Mr.T

Default So ... what amp does Arny use?

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

Several times Arny has mentioned that he listens to NHT speakers. I
don't think he has ever revealed his choice of amp. My bet is that he
listens to two $10K Mcintosh monoblocs.

My bet is that he doesn't own the above amps, even if he has ever listened
to them.

MrT.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:50:58 +1000, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

Several times Arny has mentioned that he listens to NHT speakers. I
don't think he has ever revealed his choice of amp. My bet is that he
listens to two $10K Mcintosh monoblocs.

My bet is that he doesn't own the above amps, even if he has ever listened
to them.

IIRC, Arny uses QSC or Mackie 'pro-audio' amps. As ever, the little
hoarse is just trolling.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

Several times Arny has mentioned that he listens to NHT
speakers. I don't think he has ever revealed his choice
of amp. My bet is that he listens to two $10K Mcintosh
monoblocs.

My bet is that he doesn't own the above amps, even if he
has ever listened to them.

IIRC, Arny uses QSC or Mackie 'pro-audio' amps.

This has been mentioned in conjunction with the NHT 2.5is,
many many times.

As ever, the little hoarse is just trolling.

The little hoarse doesn't seem to know how to spell Google.

The Mackie's extra-noisy fan put it at odds with my
listening room, and then some bad ribbon cables consigned it
to the store room for sure. Several years later I had the
ribbon cables repaired and relocated the Mackie to driving
stage monitors at church. It's currently powering a pair of
EV ZX-5s which BTW are pretty credible high efficiency,
controlled directivity speakers for the listening room, if
you've got a good subwoofer.

I picked up a second USA 400 on eBay for the listening room.

Mark D

So Hoarse, If Arny did own-listen to a pair of $10K McIntosh Monoblocks,
is that supposedly a good thing, or a bad thing?

Don't know how you, or others would feel about owning the big Mac
Monoblocks, but I'd glady take a pair myself! (MC-1000, or MC-1201) For
years, I always lusted to own an MC-2600, rear mounted fan, and all.

The only downside I see with an Amp such as this (MC-2600), is that if
it broke down, you'd need to rent yourself a Fork Lift. Mark

Arny Krueger

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

In article
,
(Mark D) wrote:

So Hoarse, If Arny did own-listen to a pair of $10K
McIntosh Monoblocks, is that supposedly a good thing, or
a bad thing?

I assumed the reader would be familiar with Arny's
oft-repeated position on expensive amps, or at least be
able to surmise his position from the way the question
was phrased.

The irony is that QSC amps aren't particularly cheap in the
cosmic scheme of things. My first 125 wpc USA 400 bought new
cost me nearly $500. I doubt that it would ABX as sounding
different from my $80 100 wpc Pioneer receiver, with all but
the most difficult speaker loads. Last time I looked, the
most expensive QSC amp was $4,000 or so, but that might not
be correct today.

The first ABX I ever did compared a $450 200 wpc amp that
was getting a lot of good press at the time, to the
amplifier section of a $300 or so 75 wpc receiver. I owned
both pieces of equipment, so the money was already spent. I
still have the amp, I don't have the receiver.

BTW Hoarse really doesn't get it. I have no problems with
people who buy expensive amps. It's their money, their audio
systems, let them do what they want to do to enjoy their
lives.

I do have problems when people claim that some magic amp
sounds "mind-blowingly better", when it doesn't. Its not the
price, its the false claim about sound quality that I
target. It's just a coincidence that most of these
supposedly magic amps cost a lot of money.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
target. It's just a coincidence that most of these
supposedly magic amps cost a lot of money.

It's no coincidence, the cheaper amps don't need to justify their price. The
overpriced ones have to sell them somehow.
And of course those who buy them have to justify their purchase it seems.

And price is relative. For those who need 500W RMS pc for example, you not
going to get it for $100!

MrT.

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
target. It's just a coincidence that most of these
supposedly magic amps cost a lot of money.

It's no coincidence, the cheaper amps don't need to justify their price.
The
overpriced ones have to sell them somehow.
And of course those who buy them have to justify their purchase it seems.

And price is relative. For those who need 500W RMS pc for example, you not
going to get it for $100!

MrT.

No, it would cost you $358.00 plus shipping for 2 Behringer A500 reference
amps bridged to mono for 500 wpc @ 8 ohms.

You could of course pay more, if you wish for something more robust.

Mr.T

wrote in message
ink.net...
No, it would cost you $358.00 plus shipping for 2 Behringer A500 reference
amps bridged to mono for 500 wpc @ 8 ohms.
You could of course pay more, if you wish for something more robust.

My experience with Behringer EP1500 amps is that they are robust enough.
What is wrong with the A500?

MrT.

Arny Krueger

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...
No, it would cost you $358.00 plus shipping for 2
Behringer A500 reference amps bridged to mono for 500
wpc @ 8 ohms.
You could of course pay more, if you wish for something
more robust.

My experience with Behringer EP1500 amps is that they are
robust enough. What is wrong with the A500?

It has no fan(s).

Oh, you were saying what's *wrong*? ;-)

It's very new and its about $189.

It's the sort of amp that George and Bob and their clique
like to make a big show of how they hate it.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
No, it would cost you $358.00 plus shipping for 2
Behringer A500 reference amps bridged to mono for 500
wpc @ 8 ohms.
You could of course pay more, if you wish for something
more robust.

My experience with Behringer EP1500 amps is that they are
robust enough. What is wrong with the A500?

It has no fan(s).

Is that a pun?
I'm a big fan of most Behringer equipment as far as value for money goes.
:-)
(yes I know it is designed to use no cooling fan)

Oh, you were saying what's *wrong*? ;-)

It's very new and its about $189.

Still can't see what's wrong with that!

It's the sort of amp that George and Bob and their clique
like to make a big show of how they hate it.

Yes, often without ever having seen one, let alone used one.

MrT.

Arny Krueger

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
No, it would cost you $358.00 plus shipping for 2
Behringer A500 reference amps bridged to mono for 500
wpc @ 8 ohms.
You could of course pay more, if you wish for something
more robust.

My experience with Behringer EP1500 amps is that they
are robust enough. What is wrong with the A500?

It has no fan(s).

Is that a pun?

;-)

I'm a big fan of most Behringer equipment as far as value
for money goes. :-)

(yes I know it is designed to use no cooling fan)

Oh, you were saying what's *wrong*? ;-)

It's very new and its about $189.

Still can't see what's wrong with that!

Too cheap and no rep.

It's the sort of amp that George and Bob and their clique
like to make a big show of how they hate it.

Yes, often without ever having seen one, let alone used
one.

...or even understanding the basic concept of most power
amps. :-(

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Oh, you were saying what's *wrong*? ;-)
It's very new and its about $189.

Still can't see what's wrong with that!

Too cheap and no rep.

You can never have *too* cheap IMO :-) (cheap and crap are not always
synonimous, expensive and good even less so!)
And since it is cheap, you can afford to take a chance and test it for
yourself. Much better than relying on other people with unknown abilities to
do it for you!

MrT.