Neil

Default Best Bookshelfs not more than $400

"Dave" wrote in message ...
CDs = 3%
DVDs = 5%
Radio = 10%
TV audio = 2%
Music stored on PC = 75%
Internet-based radio stations = 5%

I think a stereo receiver would be good choice. You could buy a used
receiver for maybe $25-$75 from a classified ad, flea market, pawn
shop, etc. However, www.jandr.com offers a new Sherwood receiver
w/remote for $100. I haven't seen or heard it, but I assume it would
be fine. You could also look at whatever receivers are the cheapest at
big stores like Best Buy or Circuit City; you might find some
receivers there for $100 or a little more.

I suggest a receiver because that would give you the radio tuner
you'll need, then you could connect the DVD player, TV (assuming it
has audio outputs), and the PC to your receiver.

Then with your remaining $$$, you could buy a pair of speakers.

In another post, you mentioned some of the big stores like Best Buy
and Circuit City. There are some good speakers there, but there's
usually so much noise in those stores and the rooms are so big that
it's hard to get a good listen to speakers in such stores. If you buy
speakers there, make sure to get return privileges.

BTW, the Athena speakers have gotten impressive reviews in the audio
press, and as you mentioned, you can now find Athenas at Best Buy
stores. Best Buy also has some Klipsch speakers now also. I tried to
listen to the above at my local BB store last weekend, but the store
was so noisy that I couldn't hear 'em properly.

One of the big advantages of the smaller audio stores is that it's
usually much easier to listen to the speakers.

I like the idea of powered speakers, but if you need a radio tuner and
have so many things you'll be listening to (CD/DVD player, PC, radio,
TV, etc.) that I think a receiver makes more sense for you, because a
receiver will have a selector switch to let you choose what you want
to listen to. Also, the receiver will be easy to connect to
conventional speakers and also have a headphone jack.

More or less...By the way, I'd group PC music and Internet radio stations
together because it's the same quality and encoding of music and the same
output (sound card). I might also put CD audio with this, given that I'd
play CDs via computer - higher quality, but same output quality.

BTW, sorry to take so long to respond. Been away from my home PC for
awhile.

(snip)