Mike Rivers

Default It's A Conspiracy!!!!

This week all of the public radio stations seem to be fund raising.
Usually they scatter their fund raisers over a 3-5 week period, but
for some reason all the planets seem to be aligned and there's no
place to escape.

Guess I'll have to break out some of my old LPs.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Richard Crowley

Mike Rivers wrote:
This week all of the public radio stations seem to be fund raising.
Usually they scatter their fund raisers over a 3-5 week period, but
for some reason all the planets seem to be aligned and there's no
place to escape.

You're fortunate your local stations still air anything worth
listening to. Nothing worth my support has aired from public
radio in my city in a decade. I was a volunteer on-air engineer
when I first moved here. Now I never even listen.
Trevor de Clercq

I donate to WNYC once a year at the fund raiser they usually have at the
beginning of the year. I find it frustrating that WNYC can't just have
a fund raiser once a year where everyone gives at that time, keeping the
rest of the year open for quality programming. But I realize that's a
pipe dream.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Mike Rivers wrote:
This week all of the public radio stations seem to be fund raising.
Usually they scatter their fund raisers over a 3-5 week period, but
for some reason all the planets seem to be aligned and there's no
place to escape.

Guess I'll have to break out some of my old LPs.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

You're fortunate your local stations still air anything worth
listening to. Nothing worth my support has aired from public
radio in my city in a decade.

Actually, they hardly do, but I do like to listen to Morning Edition
with my morning coffee and morning newsgroup reading. It saves me time
when reading the newspaper later in the day. We have two NPR stations
here that, ten years ago, carried some of the same news programs, but
also many hours per day of locally produced music programs, one
classical and the other folky/bluegrass.

Today they're practically indistinguishable during the week other than
perhaps the times that a given program airs, and other than a bit of
weekend programming, they're all talk. This is happing all over. I was
in the Boston area last week and read an article in the newspaper
there about the "convegence" of a couple of their public radio
stations, though fortunately up there they still have a couple of
college stations that have interesting programming. While they need
(and ask for) listener support, it's not the constant hammering seven
to ten minutes at a shot, four times an hour. It's much worse (in
terms of taking time away from the real program) as TV commercials
(which are now running 20-23 minutes in a one-hour show).

I used to be a regular (once a year, thank you) contributor to both of
our local NPR stations. When one pulled their daytime music
programming, I dropped my support. When the other pulled their daytime
music programming, I dropped my support. This year I sent my money to
a station all the way across the country becuase I can still count on
them for listenable background music just about any time.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

jtougas

On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:26:10 GMT, Ben Bradley
wrote:

On 19 May 2005 11:30:00 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

I used to be a regular (once a year, thank you) contributor to both of
our local NPR stations. When one pulled their daytime music
programming, I dropped my support. When the other pulled their daytime
music programming, I dropped my support. This year I sent my money to
a station all the way across the country becuase I can still count on
them for listenable background music just about any time.

Which one is that?

My local station,
http://www.wuga.org/ still does some local
programming, including two hosted classical shows, plus some local
music shows. And they're available on webcast.

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Michael R. Kesti

Richard Crowley wrote:

You're fortunate your local stations still air anything worth
listening to. Nothing worth my support has aired from public
radio in my city in a decade.

Mick Martin's Blues Party, Saturday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 on
Sacramento's KXJZ stations, is worth supporting!

I was a volunteer on-air engineer
when I first moved here. Now I never even listen.

That's sad.

| two, one and one make one."
Matt Ion

Mike Rivers wrote:
This week all of the public radio stations seem to be fund raising.
Usually they scatter their fund raisers over a 3-5 week period, but
for some reason all the planets seem to be aligned and there's no
place to escape.

Guess I'll have to break out some of my old LPs.

One station here in Vancouver that makes a point of NOT playing
requests, ran an all-day "tsunami" fundraiser where they would play
literally ANY requests, for a minimum donation.

One guy took advantage of it to get them to play a couple of his own
songs

I didn't hear them, but I'm told they were "just okay"...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-4, 05/20/2005
Tested on: 5/20/2005 7:39:08 AM

Kurt Albershardt

Michael R. Kesti wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:

You're fortunate your local stations still air anything worth
listening to. Nothing worth my support has aired from public
radio in my city in a decade.

Mick Martin's Blues Party, Saturday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 on
Sacramento's KXJZ stations, is worth supporting!

Yes! I have a friend from Ashland who tapes the whole show when he is down here visiting and takes it home with him.

S O'Neill

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
Michael R. Kesti wrote:

Mick Martin's Blues Party, Saturday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 on
Sacramento's KXJZ stations, is worth supporting!

Yes! I have a friend from Ashland who tapes the whole show when he is
down here visiting and takes it home with him.

But that station went from the #1 award-winning Jazz station in the
country to news all day. They immediately lost my $$$.