[CM] Headphones

Old April 25th 17, 05:58 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Walter Banks

Default [CM] Headphones -> Hearing aids

On 2017-04-21 11:12 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
> Trevor > writes:
>

> Anyone with hearing loss would do well to continue with annual
> hearing evaluations.
>
> My audiologist uses some Windows based software to access the
> hearing aids, I'd like a copy, and I don't buy any safety arguments.
> But I don't know how to analyze the results of a hearing test and
> convert that into hearing aid settings. I'm not upset that I don't
> have the software. It's probably just as well.

I got copies of the profiles that my audiologist created for my hearing
aids. I programmed them into the audio system that my laptop uses. It
meant that when I used Skype for telephone calls with minimal adjustment
I got very good audio compensation for my hearing loss. With headphones
to cut out outside noise this worked well.

One thing I was convinced of was my audiologist knew a lot more about
hearing compensation than I ever would. The hearing aids I have can deal
with frequency shifting as well as frequency gain profiles. In a real
world environment it is all about many levels of compromise.

My hearing aids have a half dozen environment profiles so that I can
select application code in them to cover the situation. Ears can be
handled separately or the hearing aids can auto correlate the sound from
the direction I am looking. Telephone app in the hearing aids will
create audio in both ears from sound picked up from the receiver against
one ear and profile gains to deal with the audio profile of the
telephone. There is wireless communication between the ears (that can
also have a third source)

w..

Old April 26th 17, 12:01 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

Default [CM] Headphones -> Hearing aids -> Windows Wenk

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:56:52 +0100, Adrian Caspersz > wrote:

>>> Most people already know how to use the internet to find this sort of
>>> thing. The rest probably aren't worried.

>> How helpful of you.
>>
>> Could it be that you yourself don't actually know how to
>> stop Windows 10 from phoning home? Yes, I know you can select
>> some things. I'm talking about no phoning home.
>>

> OK, even more off topic than my segue ...
>
> Put a block to these in a firewall device.
> Pretty easy for most Windows 10 users :-p

Many thanks. All I have to say is Jesus, that's a ton of
addresses. I'm sure it's all to improve the customer experience.
You paid these people money, but they still feel you owe them.

--
"If something is free, you're not the customer, you're the product." Bruce
Schneier, Data and Goliath, 2015
Old April 26th 17, 02:17 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:56:52 +0100, Adrian Caspersz > wrote:

> OK, even more off topic than my segue ...
>
> Put a block to these in a firewall device.
> Pretty easy for most Windows 10 users :-p

Yup, looks like needs more than a hosts file.

> a-msedge.net
> a.ads2.msads.net
> adnexus.net
> aidps.atdmt.com
> az361816.vo.msecnd.net
> az512334.vo.msecnd.net
> b.ads1.msn.com
> b.ads2.msads.net
> c.atdmt.com
> c.msn.com
> cdn.atdmt.com
> cds26.ams9.msecn.net
> db3aqu.atdmt.com
> ec.atdmt.com
> feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
> flex.msn.com
> g.msn.com
> h1.msn.com
> lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
> live.rads.msn.com
> m.adnxs.com
> msedge.net
> msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
> msntest.serving-sys.com
> preview.msn.com
> reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
> sO.2mdn.net
> schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
> secure.flashtalking.com
> settings-win.data.microsoft.com
> statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
> telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
> wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
>
> from http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

My buddy adds:

I have to add something here; Windows 10 does not honor a
hosts.txt entry for these, so simply adding them to the internal
hosts file will serve no purpose.

A fellow by the handle of Barnacules Nerdgasm on Youtube
discovered that "Edge", the Internet Explorer replacement,
bridges right past the host file. He tried to block Bing.com in
the hosts and Edge brought it up without pause. These entries
will have to go into a router, or some external firewall.

--
“Advice is a cheap commodity some seek it from me about crime — I know only one
thing for sure — If you want to make crime pay — ‘Go to Law School.’ ”
Old April 26th 17, 07:48 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 26/04/2017 12:33 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> So, what are these settings that you seem to be clued
>>> into. Obviously if you can stop Windows 10 from phoning home, we
>>> should all know how to do this.
>>>

>> Most people already know how to use the internet to find this sort of
>> thing. The rest probably aren't worried.

> How helpful of you.
>
> Could it be that you yourself don't actually know how to
> stop Windows 10 from phoning home? Yes, I know you can select
> some things. I'm talking about no phoning home.

Or could it be that you don't know how to use Google and need someone to
hold your hand for you? I have better things to do. If you think it
can't be done, fine by me.

Trevor.

Old April 26th 17, 07:57 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 26/04/2017 2:58 AM, Walter Banks wrote:
> On 2017-04-21 11:12 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
>> Trevor > writes:
>>

>> Anyone with hearing loss would do well to continue with annual
>> hearing evaluations.
>>
>> My audiologist uses some Windows based software to access the
>> hearing aids, I'd like a copy, and I don't buy any safety arguments.
>> But I don't know how to analyze the results of a hearing test and
>> convert that into hearing aid settings. I'm not upset that I don't
>> have the software. It's probably just as well.
>>

> I got copies of the profiles that my audiologist created for my hearing
> aids. I programmed them into the audio system that my laptop uses. It
> meant that when I used Skype for telephone calls with minimal adjustment
> I got very good audio compensation for my hearing loss. With headphones
> to cut out outside noise this worked well.
>
> One thing I was convinced of was my audiologist knew a lot more about
> hearing compensation than I ever would. The hearing aids I have can deal
> with frequency shifting as well as frequency gain profiles. In a real
> world environment it is all about many levels of compromise.
>
> My hearing aids have a half dozen environment profiles so that I can
> select application code in them to cover the situation. Ears can be
> handled separately or the hearing aids can auto correlate the sound from
> the direction I am looking. Telephone app in the hearing aids will
> create audio in both ears from sound picked up from the receiver against
> one ear and profile gains to deal with the audio profile of the
> telephone. There is wireless communication between the ears (that can
> also have a third source)

This is true, and why fine tuning BY the person with the hearing loss is
so critical. (The initial "first fit" is ALL taken care of by the
software anyway from your audiogram) The audiologist can't hear what you
are hearing though so it can take MUCH trial and error to get something
you are happy with if you can't do it yourself. Suits the Audiologists
of course. :-(

Trevor.

Old April 27th 17, 02:38 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:48:37 +1000, Trevor > wrote:

> Or could it be that you don't know how to use Google and need someone to
> hold your hand for you? I have better things to do. If you think it
> can't be done, fine by me.

Is this your way of saying "I know the answer but would
rather tell you I'm not going to tell you than spend the same
time telling you".

Or maybe, you in fact don't know how to do it, but would
rather not admit it.

--
"Sir Robert Walpole said, he always talked bawdy at his table,
because in that all could join." - Samuel Johnson
Old April 28th 17, 04:10 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 27/04/2017 11:38 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:48:37 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
>> Or could it be that you don't know how to use Google and need someone to
>> hold your hand for you? I have better things to do. If you think it
>> can't be done, fine by me.

> Is this your way of saying "I know the answer but would
> rather tell you I'm not going to tell you than spend the same
> time telling you".

Is this your way of saying you still don't know how to use Google, or
your way of saying I'd rather spend time complaining than do it?

Trevor.

Headphones? Ger High End Audio 4 June 11th 08 12:10 AM
USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
[eBay] FS: Headphones AKAI ASE 22, nice headphones vintage ... very low starting price ... 2 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meadow_61 Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 09:00 PM
Seeking Recommendations for Open Headphones and Closed Headphones Mike Audio Opinions 1 September 1st 06 01:51 AM
What are these headphones? [email protected] General 0 June 22nd 06 01:31 AM