Mark Zarella

Default Why are installers so arrogant?

Why are they so arrogant that they turn away your business if you don't
want to do things exactly as they say?

For the first time in my life I've decided to hire someone to put my
system into my new (to me) car. This seemed like a good idea at the
time, but it appears that everyone is either incompetent or refuses to
do the work.

"I want to keep the stock head unit."
"No, you can't do that."

"I want a three-way component set installed in the front."
"It won't fit."

"I want this 6" midbass and 2" dome mid installed in the rear."
"It won't fit."

"I want to biamp the components."
"You don't want to do that."

It seems they car stereo installations can't be done unless they're done
the generic way that they do them. All the "it can't be done" and "it
won't fit" nonsense is just that -- nonsense.

sigh Looks like I'll have to wait until the spring when I'll have a
chance to do it myself.

So my question is: where have all the good installers gone?

Paul Vina

Some installers just don't have the sack to try something new. I would
always ask why someone wanted to do something before blindly jumping in.
Sometimes I'd get "because someone said to do it this way" without taking
into account the vehicle, the music being played or the listening habits of
the driver. Sometimes what they wanted done was hard, but justifiable,
sometimes we made changes for the better. To blindly say no without even
talking to you first is just asinine. That sucks man.

Paul Vina

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:02:17 GMT, Mark Zarella
wrote:

[...]

I TOTALLY feel your pain. I wanna keep my stock head unit in my 03
cav. But no installer will do that. So annoying. ANY ****ing retard
with a 20 dollar set of tools can install stero equipment in exactly
the same spot the orignal stuff was in. BUT when you want something
more...example... speakers thatdont fit in a location... thats when
the installer should not turn you down. Thats when i beleive an
isntaller is to use his skills. Thats what i think an installers job
is. Not to unscrew my stock speakers....splice two wires...screw in
new speakers. He/she should be able to recreate my imagination...
make my car do what i want it to do... or else, i simply wont pay them

sanitarium

IMHO they all suck... dont waste your time just do it yourself. IMHO
what youre asking there is not too far out of line. A GOOD installer
would think "out of the box" to get those components to fit.... cutting
sheetmetal with a jigsaw/plasma cutter, grinding material with a dremel,
pounding out metal with a hammer, and re-sealing with fiberglass resin.

Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:
[...]

Tony Fernandes

I feel your pain, Mark. Look at it on the bright side...

At least you found out how incompotent they were BEFORE they did an install.
I'd rather have an idiot say "You can't do that" and refuse to do the work,
rather than have them say "Hey, no problem!" and then find out they screwed
it all up!!

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
[...]

Masterson

Mark....

You have not given enough info to us.
I will not just blindly call 'all' installers arrogant.

What year/make/model of car?
What equipment are you looking to have installed?
What were the things that you wanted to do custom?

I would like to know those things, as should anyone
else, before a judgement is made.

[...]

Mark Zarella

Masterson wrote:
Mark....

You have not given enough info to us.
I will not just blindly call 'all' installers arrogant.

What year/make/model of car?
What equipment are you looking to have installed?
What were the things that you wanted to do custom?

I would like to know those things, as should anyone
else, before a judgement is made.

I didn't mean to imply that "all" installers are idiots. Obviously
that's not the case because good installations still exist. It just
seems that there are fewer of them around these days than in the past.
And in my current locale of the Syracuse, NY area, there doesn't appear
to be any good ones.

Anyway, I know it can be done because I installed it all myself the very
same way with the very same equipment in my last car which was almost an
identical car. The only "custom" aspects of the installation are
fitting a 6 and a 4 in the stock door locations (which currently house a
stock 8), fitting a 6 and 2-1/2 in the stock rear doors (which currently
house a stock 6), and hooking up the appropriate LOCs (which I already
own) to the radio. It's hardly an exotic installation. The harder
custom video/computer stuff will be done by me at a later date, and
that's just because I don't trust anyone to do it right.

Tony Fernandes

"Masterson" wrote: "I would like to know those things, as should anyone
else, before a judgement is made."

I agree with you. When I first read the post I thought the original poster
was full of poop. But then I saw that Mark wrote it, and I feel he has
sufficient knowledge in this subject area. I guess I let his reputation
affect my judgement and I felt he didn't need to be that specific. I took
his word at face value.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Masterson

Default Why are some installers so arrogant?

Mark....

I agree with you that you didnt mean "all" and
that you lumped us all into one big generalization.

Thank you for saying that good installers exist.

I still would like my questions answered?

What year/make/model of car?
What equipment are you looking to have installed?
What were the things that you wanted to do custom?

Mark Zarella

Masterson wrote:
Mark....

I agree with you that you didnt mean "all" and
that you lumped us all into one big generalization.

Thank you for saying that good installers exist.

I still would like my questions answered?

What year/make/model of car?

'98 Cadillac STS

What equipment are you looking to have installed?

8-ch a/d/s/ P840 (40x8)
2-ch a/d/s/ P240(?) (40x2)
2-ch ESX Q1752

single JL 12w3 will be run off the ESX;
a/d/s/ 641is 3-way component set will be run off 4 channels of the P840
and 2ch of the P240 (4ch bridged for the midbass drivers; 2ch for the
midrange/tweeter) - front speakers;
Morel WR-6 woofer and MR-55 2" dome mid run off remaining 4ch of P840
bridged - rear speakers

What were the things that you wanted to do custom?

Install speakers in stock locations despite not being "pre-fit" for the
sizes.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:26:56 -0400, "Daniel Snooks"
wrote:

wrote
I TOTALLY feel your pain. I wanna keep my stock head unit in my 03
cav. But no installer will do that. So annoying. ANY ****ing retard
with a 20 dollar set of tools can install stero equipment in exactly
the same spot the orignal stuff was in. BUT when you want something
more...example... speakers thatdont fit in a location... thats when
the installer should not turn you down. Thats when i beleive an
isntaller is to use his skills. Thats what i think an installers job
is. Not to unscrew my stock speakers....splice two wires...screw in
new speakers. He/she should be able to recreate my imagination...
make my car do what i want it to do... or else, i simply wont pay them

Where are you at ? I will do the install for you ...

Canada..........Alberta............Edmonton good chance your from
the USA hehe

sanitarium

Let me re-phrase...

IMHO every installer I have tried to do business with over the past 15
years sucks... Maybe Im do picky or cheap, but heck.

Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:

[...]

wrote:

wrote
I TOTALLY feel your pain. I wanna keep my stock head unit in my 03
cav. But no installer will do that. So annoying. ANY ****ing retard
with a 20 dollar set of tools can install stero equipment in exactly
the same spot the orignal stuff was in. BUT when you want something
more...example... speakers thatdont fit in a location... thats when
the installer should not turn you down. Thats when i beleive an
isntaller is to use his skills. Thats what i think an installers job
is. Not to unscrew my stock speakers....splice two wires...screw in
new speakers. He/she should be able to recreate my imagination...
make my car do what i want it to do... or else, i simply wont pay them

Where are you at ? I will do the install for you ...

I live in canda...............alberta..................edmon ton....
your probbly inthe usa!
hehe

Masterson

Or both?

Maybe Im do picky or cheap, but heck.

sanitarium

hey wait.. youre not supposed to be arrogant :~)

haha
JK

Masterson wrote:
Or both?