Posted to rec.audio.pro
nmm nmm is offline

Default CNN Ooops!! Kyra Phillips Mic left on.

I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7QhEeQF_o

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

nmm wrote:
I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7QhEeQF_o

How dissappointing.

I thought she was going to say something like "Oh god listen to that
****wit churning out those platitudes somebody wrote for him which he
doesn't even understand..."

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

"Geoff" wrote in message
nmm wrote:
I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7QhEeQF_o

How dissappointing.

I thought she was going to say something like "Oh god listen to that
****wit churning out those platitudes somebody wrote for him which he
doesn't even understand..."

geoff

Actually, I didn't hear her mention your name at all :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle Dr. Dolittle is offline

Hahaha.

I read about this but hadn't actually heard the feed, thank you. I think
brother's wife is going to be all kinds of fun at parties after this. (**)

(well, at least it is audio related)

nmm wrote:

I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7QhEeQF_o

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

so what's the deal with this..

they are reporting it like it was HER fault for leaving the mic on...

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver Doc Weaver is offline

Mark wrote:

I've seen a lot of mistakes, but how does this one stay on the air so
long, and how will Thanksgiving be at Kyra Phillips' home?

so what's the deal with this..

they are reporting it like it was HER fault for leaving the mic on...

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

Mark

Don't you mean the X-sound guy?

Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

Mark wrote:
they are reporting it like it was HER fault for leaving the mic on...

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

I heard reports CNN claimed it was "failure with the technical
equipment." When a channel is problematic a closed fader CAN pass
audio, but not without people hearing it I don't think - and that
includes the whole control room. Maybe the audio guy was busy
checking out something else out - you do only have 2 ears - but I would
*never* interrupt the main program feed for long to check something
out, and if that means you can't check it out well because of crappy
prefade monitoring too bad. And if there is a lot of yelling going on,
it can make it very hard to hear what's going out over air (as opposed
to in their coms panel prefades ), but the TD/AD/Director/Producer
should have noticed too, not just the audio guy. Probably everyone is
going to take the hit on this one.

The cautionary tale here folks, is in a studio or whenever you are
wearing a mic - _always assume_ people are listening. My default setup
is that talent can hear themselves in their IFB's when you open a
fader, so talent always knows when their mic is hot (unless they pull
their earpiece out.) The "tsk" of the tongue you hear anchors do
sometimes before they speak, that's an automatic check too see if their
mic is open yet, so when they jump their cue they know the fader is
open. g But iso records paths and prefade listens on the
communications system mean people can be listening in always. Still, a
ribald tale told offset over one's prefaded mic can be an effective way
of getting attention for talent seeking to be a source of endless
fascinating interest... G

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2006-09-01 said:
isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

I heard reports CNN claimed it was "failure with the technical
equipment." When a channel is problematic a closed fader CAN pass
audio, but not without people hearing it I don't think - and that
includes the whole control room. Maybe the audio guy was busy
checking out something else out - you do only have 2 ears - but I
would *never* interrupt the main program feed for long to check
something out, and if that means you can't check it out well
because of crappy prefade monitoring too bad. And if there is a lot
of yelling going on, it can make it very hard to hear what's going
out over air (as opposed to in their coms panel prefades ), but the
TD/AD/Director/Producer should have noticed too, not just the audio
guy. Probably everyone is going to take the hit on this one.

I'd agree. THere were enough folks should have been
listening to the program feed.
That brings me to the question about CNN. DOn't they have a
second audio guy that main man working program feed could
have assigned to a troubleshooting task if that's the
excuse?

The cautionary tale here folks, is in a studio or whenever you are
wearing a mic - _always assume_ people are listening. My default
setup is that talent can hear themselves in their IFB's when you
open a fader, so talent always knows when their mic is hot (unless
they pull their earpiece out.) The "tsk" of the tongue you hear
anchors do sometimes before they speak, that's an automatic check
too see if their mic is open yet, so when they jump their cue they
know the fader is open. g But iso records paths and prefade
listens on the communications system mean people can be listening
in always. Still, a ribald tale told offset over one's prefaded
mic can be an effective way of getting attention for talent seeking
to be a source of endless fascinating interest... G

YEs quite true, and I'm always reminding folks to pay
attention to what they say on mic.

A few years ago I was doing sr for a pentacostal church in
oRegon. Pastor grabbed the wrong radio mic and I was
bringing up the other radio mic channel for a line check,
while pastor was talking with a parishoner outside the
sanctuary. I quickly figured out what was happening and
dropped the fader and muted the channel before any real harm
was done however. NExt fun part was to get the pastor to
trade radio mics quickly before start of service, as another
presenter who needed stage monitoring was supposed to use
that wireless lav that evening.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel when it's not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

WillStG wrote:

The cautionary tale here folks, is in a studio or whenever you are
wearing a mic - _always assume_ people are listening.

..... otherwise the truth might get out !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

WillStG wrote:

But iso records paths and prefade listens on the
communications system mean people can be listening in always. Still, a
ribald tale told offset over one's prefaded mic can be an effective way
of getting attention for talent seeking to be a source of endless
fascinating interest... G

If I have a mic, wired in, or wireless, I would always assume somebody
*could* hear me.

Sounds like me sister talking about my wife. And she would probably be
right...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Geoff wrote:
WillStG wrote:

The cautionary tale here folks, is in a studio or whenever you are
wearing a mic - _always assume_ people are listening.

.... otherwise the truth might get out !

We begin bombing in... five minutes....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2006-09-02 said:
That brings me to the question about CNN. DOn't they have a
second audio guy that main man working program feed could
have assigned to a troubleshooting task if that's the
excuse?

"Second audio guy?!" HA! No. It's mandated by the company health
plan that the audio guy has to run back and forth between the
console and the patchbay, trying to patch around the problem while
jumping back to the console for each fader move. It means fader
moves are almost all late, but the operator gets some much needed
exercise! g

Yah, and that intern who wants to learn about audio gets to
do real educational stuff like go get coffee for the
director g.
tHis is why you should always assume if you're wearing a
wireless lav you're live.

Take for example my story about the preacher. ONe of the
church folks who usually helped out with audio grabbed the
wrong lav and helped the pastor get ready, made sure it was
switched on as he was supposed to. While I'm checking this
and that out I get to the point to bring that mic up, NO
PFL on this board if you can believe it. (See waht they get
for buying Carvin iirc) and there we go.
THe monitor mix position had the better console g.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Mark wrote:

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

How about Master Control? It's THEIR JOB to monitor the primary feed.
The MCO should have heard this and been on the McCurdy or the phone to
A1 immediately, and if he wasn't at the console, to the Director or
Producer.

I KNOW that when networks "take a feed" in breaking news, everybody
lets their guard down, but SOMEBODY has to be monitoring it. Hell,
there were Chyrons popping in and out on this. Couldn't the person
keying them hear the damn thing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PapaNate PapaNate is offline

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

How about Master Control? I

Exactly. Even worse this looks like some jerk has a problem and wanted
to screw Ms. Phillips over...unless some one wants to explain how a live
mic was being broadcasted over a direct line satellite feed?

I think if he/she ( the A1/MC-1) hasn't been fired he should be.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
animix animix is offline

..........had her rant been against Bush, the soundman would be a hero and no
one would give a **** that he ****ed up..

"Papanate" wrote in message

isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

How about Master Control? I

Exactly. Even worse this looks like some jerk has a problem and wanted
to screw Ms. Phillips over...unless some one wants to explain how a live
mic was being broadcasted over a direct line satellite feed?

I think if he/she ( the A1/MC-1) hasn't been fired he should be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

animix wrote:
.........had her rant been against Bush, the soundman would be a hero and no
one would give a **** that he ****ed up..

At this point ranting against Bush is redundent. Pretty much everybody
has joined the choir by now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
animix animix is offline

"Dr. Dolittle" wrote in message

animix wrote:
.........had her rant been against Bush, the soundman would be a hero

and no
one would give a **** that he ****ed up..

At this point ranting against Bush is redundent. Pretty much everybody
has joined the choir by now.

I can almost guarantee that if this had been a comment about *anyone* in
this administration, the soundman would have gotten a pass, but if the Kyra
had commented that the expression on Nancy Pelosi face at any given photo op
looked like the one on Bob Enzyte's wife, the soundman would have been fired
straight away.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2006-09-03 said:
isn't this the sound guy's fault BIG TIME !!!!..?

How about Master Control? I

Exactly. Even worse this looks like some jerk has a problem and
wanted to screw Ms. Phillips over...unless some one wants to
explain how a live mic was being broadcasted over a direct line
satellite feed?
I think if he/she ( the A1/MC-1) hasn't been fired he should be.

WOuld be on my watch, if it were me making decisions like
that. WE'd also have a talk with "talent" reminding them
that when you're wearing a mic you're wired. cOnsider that
anything you say can be herad by anybody so inclined to
listen, that includes the dude with the wideband scanning
radio just doing the hunt and pounce on interesting
frequencies nearby. cOnsider that if you're wired, you are
wired, don't say anything you wouldn't want the world to
hear.

Btw got the same chuckle out of Newtie (Mr. contract on
America" Gingrich and his overheard cell phone conversation.
TOo stupid to know that when you're talking on a radio the
world can hear.
Still the master control folks should have caught this one.

remember years ago listening to a St. Louis Cardinals game
on a local TV station back in Iowa. SOmebody was doing the
"mic check one two" bit in the actual air studio of the TV
station and they were feeding it live, along with Jack BUck
and MIke SHannon. I made a long distance call to tell them
what was going on with that one. tHe "check one two" was
louder than the satellite feed of the game audio.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Great audio is never heard by the average person, but bad
audio is heard by everyone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

These days, I'm not sure an actual person really IS listening
to what goes out on major networks (except the audience, that is).
On the various Clear Channel stations around here, it isn't uncommon
for something to get screwed up and two audio feeds to be happening
simultaneously, and for that to go on for 20 MINUTES. I suspect that
more and more of this stuff is just automated.

wrote:
: On 2006-09-03
said:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
.. .

remember years ago listening to a St. Louis Cardinals game
on a local TV station back in Iowa. SOmebody was doing the
"mic check one two" bit in the actual air studio of the TV
station and they were feeding it live, along with Jack BUck
and MIke SHannon. I made a long distance call to tell them
what was going on with that one. tHe "check one two" was
louder than the satellite feed of the game audio.

Couple of years ago during the world series somebody, somehow, patched the
control room intercom to national air. We heard the director calling shots
for about a minute.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Paul Stamler wrote:
wrote in message
. ..

remember years ago listening to a St. Louis Cardinals game
on a local TV station back in Iowa. SOmebody was doing the
"mic check one two" bit in the actual air studio of the TV
station and they were feeding it live, along with Jack BUck
and MIke SHannon. I made a long distance call to tell them
what was going on with that one. tHe "check one two" was
louder than the satellite feed of the game audio.

Couple of years ago during the world series somebody, somehow, patched the
control room intercom to national air. We heard the director calling shots
for about a minute.

I'd pay money to watch that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Couple of years ago during the world series somebody, somehow, patched

the
control room intercom to national air. We heard the director calling

shots
for about a minute.

I'd pay money to watch that.

Go see if you can find the 2004 Series someplace. I forget which game.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Here's the way it would be set up at my news network:

At the site of the speech, there would be a news bridge. On top of that
bridge, the photog from my network would be "shooting" the prez (or we
might be taking a pool feed from a DA). The pool audio would feed into
a little Shure mixer, as would any reporter mics (like Kyra's). The
outputs of the Shure and the camera would feed into a sat truck or
fiber link.

Back at the station, it comes in to a sat receiver. USUALLY, it is
routed through a production studio so that Chyrons can be inserted,
then routed to master. OCCASIONALLY, a live feed of predictable length
will be switched directly to master, but this is rare.

I presume the audio operator at the site kept Kyra's mic up at all
times, and she just switched it on and off as needed.

Who was asleep at the wheel?
1) Kyra
2) The audio operator at the site
3) The producer at the site
4) The director back at the studio, and the producer
5) The studio audio op
6) Master control

Having lived it, I can see it now: OK, the prez is speaking, we'll be
on this for a half hour. Let's order out for steak tips. Meet me in the
lunchroom...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

wrote:
Here's the way it would be set up at my news network:

At the site of the speech, there would be a news bridge. On top of that
bridge, the photog from my network would be "shooting" the prez (or we
might be taking a pool feed from a DA). The pool audio would feed into
a little Shure mixer, as would any reporter mics (like Kyra's). The
outputs of the Shure and the camera would feed into a sat truck or
fiber link.

Back at the station, it comes in to a sat receiver. USUALLY, it is
routed through a production studio so that Chyrons can be inserted,
then routed to master. OCCASIONALLY, a live feed of predictable length
will be switched directly to master, but this is rare.

I presume the audio operator at the site kept Kyra's mic up at all
times, and she just switched it on and off as needed.

So she was on location when her mic was left open? Well that
explains it! (all the YouTube links were down when I tried to view it.)

It's not atypical to get a juggling mess on these live shots when
a presser and the reporter on location's mic are coming down the same
line. They sometimes cover these things by hiring a local freelance
truck with one or two guys, one dealing with the transmitter and one
with the camera and nobody listening to the audio, which a basic mono
Shure mixer that they set for levels that the studio says is ok or that
the meters say is ok. And I have been directed on more than one
occasion check the talent's IFB down there on a remote when you're
taking the live press feed - just how are they suppposed to answer you
back down the same line that the press feed is on?

The control could have been freaking out the whole time, but didn't
have any production lines with the location and couldn't get the on
site producer on the phone very quick. What they should have done was
go to the pool feed, this kind of event always has a pool feed. You
can be a hero in your own mind if you are aware enough to suggest
somewhere to go when problems arise - just don't expect any recognition
for doing so. Never ever been credited on a review for such things,
probably because other people are are supposed to think of it before
the audio guy does.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away... Tom Waits