Codifus

Default Recovering not so well mastered retail CDs

Is there a way to get the audio files of those not well mastered CDs
into your DAW, tweak them with EQ etc, and get rid of the harshness in
their sound? For example, I re-discovered an old favorite CD,
SuperTramp's Brother Where You Bound. I used to listen to it allot on my
cassette made from the CD. Obviously, recording to cassette did allot to
qwell it's high end harshness. My cassette deck has long since been
retired and I'd like to listen to and enjoy the CD now. When listening,
there's that high-midrange sound, I guess you might describe it as some
digital filter used in the mastering process that produced allot of
audible ringing.

I've transferred the audio data to my DAW and I'm ready to fire up Cool
Edit to tweak the files. Any suggestions?

TIA

CD
B&D

When I play the music in AIFF or Apple Lossless on my iPOD through my home
setero - the basic good tonal balance, softened transients and rounded off
sound make just about any CD track, however awful, sound pretty nice.

Well recorded stuff sounds best in a more detailed setting, but Elvis
Costello's early works were recorded badly - sound decent this way, although
nearly unlistenable in any reasonably detailed player!

So - a non-detailed player is one possible solution! :-)

On 9/26/04 10:53 AM, in article , "Codifus"
wrote:

Is there a way to get the audio files of those not well mastered CDs
into your DAW, tweak them with EQ etc, and get rid of the harshness in
their sound? For example, I re-discovered an old favorite CD,
SuperTramp's Brother Where You Bound. I used to listen to it allot on my
cassette made from the CD. Obviously, recording to cassette did allot to
qwell it's high end harshness. My cassette deck has long since been
retired and I'd like to listen to and enjoy the CD now. When listening,
there's that high-midrange sound, I guess you might describe it as some
digital filter used in the mastering process that produced allot of
audible ringing.

I've transferred the audio data to my DAW and I'm ready to fire up Cool
Edit to tweak the files. Any suggestions?

TIA

CD

Ban

Codifus wrote:
Is there a way to get the audio files of those not well mastered CDs
into your DAW, tweak them with EQ etc, and get rid of the harshness in
their sound? For example, I re-discovered an old favorite CD,
SuperTramp's Brother Where You Bound. I used to listen to it allot on
my cassette made from the CD. Obviously, recording to cassette did
allot to qwell it's high end harshness. My cassette deck has long
since been retired and I'd like to listen to and enjoy the CD now.
When listening, there's that high-midrange sound, I guess you might
describe it as some digital filter used in the mastering process that
produced allot of audible ringing.

I've transferred the audio data to my DAW and I'm ready to fire up
Cool Edit to tweak the files. Any suggestions?

CD,
with CoolEdit or now Audition it should be possible to correct any tonal
unbalance. I like the FFT-filter for tasks you have described, I use it to
boost the treble when transferring old cassette tapes to CD.
I also use the scientific filters if a minimum phase filter is required for
simulation of crossovers.
The real-time preview function is a nice feature and helps setting the
parameters to get the best sound out of it.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Norbert Hahn

Codifus wrote:

I've transferred the audio data to my DAW and I'm ready to fire up Cool
Edit to tweak the files. Any suggestions?

You may have a look at HarBal before applying any EQ with some DAW.
Here is a review of that program:

http://www.eqmag.com/archive/0104/0104_Reviews9.htm

HTH
Norbert