Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

"Some like it hot, and some just get caught up in the heat of the moment: A Japan resident who bid more than $4.6 million in an eBay auction, for a crypt directly above that of screen legend Marilyn Monroe's, backed out on the purchase after winning the auction.

The seller, Elsie Poncher, told the LA Times she auctioned off the
coveted spot at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery to raise funds
to put toward the $1.6 million mortgage on her Beverly Hills home.

After winning the auction with a $4,602,100 offer, the bidder said in
an e-mail to Poncher's rep, Steve Miller: "I am awfully sorry, but I
need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

Miller told the paper he contacted the 11 other bidders who were
willing to bid at least $4.5 million for the crypt, giving them an
additional 24 hours to resubmit an offer.

Poncher said that her husband Richard, who died in 1986, originally
purchased the crypt from Monroe's ex-husband, Yankee great Joe
DiMaggio. Poncher said that when she dies, she will be cremated and
her husbands remains will be placed in a crypt that was reserved for
her.

Other notable celebrities who are buried at that cemetery include Dean
Martin, Rodney Dangerfield, Merv Griffin, Mel Torme, Truman Capote and
Farrah Fawcett."

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...lls-46-million
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Bret L wrote:

[...]

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...marilyn-monroe
s-sells-46-million

I thought that I had seen her crypt at Forest Lawn. Was she moved to
Westwood at some point?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Bratzi's withered dream

Jenn said:

I thought that I had seen her crypt at Forest Lawn. Was she moved to
Westwood at some point?

Not her entire remains. Only the "good" parts.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...ghboring-maril...
s-sells-46-million

I thought that I had seen her crypt at Forest Lawn. Was she moved to
Westwood at some point?

Forest Lawn was the preferred burial spot for Hollywood royalty, but
the remains of MM were buried at Westwood Memorial Gardens on August
8th 1962, shortly after her death , and have never been disturbed.
It made WMG the new swank spot to be planted.

The statement has been made that Joe and Marilyn bought plots at WMG
in the early 50s at the time or their marriage or thereabouts, but
that appears to be bunk. WMG was a relatively new development,
particularly the aboveground "granite filing cabinet" crypts, and I
have heard several knowledgeable people (i.e., people who knew Joe
personally) say that the WMG crypt was a freebie , out of the kindness
of the corporate heart of Pierce Bros. If so it was a supremely
profitable act of kindness for the firm: it made WMG a premier
facility in one fell stroke. It would also have been a typical act for
Joe, a consummate moocher who felt the world owed him an enormous debt
for the privilege of his presence on it.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 25 aug., 15:37, Bret L wrote:
eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

After winning the auction with a $4,602,100 offer, the bidder said in
an e-mail to Poncher's rep, Steve Miller: "I am awfully sorry, but I
need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

Miller told the paper he contacted the 11 other bidders who were
willing to bid at least $4.5 million for the crypt, giving them an
additional 24 hours to resubmit an offer.

Let's take up a collection for Bratzi. If we can't raise all
the money, he can advertise on Craig's list to find a cryptmate to
share it with.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Bret L wrote:

[...]

I must have been wrong about seeing the crypt at FL. I've been there a
few times but not to WMG.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Aug 25, 10:36 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
On 25 aug., 15:37, Bret L wrote:

eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

After winning the auction with a $4,602,100 offer, the bidder said in
an e-mail to Poncher's rep, Steve Miller: "I am awfully sorry, but I
need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

Miller told the paper he contacted the 11 other bidders who were
willing to bid at least $4.5 million for the crypt, giving them an
additional 24 hours to resubmit an offer.

Let's take up a collection for Bratzi. If we can't raise all
the money, he can advertise on Craig's list to find a cryptmate to
share it with.

I find the whole concept disgusting on several levels.

The wife is a first class ****, the guy wanted what he wanted, _paid
for it_, and i don't understand why this is even allowed. I notice
not one thing has been heard from Pierce Bros., who still run the
place.

http://www.dignitymemorial.com/4798/...oadDefau lt=0

I have made no attempt to contact them but you may feel free to do
so.

Personally I prefer cremation or burial at sea. In my opinion the
corpse is a shell and should be disposed of in a way that puts the
remains beyond further manipulation or molestation. Cremation and
scattering or deep sea burial serve those ends.

The dead are quite dead and IMMO are not coming back nor are they
cognizant of anything. The deceased's family, friends and admirers
should be the consideration and these methods make the deceased free
from physical existence and so allow us to reflect on what is
important, the work and memories left behind.

Only one thing lives forever, the fame of a dead man's deeds.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

The statement has been made that Joe and Marilyn bought plots at WMG
in the early 50s at the time or their marriage or thereabouts, but
that appears to be bunk. WMG was a relatively new development,
particularly the aboveground "granite filing cabinet" crypts, and I
have heard several knowledgeable people (i.e., people who knew Joe
personally) say that the WMG crypt was a freebie , out of the kindness
of the corporate heart of Pierce Bros. If so it was a supremely
profitable act of kindness for the firm: it made WMG a premier
facility in one fell stroke. It would also have been a typical act for
Joe, a consummate moocher who felt the world owed him an enormous debt
for the privilege of his presence on it.

I must have been wrong about seeing the crypt at FL. I've been there a
few times but not to WMG.

Maybe there is a cenotaph there, but I doubt it. A cenotaph is a
marker where there is not a body. As an example, Jayne Mansfield is
buried in Pennsylvania but there is a marker in Hollywood Forever
Cemetery for her.

From Wikipedia:

"Following her death, the NHTSA began requiring an underride guard, a strong bar made of steel tubing, to be installed on all tractor-trailers. This bar is also known as a Mansfield bar.[48][49]

Mansfield's funeral was held on July 3, in Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania.
The ceremony was officiated by a Methodist minister, though Mansfield,
who long tried to convert to Catholicism, had become interested in
Judaism at the end of her life through her relationship with Sam Brody.
[50] She is interred in Fairview Cemetery, southeast of Pen Argyl. Her
gravestone reads "We Live to Love You More Each Day". A memorial
cenotaph, showing an incorrect birth year, was erected in the
Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Hollywood, California. The cenotaph was
placed by The Jayne Mansfield Fan Club and has the incorrect birth
year because Mansfield herself tended to provide incorrect information
about her age."

Mansfield's death was one of two famous underride crashes that
finally made the NHTSA mandate what are most often called "DOT bars".
((I have substantial experience around the trucking industry and have
never heard the phrase "Mansfield bar" used for them.)) The other,
though nonfatal was that of singer Jan Berry. Berry, a male, was half
of the surf-singing duo of Jan and Dean and although not killed was so
brain impacted he was essentially dysfunctional for the remainder of
his life. A pretty good movie was made of this starring Richard Hatch
of "Battlestar Galactica" fame.

Jean Harlow IS buried in Forest Lawn, but at the one in Glendale
rather than the one in Hollywood Hills.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

http://www.dignitymemorial.com/4798/...ome&LocNumbNLa....

*I have made no attempt to contact them but you may feel free to do
so.

*Personally I prefer cremation or burial at sea. In my opinion the
corpse is a shell and should be disposed of in a way that puts the
remains beyond further manipulation or molestation. Cremation and
scattering or deep sea burial serve those ends.

*The dead are quite dead and IMMO are not coming back nor are they
cognizant of anything. The deceased's family, friends and admirers
should be the consideration and these methods make the deceased free
from physical existence and so allow us to reflect on what is
important, the work and memories left behind.

*Only one thing lives forever, the fame of a dead man's deeds.

We will always remember you racist rants on RAO
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 25, 8:07*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:
Jenn said:

I thought that I had seen her crypt at Forest Lawn. *Was she moved to
Westwood at some point?

Not her entire remains. Only the "good" parts.

I'm wondering why Bratzi isn't trying to buy it. There's no law
against being buried face-down.