Richard Woodrow

Default Amplifier Options with List of what I have to work with

I have a 94 850 Turbo Volvo (I like it and plan on keping it). Good reliable
brisk transportation that I spent about 2 hours or so in each day.

I have the stock head unit (which I am told I should replace) which is a mid
level Alpine internally that does just fine for me. I also have the 8 stock
Dynaudio (swedish) speakers in the car
- Two 8 Ohm tweeters in the dash
- Two 8 Ohm Midrange (not coax) drivers in the front doors
- Two 8 Ohm true Coax (meaning the large driver has a hole in it for the
tweeter mount (Tweeter and Midrange)
- Two 6x9 (ish) Component Drivers in the back deck

All of these are powered by the Planet Audio Amplifier listed below

btw, the dash and front doors are wired together so the amp sees a 4 Ohm
Load. Same for the back doors and back deck speakers.

Over all the system sounds great as it is, but, about 2 months ago I had the
misfortune of someone pouring water (don't ask how) all over my 6 year old
Sony XM754HX Amplifier (75 Watts RMS per channel into 4 Ohms). Needless to
say ...it didn't work well after this rinse treatment.

I thought the system was great but now had the challenge of replacing the
amp.

I have since purchased a 4 channel by 50 Watt RMS into 4 Ohm Planet Audio
amplifier. Sounds pretty god but doesn't have the same power (voices most
are most noticably less impressive) as my old Sony. I don't really want (no
ofence intended) input into how "this amp" is better than "that amp" and how
"this one will blow away these others". I've done my research, tested many
amps all of the same or very similar specs (in my car) and varying within
($150 up and down of $400 Canadian (being the middle price and what I paid
for this Planet Audio). I am trying really hard not to add another $250 for
a more powerful Planet Audio amp .

I am now considering instead of purchasing a larger amp, at seeing what I
can do with my already owned equipment.

btw, i also have a 1 Cubic Foot Sealed Box with a 10" Pioneer Sub in the
trunk with more than enough boom/hit for my tastes. It's being powered by
the Alpine Crossover and Nak amp listed below. On this Sub I have the gains
way down to suit my preference. This Nak Amp really can overpower this sub
if I turn any gains (input sensitivity) even to mid point.

I have:
- One Planet Audio TT4200 (4x50W/RMS into 4Ohm) amplifier (in use)
- One Rockford fosgate 300S Punch amplifier (75Watt/RMS into 4 Ohm) (not
used now)
- One Nakamichi PA-400M (140 Watt/RMS Mono Block ) (no cross-over built in)
(in use)
- One Craig PowerPlay (35 Watt/RMS in 4 Ohm) - this one really isn't the
greatest..but it still works (not used now)
- One Two Way Alpine Crossover (used only for the Nak amp so far) (in use)
- One 6 Channel (configurable in gazillions of ways) Kenwood Crossover (it's
really works great but is the same size as the amplifiers and I don't really
have the space) (not used now)

I am thinking of using the Rockford 300s to power the front speakers and
using the Planet Audio to power the rear speakers (which really already have
to much power going to them) and the sub. This gives me more space in the
trunk (the 300S is smaller than my Nak amp and I can remove the Alpine
Crossover and both these amps have them build in and adjustable to my needs)

I am open to suggestions.

On another note...Is it just me or does it seem wrong that I can not replace
my 6 year old sony with a newer amp (of any brand) with the same specs for
less money! What happened to progress and market penetration. Some say my
old Sony was great (and that the new ones aren't). Some say Sony was never
great. Some say "buy this one... It'll blow that old Sony away". I don't
want that .. I just want reasonably costing and equally capable amp. Seems
tough to find...

Thanks for reading and any suggestions are welcome

Richard
Toronto, Canada