinking of push-pull transformer coupled arrangements. He needs to
advance about 4-5 decades.

That's one reason I never call modern amps push-pull but complementary
symmetry instead.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
Damon Hill wrote:
RichD wrote in

[...]

These are NOT used in audio amps.

Learn something about LATERAL mosfets that were designed for audio. I've already
given part number and links to data sheets.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

IR is famous for creating incredible specs, with tiny footnotes
retracting the wilder numbers. No TO-220 is going to last long at 300
watts; not many milliseconds.

You simply can't get that many watts through that tiny tab of copper fast enough. I
think the highest continuous ratings are in the 50-70W area.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Chronic Philharmonic wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote
RichD wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp
output driver?

MOSFETS HAVE WIDER BANDWIDTH ,less phase shift , lower
odd harmonic distortin. on and on.

Not in any relevant way for audio power amps.

The first two are highly relevevant in ANY circuit using NFB. Basic
stability criteria.

Only if the bandwidth and the phase margins are small relative to the target
audio bandwidth, which is unlikely.

Modern audio amplifiers are expected to have a bandwidth far greater than 20kHz.
If not, you may experience slew limiting problems and associated THD and IMD
IIRC.

Yet another one totally out of date with modern practice.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:23:29 -0700, the renowned John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:06:43 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Damon Hill wrote:

[...]

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220. The
fusing current of a long wire of that cross-section area is only in
the 30-50A range. 100A-rated wire is around 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Spehro Pefhany"

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220.

** Not if it is only for a few microseconds.

That is how the things are usually rated.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message

Arny Krueger wrote:

This whole "amp sounds better" stuff was fully debunked
30 years ago. Good power amps sound the same and they
sound like a piece of wire with gain.

There are tons of power amps that can't be distinguished
from a piece of wire with gain, while driving
well-designed speakers.

There are quite a few amps that meet the same criteria
while driving even the weirdest speaker load.

A really good power amp will destroy a poorly-designed
speaker before it starts sounding bad, and really good
power amps aren't all that unique.

The speaker is a large part of it. Highly reactive ( i.e.
lots of inductance or capacitance ) speakers can
prematurely trigger device protection.

Agreed. Speakers that require heroic amplifiers (heroic amps definitely
exist and are easy enough to obtain) are IMO not well designed.

We discovered that
EV's SX500 was particularly bad in this respect in PA for
example. Now that is certainly audible.

Agreed. However we have only part of the equation - the name of the
speaker. What was the amp?

The SX 500i EDS suggests that it might be a handful for weak-kneed amps. Its
impedance curve does go down to 4 ohms at several points below 1 KHz.

http://www.electrovoice.com/documents/ev/sx500-eds.pdf

Using pairs paralleled can be a short road to amp problems.

In contrast, the sequel ZX-5 stays above 8 ohms over the same range:

http://www.electrovoice.com/document...X560PI_EDS.pdf

Needless to say, I have 4 ZX-5s. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
MooseFET MooseFET is offline

On Sep 18, 5:05*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 17, 6:12 pm, RichD wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp
output driver?

MOSFETS HAVE WIDER BANDWIDTH ,less phase shift , lower
odd harmonic distortin. on and on.

Not in any relevant way for audio power amps.

This is not true.

The phase shift in the output section of a power amplifier is a
significant issue. If you want to have much of a gain sacrifice
factor in the audio band, the gain cross over point will be well above
the audio band.

NFB can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It can only lower the
distortion by about the gain sacrifice factor. This makes if better
to start with a low distortion topology.

Rumors aside MOSFETs are not really easier to operate in parallel.
You still need emitter / source resistors.