Druhms

Default How do you guys deal with dumb callers?

I know this message will offend some people, but I just have to get some
insight on how studio owners deal with call after call from idiots?!?!?! So,
don't get mad at me for being impatient with ignorant people, I'm trying to
learn how to better deal with it.
Typical call (at least once a day):
Me: Hello, Boogie Tracks.
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: What are you wanting to do?
Them: I just need a demo, I have a friend that has a brother that rented a car
to a guy that carried the groceries for a guy that works security at Sony
Records, so I need to send him a demo.
Me: Ok, so, what do you need to do.
Them: I've got a couple songs I need to record, to send to... (see above
answer).
Me: Ok, so you are a singer? And you have written 2 songs?
Them: Yeah
Me: Is it just you and a guitar?
Them: No, I just got the words, I need the music.
Me: So, really, you have half a song?
Them: No, I've written 2 songs, I just need the music. Do you got the music
there?
Me: No, I don't have the music here. You need the other half of the song
written, or a chord chart, or even just tell me the chords and we'll hire a
guitar player or piano player, whatever you want to play it.
Them: Well, I got it in my head, I don't need anyone screwing up the song I
wrote.
Me: Ok, so what do you want to do?
Them: How much does it cost to make a demo?
etc............

So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass, but I'm really
starting to lose it.
Thanks for the help.
JJ
hank alrich

Druhms wrote:

So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass, but I'm really
starting to lose it.

Go to Harvey Gerst's Indian Trail Studios site and look over the way he
present info for musos. That might give some ideas.

There is a point beyond which there is just no way to communicate
successfully. "Hi, I want to build a bicycle, but I don't have a
ladder". Etc.

--
ha
William Sommerwerck

Don't you have a fixed rate for specific services? Would quoting those prices be
enough?

If he's not ready, or doesn't really know what he wants to do, it's not your
fault you can't provide an estimate.

Steven Sena

Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Druhms" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Dorsey

Steven Sena wrote:
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

Nick

"Steven Sena" wrote in message
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

LOL!

--Nick

Nick

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

Okay, well, you can't just stop there.

Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

--Nick

Scott Dorsey

Nick wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

Okay, well, you can't just stop there.

Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
paid on time....
Nick

Well, I hope you at least kept the recording for sale as a sound effect.
;-)

(Actually, it sounds like an interesting project to me.)

--
Nick D.
http://cultv.com

Nick wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

Okay, well, you can't just stop there.

Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
paid on time....

Blind Joni

I am doing a cheap demo for a local young hardcore band..5 songs..live
instruments, guitar and vocal overdubs. One 8 hour session, 1 3 hour guitar
overdub..and a scheduled mix session..all of which was thouroghly discussed in
the one hour consultation. Today..mix session..guitarist calls up..has the
flu..tells me he thought they were just gonna come and pick up the final
master. I told him..I did some editing but no mix..I thought the band wanted to
be present. He told me to finish it. I spent 3 hours total editing and
tweaking..plus a trip to my car. Called the guitarist to schedule a
pickup..he's in bed..I talk to his mother and tell her they can pick up cd's
tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father calls
me
...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming down
to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
Any ideas?
John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
R Krizman

Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
--scott
BRBR

For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

-R
Kringe

"Blind Joni" wrote in message

tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father
calls
me
..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming
down
to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
Any ideas?

Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

Mitchell Benson

R Krizman wrote:
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?

Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
--scott
BRBR

For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

-R

Hell, for 5 large I'll mike someone passing gas!

But they'll have to bring their own mic. And a can of Lysol....
Harvey Gerst

(Blind Joni) wrote:

[...]

You need to have something like this posted clearly on your website:
Standard hourly rate: Less than 8 hours - $40/hr
Day rate - 8 hours or mo - $35/hr
Commercial hourly: - $50/hr
Mastering: - $40/hr

Audio CD’s:
15 minute program or less - $5
Up to 60 minute - $10
Data backup CD’s - $15

Hard drive storage: - $20/gigabyte

POLICIES:

All bookings require a 50% non-refundable deposit. No product will be released
until balance is paid in full. Payment due at session end unless advance
arrangements have been made.

Then, you quietly explain to the father that the band had scheduled a mixing
session, which you did, and they owe you for that time.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

John L Rice

"Kringe" wrote in message

"Blind Joni" wrote in message

tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father
calls
me
..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his

kids
band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's

coming
down
to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
Any ideas?

Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

Excellent thought, I'll try to use that often. ( the part about the
restaurant is good too ;-)

John L Rice

John L Rice

Hi John,

That's a tough one. Are the band members minors, especially the guitarist?
I don't know what the law says about verbal contracts with minors but I
thought Kringe's comment was awesome about how restaurants don't have paper
or verbal contracts ( or even statements or disclaimers that ordering food
obligates you for the cost of goods and services etc ) but everyone over the
age of 5 or 6 pretty much knows that restaurants an stores just don't give
stuff to people without payment.

I'd say have at least one decent sized friend over to watch your back and a
phone ready at hand in case this 'angry dad' gets out of control and you
need to call the police 'etc' but otherwise don't overly respond to his
hostility, meaning don't back down just to get rid of him and don't get
overly upset trying to out scream him. Calmly explain what took place as
you did in your RAP post and that you explained to the band what your rates
are. ( and your Rate Card on your site spells out what you expect to be
paid )

Maybe at least very simple contracts would be a good idea in the future and
recording all of your conversations and calls with clients ( with their
permission of course ) might be a good idea too.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
[...]

hank alrich

It'd really **** up your lawn.

--
ha
EggHd

That is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
--scott

For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

-R

One time I recorded a Bulldozer! (well ok we claimed it was a bulldozer but it
was really a backhoe).

Worse than that was the song. "Dozerman and Didie Girl". A song about the man
who (really) drove a bulldozer and his little daughter. Ouch. I did it as a
favor for an old neighbor's good friend. The guy really thought he had written
something great. The worst part is I did it for free.

Picture these goofballs debating if they backhoe revved high enough in the
intro or the middle or can I make it sound like it's driving away (Hey let's re
record it driving away).... Yet this dude is singing "Dozerman and Didie
Girl"... WOW!

---------------------------------------
Kurt Riemann

Typical call (at least once a day):
Me: Hello, Boogie Tracks.
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: What are you wanting to do?
Them: I just need a demo, I have a friend that has a brother that rented a car
to a guy that carried the groceries for a guy that works security at Sony
Records, so I need to send him a demo.

Quote your highest hourly price right here. If they're smart enough to
try to negotiate then they will reveal whether or not they know
anything about the recording business at all. If they want to chat,
then tell them you can fit them in on Thursday for a consultation at
1/2 rate per hour. Stress how much money the consultation will save
them in the long run.

If they book it, great, if not, tell them you have to get back to a
Very Important Session, and they wouldn't want someone interrupting
their Very Important Session, now would they? Laugh, get their number
if you care, and hang up.

Otherwise it's a bit like asking a dealer in Las Vegas if you can play
some hands for free to watch how the game is played.

So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass,

Nah, you're upping your standards. Up theirs.

Kurt Riemann

Raymond

Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

I'm sure that when you go to a restarurant the person taking your order writes
it down on there little pad, that makes it writen and likely quite legal.
david

In article , EggHd
wrote:

That is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
--scott

One time I recorded a Bulldozer! (well ok we claimed it was a bulldozer but it
was really a backhoe).

We once did a multitrack avant-garde piece done exclusively with an
electric can opener. The guy spent hours doing it and even had to go to
a nearby store to buy a new one after burning out the motor of the one
he brought.

Amazingly, I do not still have a copy of it.

(Amazingly, the Red Sox won again! If you never hear from me again,
blame it on the upcoming Game 7.)

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
EricK

Raymond wrote:
Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

I'm sure that when you go to a restarurant the person taking your order writes
it down on there little pad, that makes it writen and likely quite legal.

An order scribbled on a notepad is certainly not a legal binding
agreement. The waiter does not have me sign it. Sometime I wish they
would have me sign it, that way I would be assured that my order is correct.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Ty Ford

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:04:09 -0400, Druhms wrote
(in article ):

I know this message will offend some people, but I just have to get some
insight on how studio owners deal with call after call from idiots?!?!?! So,

don't get mad at me for being impatient with ignorant people, I'm trying to
learn how to better deal with it.

JJ,

I just give 'em your number!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:07:18 -0400, Steven Sena wrote
(in article 9mfdd.211640$wV.119115@attbi_s54):

Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

That'll work!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

William Sommerwerck

Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant
but before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

Wrong analogy. The prices are printed on the menu.
William Sommerwerck

...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get
out of his kids' band... threatens to call the Attorney General
and then he says he's coming down to the studio. No contract...
just verbal.

No contract? Major mistake. Especially when dealing with (I assume) minors.

If the father stops by, don't get the least bit angry, regardless of how he
behaves. Clearly describe the work performed, explain your usual rates, etc,
etc.

hank alrich

EggHd wrote:

Worse than that was the song. "Dozerman and Didie Girl". A song about
the man who (really) drove a bulldozer and his little daughter. Ouch. I
did it as a favor for an old neighbor's good friend. The guy really
thought he had written something great. The worst part is I did it for
free.

You'd feel even worse about this if you had taken money.

--
ha

recording all of your conversations and calls with clients ( with their
permission of course )

I think there is not legal requirement to ask for permission, or inform, if
you are a direct party to the conversation.
Informing the caller/client for courtesy and scary purposes could be good.
Depends upon the other person, don't ya know.

dt king

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get
out of his kids' band... threatens to call the Attorney General
and then he says he's coming down to the studio. No contract...
just verbal.

No contract? Major mistake. Especially when dealing with (I assume)

minors.

If the father stops by, don't get the least bit angry, regardless of how

he
behaves. Clearly describe the work performed, explain your usual rates,

etc,
etc.

Minors can't sign a contract.

Just sayin'.

dtk

Karl Winkler

Mitchell Benson wrote in message news:aOjdd.75632$tU4.1290@okepread06...
R Krizman wrote:
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?

Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
--scott
BRBR

For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

-R

Hell, for 5 large I'll mike someone passing gas!

But they'll have to bring their own mic. And a can of Lysol....

I was at Howard Stern's studio a few years ago installing the KM150s
they use for guest mics, and I witnessed mics (SM58s, if I recall
correctly) being subjected to much worse than just passing gas. I cn
only hope that they have more potent disenfectant than Lysol at that
show...

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Scott Dorsey

Blind Joni wrote:
[...]

Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.
Jay Levitt

In article , JesseJ2
@LogicalArts-remove-to-reply.com says...
I think there is not legal requirement to ask for permission, or inform, if
you are a direct party to the conversation.

No.. this depends on the state. In some states, both parties need to be
aware of the recording; in some states, only one.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
EggHd

You'd feel even worse about this if you had taken money.

I'd feel better if I still had a copy.....

---------------------------------------
William Sommerwerck

Minors can't sign a contract.

Whether or not, that doesn't mean he couldn't have given them a document
spelling out what was to be done, the rates, etc.

normanstrong

"Druhms" wrote in message
[...]

In your case I'd recommend just telling him that he's a "dumb caller"
This will have the desired effect of causing him to hang up on you,
thus wasting no more of your time.

Norm Strong

Ricky W. Hunt

"Nick" wrote in message
et...
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

Okay, well, you can't just stop there.

Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

Nick must be new to recording....

(Jack) Douglas began hanging out with Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono. He
helped produce some of Ono's music, heavy on experimentation.

That's putting it kindly. The strangest moment involved a track called Dead
Rat. In the middle of the song, Ono left a 20-second gap. "I had a bad
feeling about that hole -- I kept thinking of it as the dead rat solo," he
says.

Sure enough, he recalls, when all the tracks were cut, Ono's assistant
showed up with a shoe box. Inside was a dead rat. Ono wanted it incorporated
in the recording. So Douglas had his assistant place it on a stool and set
up an expensive mike inches away.

"Yoko wanders in like nothing, and says, "I see you have the rat ready to
go -- let's get right to it,"' he says. "When the 20-second dead spot comes,
I push up the fader. I'm listening. There's no noise, and I stop tape, and
say to Yoko, "It's not quite right, is it?' And she says, "No, Jack, there's
something wrong.' "

Douglas had his assistant, stifling laughter, move the mike closer to the
rat. "We do it again. I push the fader up, this time with a little smile and
I say, "I think that's much better.' And she says, "That's a take.' "

Ricky W. Hunt

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.

Oh, man. I don't know. All he needs is this guy telling him what he's doing
wrong in the mix ("my son should be LOUDER"). Of course that would be an
excellent way to rope this guy in, as long as he agrees to pay while he
"supervises" the mixdown.....

Ricky W. Hunt

"EricK" wrote in message

An order scribbled on a notepad is certainly not a legal binding
agreement. The waiter does not have me sign it. Sometime I wish they would
have me sign it, that way I would be assured that my order is correct.

Ah...only in RAP do I get to enjoy such sublime discussions

Richard Kuschel

just got one

"Wecording Center"

"WhassUp?"