Posted to rec.audio.car
Danny Danny is offline

Default Which 8" subwoofer for small hatchback car?

I have an '87 Porsche 944 and found a guy who makes a custom sub
enclosure for the rear that is completely hidden and stealth. The thing
is that it is only for an 8" sub that has max depth of 4.5" and a
magnet diameter of no larger than 5". Box volume is .23 ft^3.

Subs that I know fit are the 8w0 and 8w1 JL audio subwoofers, but most
8" subs even recomment more than .23ft^3. I also looked at the Polk
Audio MM2084 (http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2084/) but I
cannot find the magnet diameter.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "Danny" wrote:
I have an '87 Porsche 944 and found a guy who makes a custom sub
enclosure for the rear that is completely hidden and stealth. The thing
is that it is only for an 8" sub that has max depth of 4.5" and a
magnet diameter of no larger than 5". Box volume is .23 ft^3.

Subs that I know fit are the 8w0 and 8w1 JL audio subwoofers, but most
8" subs even recomment more than .23ft^3. I also looked at the Polk
Audio MM2084 (http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2084/) but I
cannot find the magnet diameter.

I'm not giving a speaker #, but, in my case I used two 4-6.5's. An efficient
woofer with a small box volume is not going to go very deep bass.
For the lowest bass use a closed box woofer, and this arrangement
requires more power, but its a compromise situation you have.
As you suggest, the dimemtionss of the driver are critical. That guy
know anything about making speakers, and not just boxes?

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Danny,

Several JL Audio Stealthboxes I have read about (and owned one of them)
utilize the 0 and 1 series of their sub line. I belive they are meant for
extremely small enclosures, and although they don't produce "huge" amounts
of SPL compared to let's say their 6-series subs, they do produce decent
amounts of bass and sound great in my opinion. I don't think you could go
wrong with them.

Dayton Loudspeakers seem to have gained more and more credibility over
recent years and most people I've heard talk about them very favorably. I
personally have never owned one. Although I'm no sub expert, it would seem
that a .2 cu ft enclosure with a 78Hz tuned frequency is way too high (as
per their specs). I would suspect that a larger box would probably sound
better. What do the 8" JL specs say?

I can't comment about the Polks.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
MTX TXS 840 8" subwoofer [email protected] Car Audio 1 May 3rd 06 05:13 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian General 15 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Main speakers with builtin subwoofer - How to configure receiver? Michael Harder Audio Opinions 0 October 28th 03 11:18 PM