markC

Default "finalizing" for voiceover...Gear/software opinion??

Hi, upgrading my voiceover signal chain to optimize final
audio for maximum punch-presence-power of voicetracks
to sit well in mixes and compete well with other good national dubs
that translate well on-air...and maintain an "open" clean and "strong"
quality in TV broadcast-processing chains.

Existing setup is (a) a solid voice (b) Neumann 103 or
Senn.416Great River Pre into an Aphex Expressor+
Dominator combo. (I also have bypassed this combo
in certain situations in favor of an RNC compressor in
the Super Nice mode...mod-fast att./slo-release - by itself).

I'm going into a Delta 1010 A/D card to Bias Peak for
final-editing, "normalizing" there and converting finished
audio to either .wav/aif or mp3 for dub distribution - mostly
via isdn, web-delivery or otherwise CD dubs for Post elsewhere.

The Dominator is interesting but a bit daunting to set right...
I feel the need for some form of "Finalizer" along the lines
of the Waves Ultramaximizer or other alternative hardware/
software that would achieve the same effect. If it also serves
well as a good transparent brickwall limiter to avoid digital overs,
that's even nicer. The L2 looks interesting in that respect.

Monitoring some of our material on-air reveals it needs more
presence, plus level optimization seems lacking against adjacent
spots.

I'd appreciate opinions on a logical processing move
given what I've got now, as well as opinions on other processors,
as well as the L2 - we might consider for this application.

Thanks!!

Mark C
Mike Caffrey

The dea of "finalizing" somehitng sounds like it must be the right thing
to do. If I were you, I'd buy a Distressor and spend a lot of time really
learning to use it. There's only a few knobs and switches, but there's a
huge depth to what it can do. If money is no problem get two, or get one
plus an LA-2A and chain them with one limiting first and the other
compressing second. The sound of really great compression is what you're
wanting to hear.

In article ,
(markC) wrote:

[...]

www.monsterisland.com
Raymond

In article ,
(markC) wrote:

[...]

All this is good, but do you have the first most important things needed for a
first class "pro" recording? (there are some hi-end names being stated above as
well)

Talentroom(construction)mic(correct mic for what your recording)correct mic
placment.

If you have all that in place then some very good dynamics units would be the
right move but if your working in someones bedroom with unpreped wall etc. then
start working on the room(s) your using.
area242

"markC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You won't be dissapointed with the L2. It's actually quite awesome in my
humble opinion.