Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 2:06:28 PM UTC-5, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

I'd say no. More expensive can mean higher maximum output levels rather than greater neutrality, and that's a legitimate goal in certain applications.

Peace,
Paul Stamler
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

No, but studio monitors are ALSO designed to be loud without distortion,
and they are designed to be difficult to damage when someone repatches
something incorrectly.

Some more expensive monitors are designed to run loud at the expense of
performance at lower levels. If people work that way, they are a good
choice, if they don't, they aren't.

Some more expensive monitors are designed with very tight dispersion to
get an "up-front" sound in a small control room and to deal better with
poorly treated control rooms. This invariably comes with sonic artifacts,
but in some rooms they can be a huge win. On the other hand, in a better
control room, they are a poor choice.

It's too wide a generalization, but you CAN generalize within some product
lines. For example, the Genelec 8000 series monitors are all pretty much
voiced similarly. You go up in the line and you spend more money and you
get the same basic characteristics but better sound.

On the other hand, the older Genelec 1000-series monitors all sounded
totally different and had very different dispersion and tonal character.
You could spend more money and get a monitor that was worse for your
application.

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

Definitely not, but I don't want to be pleased by bad sound. If something
sounds wrong, I want to notice it as soon as possible, before the customer
does.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 21/09/2018 7:22 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

Definitely not, but I don't want to be pleased by bad sound. If something
sounds wrong, I want to notice it as soon as possible, before the customer
does.

Yep, and once you go down that track, what sounds more 'flattering" on
some music will sound less so on others anyway. Far better to have as
much neutrality as possible within the constraints of whatever
parameters are deemed necessary for your own situation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 1:06:28 PM UTC-6, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

Price is not the determining factor.
How the speaker sounds is what matters.
I have a pair of JBL L300 Summits They are absolutely lovely speakers and I really like them on my home system.
I tried to use them for studio monitors and they didn't work at all. It didn't matter what garbage I played on them, it always seemed to sound good.
I currently use a set of JBL 4430's which are really a decent studio monitor though I find that they lack really low bass.
What I like about the 4430 is that I can determine immediately how the vocals sit in the mix. I seem to hear the music in layers from front to back and those speakers really define that.
The other speakers that I used that sounded very similar to the 4430's were a set of Fostex 8" coaxials that had very much the same characteristics. Unfortunately I had to retire them to my living room system when the tweeter assemblies became unavailable.
There was a tremendous difference in price between the two sets but both were what i would consider neutral rather than flattering.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Kuschel wrote:
The other speakers that I used that sounded very similar to the 4430's were=
a set of Fostex 8" coaxials that had very much the same characteristics. U=
nfortunately I had to retire them to my living room system when the tweeter=
assemblies became unavailable.=20

If they are RM780s or use the same drivers, then there is a pull available on
ebay right now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

This is why you need larger monitors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bno-qsnbUA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

There is no telling. I don't get out much, so season accordingly. But
the only thing I ever heard tha impressed me as disappearing behind the
sound they made were the original Blue Sky 2.1 setups.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive a
monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion, is
that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more pleasing,
as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

I'd say no. More expensive can mean higher maximum output levels
rather than greater neutrality, and that's a legitimate goal in
certain applications.

Peace, Paul Stamler

I'd take Eminence as the present-day archetypical driver company,
and from what I have seen, the higher power they are, the less sensitive
they are. Seems like an adaptation to Class D power.

I don't know what more expensive means in terms of monitors.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 9/20/2018 3:06 PM, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

The purpose of studio monitors has historically been to make problems in
the recording process audible, so they didn't have flat frequency
frequency interference between drivers. And, no, I wouldn't call most of
them pleasant for casual listening.

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 9/20/2018 12:06 PM, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

The responses on this thread have me wondering, although
I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death here, but:

How many people here use reference monitors for casual
listening, for their everyday listening use?

I'm thinking of using my Event TR5s for my bedroom laptop....

E. Power Biggs Bach sounds great on them!

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/12/2018 5:09 AM, Paul wrote:
How many people here use reference monitors for casual
listening, for their everyday listening use?

These days, fewer and fewer people are using loudspeakers for casual,
everyday listening. Some people, however, use "reference monitor" in-ear
phones.

Ā*Ā*Ā* I'm thinking of using my Event TR5s for my bedroom laptop....
Ā*Ā*Ā* E. Power Biggs Bach sounds great on them!

Nothing will blow up. If you have them, and if you like how music sounds
with them, there's no reason not to use them. And anyway, in what way,
other than marketing, are those "reference monitors?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "If you have them, and if you like how music sounds
with them, there's no reason not to use them. And anyway, in what way,
other than marketing, are those "reference monitors?"

So the very concept of reference monitors(speakers or phones),
is a myth? It's whatever something sounds best on?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote: "
"Reference" monitors, are supposed to have a frequency
response that is more "flat", or neutral, than your average consumer
grade speakers, which will usually have peaks in the high or lows. "

But 'flat' often sounds wrong to the human ear. Where as 'peaks n
valleys' can sound more musical, more appealing, to certain
individuals.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 2:17:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Paul wrote: "
"Reference" monitors, are supposed to have a frequency
response that is more "flat", or neutral, than your average consumer
grade speakers, which will usually have peaks in the high or lows. "

But 'flat' often sounds wrong to the human ear. Where as 'peaks n
valleys' can sound more musical, more appealing, to certain
individuals.

Okay, but who said reference monitors are supposed to sound more musical / appealing than hi-fi speakers? Reference monitors are designed to be more revealing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "
No. A "reference monitor" is one that doesn't hide any flaws in a mix,
as some good sounding speakers do (which is why those speakers sound
good). The concept behind a "reference" speaker is that you can hear
what's wrong and then fix it so that it will sound good on any speaker.
They're not intended for casual listening, but rather, for critical
listening when you want to hear things in the mix that might not sound
right on some other speaker. "

Then I'd rather have reference grade as part of my personal
listening system.

Would you say that if something advertises itself as 'reference'
then it's not? Just advertising, as was said earlier in this thread.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Paul wrote: "
"Reference" monitors, are supposed to have a frequency
response that is more "flat", or neutral, than your average consumer
grade speakers, which will usually have peaks in the high or lows. "

But 'flat' often sounds wrong to the human ear. Where as 'peaks n
valleys' can sound more musical, more appealing, to certain
individuals.

Reference monitors aren't for sounding good, they are for understanding
what is going on with the mix. They may sound good, but they may also
make problems obvious which wouldn't be noticed on more colored speakers.

The big soffit-mounted monitors are intended to be loud and sound musical
and appealing. They are not for mixing, they are for playing back to the
customer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "As I recall, you're more interested in the mechanics of a mix than the
musicality, meaning, or emotion of a song itself. That being the case,
indeed, listening on an accurate reference monitor might give you more
enjoyment than listening on a speaker that flatters the musical
qualities of a recording. "

I want to hear the song itself Mike - not anything
added to or subtracted from it - by the speakers
or equipment themselves. I guess one could call
that 'transparency'. The same thing I do for TVs
in my sideline calibration trade.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/10/2018 12:11 PM, wrote:
The same thing I do for TVs
in my sideline calibration trade.

What - set them all to the preset "Vivid" ? ;- )

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff blurted out: "
What - set them all to the preset "Vivid" ? ;- )

geoff "

Don't talk about **** you have no clue about geoff!

ave Maria....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Li'l Theckmie gerbilled in message
So the very concept of reference monitors(speakers or phones), is a myth?

That's bull****.

It's whatever something sounds best on?

That's bull****, too. FCKISFOBS.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckhhhh-maaaah blurted in message

geoff blurted out: "

Theckma uses the verb "to blurt". Hmmm ...

Don't talk about **** you have no clue about geoff!

That's all you do online, li'l buddy. Talking about **** without a clue is
your entire life's work. It's your ****ing religion.

ave Maria....

Q. E. Dumb****

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/10/2018 12:00 AM, wrote:
geoff blurted out: "
What - set them all to the preset "Vivid" ? ;- )

geoff "

Don't talk about **** you have no clue about geoff!

ave Maria....

Pot, kettle.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "Says the guy who spends a heck of a lot of time typing here about stuff
he knows nothing about...

--
Tciao for Now!

John. "

Both you and geoff are pretty presumptious to
ASSume what I "know nothing" about. Neither
one of you knows a damn THING about what I
know.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Dumb **** Theckma, the village retard, puke up in message

Both you and geoff are pretty presumptious to
ASSume what I "know nothing" about. Neither
one of you knows a damn THING about what I
know.

You've made a huge public display of what you know nothing about, ****-head.
Everyone that's seen your feeble fecal posts knows what a ****ing idiot you
are.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "
Everybody here is fully aware of your level of understanding wrt audio
topics, as you have amply and repeatedly demonstrated.

One can't help but presume that this would likely be a similar situation
wrt TV calibration.

Did you understand the connotation of 'Vivid' and it's equivalent in
audio processing , and the significance of the following smiley ?
Presumably not ...

geoff "

I don't need to demonstrate my knowledge of video calibration -
or of audio - to any member of this good ol' boys club also known
as 'rec.audio.pro'.

If you are suggesting in your latter paragraph sarcasm, it was not
taken that way, and was thus a flop - like a pancake - from the pan
right onto the kitchen floor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Crybaby theckmah whined in message
don't need to demonstrate my knowledge of video calibration -
or of audio -

As you have conclusively proven, over and over and over again, you have no
knowledge of video or audio.

Whaah! Whaaa-aaa-aaaaah!

Crybaby dumb ****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee sTeeVee is offline

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 3:06:28 PM UTC-4, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

You bring up a great point, and there is an implied [but unspoken] point as well, which is the entire acoustical environment, what works best with *your* ears, what translates best, what prevents listener fatigue over a protracted mixing session, and what acoustical treatment you have given to your listening space and how precise is it? I'm afraid this is an eternal discussion. Just make sure that when you send the finished master file over to the [fill in the blank: major label; independent label; streaming service; download service, etc etc] that what the listener hears is exactly what you meant. Cheers!

SG
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 10/14/2018 4:10 PM, sTeeVee wrote:
[...]

Every variable that you mentioned regarding the acoustical environment,
plus a few that weren't mentioned such as air pressure and humidity,
also applies to the listener's environment (and audio system) and
guarantees that one has no idea whether what the listener hears is what
one intended.

--
best regards,

Neil