Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wbingham@gmail.com is offline

Default Iphone integration (same as ipod????)

I just got a 1995 Jeep that has a pretty decent sound system in it
(from what I understand - I don't actually know anything about audio
stuff). It's all Alpine equipment. Except the head unit had recently
been stolen, and had been replaced with some cheapy.

I would like to replace the head unit with one that will integrate
with my iPhone. By integrate I mean:

- I'd like it to use "direct connect" so that it charges the phone
(because I also have a Garmin GPS unit which monopolizes the charge
outlet).
- I'd like it to play the music on my iPhone through the car speakers.
- I don't really care whether or not I can control the iPhone with the
head unit, because there are no steering wheel controls to integrate
with. So it
makes no difference to me which device I have to press "next track"
on.
- I would like the music to fade on incoming calls, and restart once
the call disconnects.
- A bluetooth integration to manage calls would be a bonus, but not a
must, and I imagine this would need to be a separate piece of
equipment anyway.

I'm open to any suggestions people might have as to what has worked
for them - even if a little different than my list. I basically want
good sound quality without having to deal with handfuls of CDs or
wires.