Fred

Default Moving Coil Transformer Question

Hello;

Several years ago I purchased a custom MC step-up transformer. The
unit supplies 26 dB of gain to my 40 ohm cartridge and sounds amazing.
Lately, I have been looking to try different cartridges.

I notice that many have 3 ohms impedance. Is it possible to use the
three ohm cartridge into my transformers? It seems like the cartridge
seeing a slighyly higher impedance would not matter. Do the lower
impedance cartridges require more gain than what I have available?

I appreciate any information regarding this since I do not want to
make an expensive purchase from, perhaps, out of my country to only
have the cartridge not work with my setup.

Trying it to see if it works may or may not be an option - depending
where I purchase from.

Thanks a lot for your advise.

Uptown Audio

You shouldn't have any trouble at all. I would avoid buying from
overseas if it is available more locally.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello;

Several years ago I purchased a custom MC step-up transformer. The
unit supplies 26 dB of gain to my 40 ohm cartridge and sounds

amazing.
Lately, I have been looking to try different cartridges.

I notice that many have 3 ohms impedance. Is it possible to use the
three ohm cartridge into my transformers? It seems like the

cartridge
seeing a slighyly higher impedance would not matter. Do the lower
impedance cartridges require more gain than what I have available?

I appreciate any information regarding this since I do not want to
make an expensive purchase from, perhaps, out of my country to only
have the cartridge not work with my setup.

Trying it to see if it works may or may not be an option - depending
where I purchase from.

Thanks a lot for your advise.

Isaac Wingfield

In article l21Nc.30404$eM2.8847@attbi_s51,
(Fred) wrote:

Hello;

Several years ago I purchased a custom MC step-up transformer. The
unit supplies 26 dB of gain to my 40 ohm cartridge and sounds amazing.
Lately, I have been looking to try different cartridges.

I notice that many have 3 ohms impedance. Is it possible to use the
three ohm cartridge into my transformers? It seems like the cartridge
seeing a slighyly higher impedance would not matter. Do the lower
impedance cartridges require more gain than what I have available?

I appreciate any information regarding this since I do not want to
make an expensive purchase from, perhaps, out of my country to only
have the cartridge not work with my setup.

Trying it to see if it works may or may not be an option - depending
where I purchase from.

A transformer "looks" a lot like a bandpass filter -- can't pass very
low frequencies, can't pass very high ones, passes ones in the middle.
Also like a bandpass filter, the source and load impedances "scale" the
bandpass corner frequencies. That is, the frequency response is only
correct if the impedances are correct.

Using it at "wrong" impedances by more than ten to one (3 to 40 ohms)
may significantly alter the frequency response. It'll probably be flat
in the middle, but the low and high cutoffs may not be what you expect.
If you can afford the loss of signal, you could try placing a 33 or 37
ohm resistor in series with your 3 ohm cartridge to see if you can hear
the difference in bass and treble response.

The old business about "600 ohms for audio signals" was more about
maintaining proper frequency response in all the coupling transformers
than anything else. Certainly it wasn't to match the transmission line
impedance.

Isaac
Paul Guy

(Fred) wrote:

[...]

If you take a 3 ohm cartridge, and run it into your 40 ohm
transformer (with secondary load), it should "see" 40 ohms. I am
assuming that the secondary has a proper load resistor. If your
cartridge is happy about that 40 ohms, then, as far as frequency
response goes, the low frequency response would be improved. (this is
by virtue of the hipass formed by the cartridge lower Thevenin
resistance, and the primary "magnetizing" inductance.) The high
frequencies would not be affected much, since the lopass filter formed
by secondary load and leakage inductance is the same in either case.
Your problem is not the transformer (in terms of frequence
response). The manufacturer of your cartridge should specify a range
of load resistances that the cartridge specs are guaranteed at. If 40
ohms is OK, then everything should be fine.
My guess is that moving coil transducers have such poor
magnetic/mechanical coupling (i.e., a very inefficient generator),
that they will tolerate a wide range of load values without much
effect. Cartridges that act as a more efficient generator, will be
affected by load values. The mechanical response could have various
degrees of damping depending on the load. Also, with higher impedance
cartridges, the internal inductance can cause frequency response
problems if the load is not correct.
So you might ask, why not always use a 40 ohm transformer? If the
impedance is 3 ohms, it implies a very low voltage from the cartridge.
You need as much step-up as possible, and that you will get with a
proper 3 ohm transformer. The 3 ohm transformer has about 3 times (+10
db) the voltage gain of the 40 ohm one (square root of 40/3). That
will give you a possible improvement over the noise floor.

-Paul
Paul Guy
Somewhere in the Nova Scotia fog