Jess

Default Reciever (Carver HR-895) intermittantly turning itself off. Can I fix?

I have a 10 year old Carver Reciever (Carver HR-895 Dolby pro logic)
that will be playing and whill just stop playing. when it does, power
to the diplay goes out too (where if i was to turn the unit off via
the power switch the display would show the current time). Everything
goes dead, if I press the power switch, nothing (it also is very
smooth - no relay clicking). Guess that means theres no power
anywhere. After a miniute or two... or five, it automatically plays
again, reverting to the last operational condidtion or mode (whatever
was playing playes again).

When I put it in the basement where it is colder (aprrox. 60 deg. F)
it will not go off, continues to run 24/7.

I have been very happy with this unit, and want to repair it. The
old Carver company is out of business, and they barely support the
products, they can send me a service manual, and told me of a person
in Oregon (i am on the east coast) they use for repairs (no official
affiliation).

Does this symptom sound to anyone like a fundemental or common
problem with an older piece of stereo equipmement? Capacitors? Would
the service manual be of any help to a novice in changing out whatever
may be going?

I can solder copper pipe (lol) and have done some car stereo installs.
I am wondering if this is something that i should try and repair
myself, or if i should have it done professionally (don't even know
where i might get parts though). Or if anyone knows of a good repair
shop in the Washington DC area, I would apprieciate knowing of it.

Thanks in advance. Jess
Mark D. Zacharias

These models are very similar inside to the Marantz SR-82 and SR-92.

There's often bad solder connections at some power resistors in the power
supply area.

Mark Z.

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tim Schwartz

Jess,

I agree with Mark Z. about power supply issues, but I've found that it
is more common to have bad soldering in the front channel power amps.
Take the bottom cover off and look for the overheated areas, the board
will have darkened in color and the soldering will look grainy and/or
crystallized. Any decent repair shop should be able to take care of
this. I've sometimes found some of the small transistors in the power
amps (maybe 2SC2705 and 2SA1105?) need to be replaced.

As far as I know, the HR-895 is a version of the Marantz SR-92. If you
repost more specifically where you are located (State and county) some
technician who knows the unit might reply to you.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics