Posted to rec.audio.car
rcjesse rcjesse is offline

Default How do I RE-CHARGE a cap ??? Do I need to ??

I recently removed my system from one car and in the process of installing
it in another one. I cannot remember if I even charged my 3 farad cap when I
first bought it, or just hooked the wires straight in to it, but it was
reading 11-13 V all the time when the system was running. Does this means it
was working properly?
Now that I removed it from constant power, would I need to charge it slowly
with a light?? How exactly do I do this? Or would it be ok just plugging it
in to the battery power? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

You can hook the postive and negative wires straight to the cap, no problem.
The reason most caps included resistors for this processs is because of the
large spark that usually occurs when contact with the battery and the cap is
first made (keep in mind, a cap can INSTANTANTLY swallow TONS of current and
this is what produces the large spark). But as long as you realize this and
take some precautions (like eye protection), there is no reason why you HAVE
to use any type of resistor to charge your cap (of course, the whole process
of charging does not even need to be done as the cap will obviously be
charged when hooked up to the system).

If you feel safer using a resistor, this group's FAQ at:
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

can give you the proper resistor values you will need.

MOSFET

"rcjesse" wrote in message
I recently removed my system from one car and in the process of installing
it in another one. I cannot remember if I even charged my 3 farad cap when

first bought it, or just hooked the wires straight in to it, but it was
reading 11-13 V all the time when the system was running. Does this means

it
was working properly?
Now that I removed it from constant power, would I need to charge it

slowly
with a light?? How exactly do I do this? Or would it be ok just plugging

it
in to the battery power? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

yeah, he is. and now that the great question answerer is here, I have a
question about this itchy rash...

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"KU40" wrote in message

yeah, he is. and now that the great question answerer is here, I have a
question about this itchy rash...

Two words: Gold Bond.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message

[...]

Of coruse, calculating such resistor values is really a lot of work for such a
simple and short-lived task... the easy way is just to put a regular automotive
light bulb in series with the cap and leave it there until the bulb goes out, as
suggested in the FAQ.