Rob

Default Streaming Audio without a soundcard

I have ripped my entire CD collection to MP3's for easier access in my
home theatre setup. I've been using my modded XBox with XBMC to play
them lately but have noticed that some of them do not work for some
reason (all MP3's were made with Audio Catalyst at 320Kbps and exactly
the same settings). I've never had a problem playing them on my PC
before. I've also thought the current setup is somewhat limited, so I
want to setup a shoutcast or icecast audio stream in my house.

Here is the problem:

I have all my mp3's on a 500GB Raid array on a FreeBSD server. I want
to do all the streaming from the FreeBSD box and do not want to run
any extra software from my windows machine. The FreeBSD box does not
have X11 installed and does not have a monitor hooked up to it. I also
do not have a soundcard install in the FreeBSD box.

Does anyone know if it's possible to setup the streaming in this
fashion? So far it seems like all the how-to's I've found expect you
to have a soundcard but I can't figure out what for.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob

I tried the SlimServer and it works GREAT! super easy to setup from
the ports collection on FreeBSD. I even went ahead and upgraded it
from their website and that was easy too. The only problem I have with
it is that you can't seem to have 1 stream that all systems listen
from. I don't suppose you know how to make it do that? I looked at the
SoftSqueeze program but I'm not too excited about it.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. It made the process super easy.

--
Rob

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:44:59 GMT, Lucas Tam
wrote:

Lucas Tam wrote in
0:

(Rob) wrote in news:83330b39.0411301111.79699b44
@posting.google.com:

I have all my mp3's on a 500GB Raid array on a FreeBSD server. I want
to do all the streaming from the FreeBSD box and do not want to run
any extra software from my windows machine. The FreeBSD box does not
have X11 installed and does not have a monitor hooked up to it. I
also do not have a soundcard install in the FreeBSD box.

Does anyone know if it's possible to setup the streaming in this
fashion? So far it seems like all the how-to's I've found expect you
to have a soundcard but I can't figure out what for.

I think the Turtle Beach Audiotron can stream without software. There
is a software server too for added features.

Another choice is SlimDevices SlimMp3 uses the SilmServer which is a perl
script. Roku's M1000/M2000 also uses SlimServer.

Looking for audio receiver for TV setup Mack McKinnon Tech 2 November 15th 04 05:36 PM
capturing streaming audio Jon M Tech 72 February 23rd 04 04:32 AM
Recommended sound cards to record audio input? Matt Tech 20 January 26th 04 11:25 AM
How to get streaming audio in a car ? Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology Car Audio 9 January 14th 04 03:04 AM
Dithering Digital Audio Karl Uppiano High End Audio 12 December 30th 03 04:12 AM