Jeremy

Default Skating problem

I've been borrowing a cheap Pioneer turntable that's several years old in order
to convert some records to CD's. After not using it for 3 or 4 months I put a
record on it this evening and immediately had a severe skating problem. One
time it even skated from the first track all the way to the paper center. Now,
I have kept this unit in a somewhat remote area of the house and to my knowledge
nobody has messed with it. What could have caused this problem? Is the stylus
damaged and do I need to replace the cartridge? I tried adjusting both the
anti-skate settings and counterbalance both ways but it seems to make no
difference whatsoever. I'm a newbie when it comes to turntables so keep that in
mind.

Thanks in advance,
JC
John Fields

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:09:57 GMT, Jeremy wrote:

I've been borrowing a cheap Pioneer turntable that's several years old in order
to convert some records to CD's. After not using it for 3 or 4 months I put a
record on it this evening and immediately had a severe skating problem. One
time it even skated from the first track all the way to the paper center. Now,
I have kept this unit in a somewhat remote area of the house and to my knowledge
nobody has messed with it. What could have caused this problem? Is the stylus
damaged and do I need to replace the cartridge? I tried adjusting both the
anti-skate settings and counterbalance both ways but it seems to make no
difference whatsoever. I'm a newbie when it comes to turntables so keep that in
mind.

---
Is it level?

--
John Fields

Karl Uppiano

"Jeremy" wrote in message
[...]

Severe skating like this almost surely means the stylus is damaged or
missing entirely (the stylus itself, which is barely visible; not the
cantilever, which is easily visible). Otherwise, the tracking force might be
set way too low. In case you're wondering, taping coin(s) to the tonearm is
definitely *not* the way to increase the tracking force.

Most phono pickups require 1 to 3 grams of downward force at the stylus. If
the turntable has a calibrated tracking force adjustment, you can set it to
0 and adjust the counter-weight so that the tonearm floats level, then turn
the tracking force adjustment to 2 grams or so. The best pickups can track
at around 1 gram, but most will tolerate up to 3 grams (for your purposes).
If you are going to be using the turntable constantly, you would need to
find out what the optimum tracking force is for that pickup, and set it
accordingly.

unitron

Jeremy wrote in message news:VLpac.142667$Cb.1505583@attbi_s51...
I've been borrowing a cheap Pioneer turntable that's several years old in order
to convert some records to CD's. After not using it for 3 or 4 months I put a
record on it this evening and immediately had a severe skating problem. One
time it even skated from the first track all the way to the paper center. Now,
I have kept this unit in a somewhat remote area of the house and to my knowledge
nobody has messed with it. What could have caused this problem? Is the stylus
damaged and do I need to replace the cartridge? I tried adjusting both the
anti-skate settings and counterbalance both ways but it seems to make no
difference whatsoever. I'm a newbie when it comes to turntables so keep that in
mind.

Thanks in advance,
JC

If it's level then it sounds as though perhaps the diamond tip on
the stylus is missing so that there's actually nothing there small
enough to fit down into the groove.

Barry Mann

In VLpac.142667$Cb.1505583@attbi_s51, on 03/31/04
at 02:09 AM, Jeremy said:

I've been borrowing a cheap Pioneer turntable that's several years old
in order to convert some records to CD's. After not using it for 3
or 4 months I put a record on it this evening and immediately had a
severe skating problem. One time it even skated from the first track
all the way to the paper center.

[ ... ]

Skating toward the label is often a sign that the turntable is not
level, however, if the stylus force is reasonable, gross skating is
usually the result of a damaged stylus assembly. A visual inspection is
in order. Use a magnafying glass if needed and inspect the stylus bar
and the diamond at the tip. On cheap cartridges I expect the stylus bar
to be a round, straight tube. The tube should not have any caved-in
sections. There are various ways to attach the diamond. The end of the
tube may be flattened to form a pad that for the diamond.

When viewed from the side, the cartridge body should stand away from
and be parallel to the record surface. Typically, the diamond is not
exactly perpendicular to the record surace. The top of the diamond may
lean away from the arm pivot a few degrees.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Jeremy

Unfortunately I believe the stylus is damaged. The more I think about it, the
more I think that several weeks ago I bumped the cabinet and the tonearm fell
from its rest. Bummer, I know, but I can take a little comfort in the fact that
it's a cheap unit. However, what do you guys recommend for a stylus? I need a
budget one that won't break the bank. Currently it has a LAS30 but I can't seem
to find these. Ebay is an option for me, any opinion on this?

Thanks,
JC

at 02:09 AM, Jeremy said:

[...]

Jeremy

I know to a purist this is sacrilege, paying this kind of money, but would this
cartridge be suitable for occasional use? This turntable uses a standard 1/2"
mount. Can I use most any 1/2" mountable cartridge?

Thanks,
JC

Jeremy wrote:

I've been borrowing a cheap Pioneer turntable that's several years old
in order to convert some records to CD's. After not using it for 3 or 4
months I put a record on it this evening and immediately had a severe
skating problem. One time it even skated from the first track all the
way to the paper center. Now, I have kept this unit in a somewhat
remote area of the house and to my knowledge nobody has messed with it.
What could have caused this problem? Is the stylus damaged and do I
need to replace the cartridge? I tried adjusting both the anti-skate
settings and counterbalance both ways but it seems to make no difference
whatsoever. I'm a newbie when it comes to turntables so keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance,
JC

Barry Mann

In C2gbc.159225$1p.2040673@attbi_s54, on 04/02/04
at 03:56 PM, Jeremy said:

Unfortunately I believe the stylus is damaged. The more I think about
it, the more I think that several weeks ago I bumped the cabinet and
the tonearm fell from its rest. Bummer, I know, but I can take a
little comfort in the fact that it's a cheap unit. However, what do
you guys recommend for a stylus? I need a budget one that won't
break the bank. Currently it has a LAS30 but I can't seem to find
these. Ebay is an option for me, any opinion on this?

I think it is risky. I'm not implying that someone will try to cheat
you, but that the seller may not know the true condition of the stylus
or won't be able to pack it correctly for safe shipment.

In addition to any obvious damage, a stylus degrades with age. A "new",
in the box, never been played 15 year old cartridge is not a great
deal.