Posted to rec.audio.tech
Thomas Langaas Thomas Langaas is offline

Default Denon AVR/AVC control protocol - DIY jack/rs-232c

Hi!

I've got a Denon AVR-2803 that I want to connect to my computer to be
able to easily set various things based on what I do (if I start to
watch a movie I want other presets/source selects than if I want to
listen to music).

I've found the specifications of this protocol he
http://oldusa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs...er361UpdCV.pdf

So, I tried to make myself a cable like so:

DB9-Female (RS-232C, computer-side):
5 1
,-----------.
\ o o o o o /
\ o o o o /
'-------'
9 6

1 - DCD
2 - TxD
3 - RxD
4 - DSR
5 - GND
6 - DTR
7 - CTS
8 - RTS
9 - Not connected

Stereojack (Denon AVR-2803-side):
Tip: RxD
Middle band: TxD
Base: GND

This is how I did the wireing:

Tip - pin2
Middle - pin3
Base - pin5

Then I connected the following signals together (on the computer-side):
DCD, DSR and DTR
RTS and CTS

No response when connecting this to a computer.

Does anyone know if there's possible to buy a cable for this somewhere?
Or, does anyone know if maybe Denon is trying to say that I shouldn't
reverse the RxD/TxD like I did? (I'm used to getting pinouts listed as
what they are on the "inside", and not what you expect from the "other
end").

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In advance, thanks!

--
Thomas
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Thomas Langaas" wrote ...
[...]

Likely wouldn't hurt to swap 2 & 3 (tip and ring)
on the chance that Denon did the "translation"
for you already.

The other matters are the serial specs: (buad rate,
number of data bits, number of stop bits, etc.),
and the communication protocols (the sequence
of characters, etc.)

Assuming you set the serial port for the stated
serial specs?
Are you using some software already written to
communicate with the device, or are you DIY?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
Likely wouldn't hurt to swap 2 & 3 (tip and ring)
on the chance that Denon did the "translation"
for you already.

Yeah, it seems like I might have to try it.

The other matters are the serial specs: (buad rate,
number of data bits, number of stop bits, etc.),
and the communication protocols (the sequence
of characters, etc.)
Assuming you set the serial port for the stated
serial specs?
Are you using some software already written to
communicate with the device, or are you DIY?

I'm just using terminalsoftware for now, going DIY when I'm sure it
works.

--
Thomas