Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Alesis HD24 problem

Les Cargill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/27/2016 12:16 PM, Les Cargill wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:
The JoeCo box is kinda there, but it's spendy and the input
flexibility isn't nearly
as useful as the HD24.

I'm not convinced that a good laptop plus an 8 ch interface with
Lightpipe and 8 channels of Lightpipe A/D isn't better, simply because
it has a full display.

If you needed 24 channels, or even 9 channels, would that convince you?

It might, if you really need 24 for live audio capture.

24 is not very many channels. Often if there are multiple acts, they'll
split the console up so that the first act gets the first 24 channels and
the second act gets the next 24 channels, so that both can soundcheck before
the event and be set up. Digital stuff has reduced this a lot, but even
in the digital world it often continues so that each band can be preset into
their own snakes.

Then you get events where you have the console split into sections or you
have multiple consoles. I'll often work gigs where I am mixing an orchestra
feed while the guy to the left of me is mixing some jazz soloists and the
person to the right of me is mixing the narration and effects, all winding
up as part of the same 2-bus at the end.

The thing with both of these kinds of gigs is that there aren't a lot of
channels being used at the same time, but there are a lot of channels out
on the board. So if you have a guy in a truck handling the record feeds,
he can repatch everything at every set change so that he gets everything
active in that set to tape without any of the other stuff.

The whole point of these portable recorders, though, is to just run everything
to media and not need the guy in the truck repatching. So it's not unusual
for a larger festival stage to have three or four Joeco recorders racked up
together.

At 1U each, four of them still take less space than a DA-88....

Alesis HD24 JM Pro Audio 5 October 5th 05 02:56 PM
AD-16x smux into Alesis HD24 XR Problem kyle Pro Audio 3 March 19th 05 03:28 AM
FS: ALESIS EC-2 96k upgrade for HD24 James Reynolds Pro Audio 0 March 5th 04 09:02 PM
Alesis HD24 LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 10 October 16th 03 10:33 AM
alesis hd24 problem alfie Pro Audio 1 July 8th 03 12:25 PM