Ted

Default Help testing a Velleman K4000

I have inherited a Velleman K4000 stereo valve amp which I need to test
(before I put it on eBay). However, I have absolutely no clue as to what I
need.

I have some bookshelf speakers which have 8ohm, 50W RMS (max 100W) -
however, according to the spec of the amp it kicks out "2 x 200W music
power, 2 x 95W RMS in class A/B1 and 2 x 15W in class A". Will the amp blow
the speakers if I use them to test it?

Also, I don't know what to use on the input. Can I use the line outs from a
normal stereo?

There is also a electrical component (Dubilier i25-0 10R :5%) connected
accross the 8ohm outputs for the left speaker. Does anyone know what this is
for?

Finally, I also have a Delta Sigma D2A Converter, which has "Data In" and 2
outputs and some switches on the front "Error", "Reset", "256/348" and a
mode dial. I assume this is for a CD player. Is it worth putting on eBay?
Any idea what it's worth? I have been unable to find out any information
from the web.

Cheers,

Ted.

AC

Ted,
You need a signal source with a volume control to test the amp. Ideally you
would use the output from a pre-amp, but just to determine if the thing
works, using the headphone output from a personal stereo would be OK,
provided you have a suitable connector (3.5mm stereo jack at one end and 2
phono plugs at the other). The speakers will be absolutely fine provided you
keep the volume at normal listening levels. If you hear any distortion, back
off on the volume. Line out sockets from hifi amps are usually unattenuated
(ie full volume), so don't risk using them. Lose the component on the
speaker outlets...perhaps a dummy speaker load that someone used for taking
measurements?
I had a Velleman K4000 once. Nice sound, but prone to failures in the output
stage...cathode resistors going pop and glowing EL34 valves!

Good luck,

Andy