Default Improving 2-channel recommendations

Hi,

I have the Paradigm Studio 100s with Denon 3300. The purpose of an
upgrade is to get better 2-channel audio. I want to add a Rotel RB-1080
200watt amp and a new CD player to improve the quality of the 2-channel
CD listening sound. While the Denon sounds ok, I think its not getting
the full potential out of my speakers, as in the showroom when I bought
them. The sound is a bit thin and the bass is lethargic.

With this setup, I can hook up the Rotel amp to the Denon pre/out and
use the Denon 3300 direct mode which has analogue bypass. Thus, the CD
player will go to the Denon which will in turn go to the amp.

But if I was to add a comprable Rotel pre/amp to the combo, how much
better would the sound be for 2-channel listening?

I am buying used, so I don't have the option of going to the dealer and
borrow. Any recommendations are appreciated.

kind regards,
George

Jack Dotson

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

A good amp definitely will help, but I'd take a hard look at what Outlaw has
to offer. But, of equal if not more importance, is the pre-amp and the CDP.
You didn't mention the CDP you have in mind.

The CD player I have in mind would probably be Rotel RCD-971/2, maybe
RCD-991 if I can find a good price for it used. For the outlaw, you are
suggestion to eventually scrap the reciever and get the
processor/pre-amp?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I have the Paradigm Studio 100s with Denon 3300. The
purpose of an upgrade is to get better 2-channel audio.

So where are your plans to add a subwoofer?

I want to add a Rotel RB-1080 200watt amp and a new CD
player to improve the quality of the 2-channel CD
listening sound. While the Denon sounds ok, I think its
not getting the full potential out of my speakers, as in
the showroom when I bought them. The sound is a bit thin
and the bass is lethargic.

If want better bass, why not add a subwoofer?

I have a subwoofer which I only use in 5.1. The Studio 100s are big
enough a speaker to derive good bass without the addition of the
subwoofer.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a subwoofer which I only use in 5.1. The Studio 100s are big
enough a speaker to derive good bass without the addition of the
subwoofer.

That may be so, but running the subwoofer full time, can improve the overall
sound, particularly in the midbass as well as ambience.

Low frequency sound is where a lot of the cues are for how big something
sounds.

I still think it will also help to have extra power to drive your main
speakers, but adding in the sub full time can only help.

MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I have the Paradigm Studio 100s with Denon 3300. The
purpose of an upgrade is to get better 2-channel audio.

So where are your plans to add a subwoofer?

I want to add a Rotel RB-1080 200watt amp and a new CD
player to improve the quality of the 2-channel CD
listening sound. While the Denon sounds ok, I think its
not getting the full potential out of my speakers, as in
the showroom when I bought them. The sound is a bit thin
and the bass is lethargic.

If want better bass, why not add a subwoofer?

The 100s are spec'ed to 28 Hz. Should have better bass.

Stephen
Margaret von B.

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

So where are your plans to add a subwoofer?

If want better bass, why not add a subwoofer?

You're stuck in the groove, again, Arny. All we need now is your personal
Fleshlight, Mikey, to repeat the above a few times to reaffirm his loyalty
to The Great Sausage.

Cheers,

Margaret

Margaret von B.

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.tactlabs.com/Products/RCS20/index.html

For most people the biggest bang for the buck with the least hassle and
maximum livability. Make sure you learn to use it properly and then it is
set and forget. Done that. Competing products may exists with similar
performance.

wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps, but at 3-4K probably out of the price range of the OP.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

I have a subwoofer which I only use in 5.1.

I suppose you never tried it in stereo.

The Studio 100s are big enough a speaker to derive good
bass without
the addition of the subwoofer.

It would take more than a trivial subwoofer to improve it.
Fortunately there are a number of very nontrivial
subwoofers.

Even Paradigm admits that the 7" woofers are good down to
only 28 Hz. From what I've heard of this series, that's like
5-10 Hz optimistic.

Until you've had speakers that are flat down to 15-20 Hz or
less, you don't know what you are missing.

dizzy

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:50:38 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

The Studio 100s are big enough a speaker to derive good
bass without
the addition of the subwoofer.

It would take more than a trivial subwoofer to improve it.
Fortunately there are a number of very nontrivial
subwoofers.

Even Paradigm admits that the 7" woofers are good down to
only 28 Hz. From what I've heard of this series, that's like
5-10 Hz optimistic.

"Only" 28Hz? How much musical information is there down there,
anyway? Almost none.

dizzy

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:53:59 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

If want better bass, why not add a subwoofer?

Because then, to do it right, you need a good (read, has line-level
high-pass outputs, and preferably a 24dB/octive slope) crossover, and
then you need another amp. Then you get into the sticky mess of how
to integrate the 2-channel setup with the surround-sound setup, i.e.
what signal is actually going to the subwoofer's amplifier - the LFE
signal ro the signal from the crossover.

It's a big can of worms.

Clyde Slick

"dizzy" wrote in message
..

It's a big can of worms.

Which Arny will easily turn into a toilet of ****.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

The Studio 100s are big enough a speaker to derive good
bass without
the addition of the subwoofer.

It would take more than a trivial subwoofer to improve
it. Fortunately there are a number of very nontrivial
subwoofers.

Even Paradigm admits that the 7" woofers are good down to
only 28 Hz. From what I've heard of this series, that's
like 5-10 Hz optimistic.

"Only" 28Hz?

You ignored the fact that IME the 28 Hz spec is up to 10 Hz
optimistic. IOW I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised
that Studio 100s might only respond cleanly and strongly
down to 38 Hz by my standards.

How much musical information is there down there, anyway?

IME there is quite a bit of musical information in many
recordings down to 32 Hz, and there are additional
non-musical sounds that contribute to the sense of liveness
below that. Furtheremore, there are exceptional recordings
with musical sounds down to 16 Hz and below.

Almost none.

It wasn't a rhetorical question, and your answer is rather
err, limited.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

The Denon 3300 has a subwoofer output. If it serves as a pre/processor,
then it the pre/out will connect to the amp and with the Direct mode it
will bypass the analogue circuitry and only be used as a volume switch
in both 2-channel and 5-channel mode. If a 2-channel pre/amp is added,
then it gets really complicated.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

wrote:

The Studio 100s are big enough a speaker to derive good
bass without
the addition of the subwoofer.

It would take more than a trivial subwoofer to improve
it. Fortunately there are a number of very nontrivial
subwoofers.

Even Paradigm admits that the 7" woofers are good down to
only 28 Hz. From what I've heard of this series, that's
like 5-10 Hz optimistic.

"Only" 28Hz?

You ignored the fact that IME the 28 Hz spec is up to 10 Hz
optimistic. IOW I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised
that Studio 100s might only respond cleanly and strongly
down to 38 Hz by my standards.

Still not too shabby, although I can see where some would want better,
depending on the type of music they listen to.

How much musical information is there down there, anyway?

IME there is quite a bit of musical information in many
recordings down to 32 Hz, and there are additional
non-musical sounds that contribute to the sense of liveness
below that. Furtheremore, there are exceptional recordings
with musical sounds down to 16 Hz and below.

Hmm...

Almost none.

It wasn't a rhetorical question, and your answer is rather
err, limited.

I'll acknowledge a bias here, due to the music that I listen to.