gmgenett

Default WTB quad KT90

Looking for a matched quad of Ei KT90s. I'll be running them at ‰460V &
80-85mA, so no current/recent production models, please. For an H-K
Citation, triode. If you've an older quad gathering dust and they go to
120mA or so without burning, drop me a note. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Patrick Turner

gmgenett wrote:

Looking for a matched quad of Ei KT90s. I'll be running them at ‰460V &
80-85mA, so no current/recent production models, please. For an H-K
Citation, triode. If you've an older quad gathering dust and they go to
120mA or so without burning, drop me a note. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

New Sensor are selling new KT90 EH made in Russia, and I have had good
reports
about them, ie better than the Yugo EI types.

Patrick Turner.

Jim McShane

Patrick Turner wrote:

New Sensor are selling new KT90 EH made
in Russia, and I have had good reports
about them, ie better than the Yugo EI types.

Quality wise - absolutely! The EH KT90s are
very well made, in fact all the EH stuff is
really well constructed these days.

However, tone wise the EH tube is a turd,
sadly. It is not just my opinion, I've asked a
number of people and they all say the same.
It's just blah... the Ei is hugely superior.

I really wanted the EH to be a good sounding
tube, their KT-88 did so well I had high hopes
for the KT-90. But no such luck I'm afraid.

There are a few posts about it on the Tubes
Asylum if anyone wants to look - search on EH
KT-90.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Patrick Turner

Jim McShane wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

New Sensor are selling new KT90 EH made
in Russia, and I have had good reports
about them, ie better than the Yugo EI types.

Quality wise - absolutely! The EH KT90s are
very well made, in fact all the EH stuff is
really well constructed these days.

However, tone wise the EH tube is a turd,
sadly. It is not just my opinion, I've asked a
number of people and they all say the same.
It's just blah... the Ei is hugely superior.

My experience with EH/sovtek tubes is not all bad at all
as regards "the sound" .
Not all good, I didn't like the 6CG7EH I got.
Not as good as telefunkens, Mullards, or Oz made Miniwatts.
Maybe it was the batch, maybe next time I get better...

I really wanted the EH to be a good sounding
tube, their KT-88 did so well I had high hopes
for the KT-90. But no such luck I'm afraid.

I have had some glowing reports for both bottles.
The 6550EH also, and good reports for the
"poor man's 6550", ie, the 6CA7.

Patrick Turner.

There are a few posts about it on the Tubes
Asylum if anyone wants to look - search on EH
KT-90.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Jim McShane

Patrick Turner wrote...

My experience with EH/sovtek tubes is not all
bad at all as regards "the sound" .

I'm with you, I like a lot of the stuff. The KT-88
is terrific. I wish their KT-90 was as good!!

Not all good, I didn't like the 6CG7EH I got.

No experience here with that one yet.

I have had some glowing reports for both bottles.
The 6550EH also, and good reports for the
"poor man's 6550", ie, the 6CA7.

I'm not carrying the 6550EH at this point, but the
big bottle 6CA7s are quite nice, we agree!