james

Default Minijack to speaker conversion?

Is it possible to connect normal speaker cables (the ones that require the
grip things) to a mini-jack style output on a soundcard? If so, how do I do
it?

Sorry for my lack of technical language but I don't really have a clue.

Kalman Rubinson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:26:37 -0000, "james" wrote:

Is it possible to connect normal speaker cables (the ones that require the
grip things) to a mini-jack style output on a soundcard? If so, how do I do
it?

Sorry for my lack of technical language but I don't really have a clue.

Sure but you probably do not want to do it. Soundcards have little or
no power to drive real speakers and require external amps for that
function.

Kal

Dave Plowman (News)

james wrote:
Is it possible to connect normal speaker cables (the ones that require
the grip things) to a mini-jack style output on a soundcard? If so, how
do I do it?

Trouble with mini-jacks is they get used for different purposes. If it's a
headphone socket, you could drive small speakers designed for this - but
not to any real level. If it's a line out, it's designed only to feed an
external amplifier.

Sorry for my lack of technical language but I don't really have a clue.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

The better 'computer' speaker sets - that require plugging into the mains
- can be quite adequate, and really rather good value for money.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mick

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:26:37 +0000, james wrote:

Is it possible to connect normal speaker cables (the ones that require the
grip things) to a mini-jack style output on a soundcard? If so, how do I
do it?

Sorry for my lack of technical language but I don't really have a clue.

I wanted a mini-jack (technically a 3.5mm stereo jack plug) to phonos lead
recently. A local shop had earphones for £1 - so guess where the plug &
lead came from? ;-)

You could probably do something similar (just extend the old earphone
leads with some heavier cable to connect to the speakers), but check that
your sound card is intended to drive non-powered speakers directly first.
Even the ones that do generally make a poor job of it. You are much better
using a line output from the card feeding either an external amp or
powered speakers. You will get much better results.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:26:37 -0000, "james" wrote:

Is it possible to connect normal speaker cables (the ones that require the
grip things) to a mini-jack style output on a soundcard? If so, how do I do
it?

Sorry for my lack of technical language but I don't really have a clue.

You can get adaptors or adaptor cables to connect anything to
anything.

Whether this is advisable is questionable :-) *Is* the output
electrically suitable for speakers?