Chilsta

Default 2 Amps, 1 Sub and a pair of 3Ways.. should I use an active x-over?

Hi,

I have just won a pair of older Rockford amps off ebay, a 45.2 and
75.2.

I have a pair of 8" Alpine 3 way full range speakers in an MDF back
shelf, and am about to have a ported MDF box made for my Rockford 10"
(SPP-104) bass driver.

Thing is that I have an old Alpine active crossover (3655) that I've
had knocking around for years from an old install. It will run 2-3
amps.

Would people recommend that I use this to do my filtering, or am I
better off using some Y RCA splitters and using the built in filters
on the amps?

Also, I think I know the answer to this, but I might as well ask while
I'm here- I am better off bridging the 75.2 for the sub and using the
45.2 for the full range speakers.. . aren't I??

Thanks for your help

-C-
Sanitarium

for the crossover, Yes. IMHO you should use it.
for the amps, Try them both ways and listen/find out which sounds
better. Usually you can never have too much power for subs, so start
with the 75x2 bridged to that. A RF 75x2 should do over 250W bridged
mono.

Garrett

Chilsta wrote:

[...]

Chilsta

...Papewayo #026
teamROCS

Thanks for the info teamROCS- that's pretty much what I was thinking,
and it makes sense (which always helps). I'm just finalising the
dimensions of the sub box (with the help of the good people on
http://www.diysubwoofers.org)

To the poster who mentioned about being stable @2 Ohms, that's not an
issue as I'm only using one 4 Ohm driver, and the specs state that it
is stable (in fact I think it's best?) @ 4 Ohms.

As for the soundstage coming from the back, yes this is an issue. I do
have some tiny Pioneer speakers in the standard dash mounts, but am
looking to get some mids in the kick panels of the front footwells,
and some tweeters somewhere I've yet to deicde (maybe under the dash
speaker grilles to keep 'em hidden)...

Anyway, hopefully I'll be sorted in a few weeks' time. Looking forward
to it.

Cheers all, -C-