RD Jones

Default "How to run your own recording studio" USA Today

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Ben Bayliss

RD Jones wrote:
USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

- "You could earn cool points by choosing the angular Behringer B-1,
about $100"

eek! That has to be amongst some of the most ill-informed statements ever

LuKeNuKuM

(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

do you work for Gannett RD?

i do too, but the UK side of the water...

a somewhat simplified article. whats that about 'kitchen table'?!
surely even at home, thats just uncomfy!

cheers

Luke

Nate Najar

That's ridiculous-

spend $30-$60 on monitors, get an sm58 and an interface and now you're
a recording studio. That's the dumbest most ill informed article I
think I've ever seen.

Nate

Joe Kesselman

Instant Expert syndrome, endemic to the publishing industry. If you want
to cure it, write to the editors -- and tell 'em that publishing drivel
will get you to stop reading and/or stop supporting their advertisers,
since that's all they care about in the end.

USA Today is fishwrap anyway, so I'm mostly surprised that anyone is
surprised.

steve

RD Jones wrote:

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Is this news or advertisement copy?

"For about $3,500, including the price of a new computer, you could
be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities
Martin never dreamed of."

With the obvious exception that Sir George had four incredibly talented
individuals to work with.
Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
Nate Najar wrote:
That's ridiculous-

spend $30-$60 on monitors, get an sm58 and an interface and now you're
a recording studio. That's the dumbest most ill informed article I
think I've ever seen.

It explains some of the stuff I have been hearing recently, though.
Anahata

steve wrote:
you could
be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities
Martin never dreamed of."

With the obvious exception that Sir George had four incredibly talented
individuals to work with.

Not to mention (even in the 60s) better acoustics than his kitchen...
Lars

Amazing.

"The 1/8-inch mike jack on a computer isn't designed to push rich
audio data onto a hard drive."

"RD Jones" wrote in message roups.com...
USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Dan

On 6/8/2005 7:30 AM, steve wrote:

RD Jones wrote:

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Is this news or advertisement copy?

"For about $3,500, including the price of a new computer, you could
be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities
Martin never dreamed of."

With the obvious exception that Sir George had four incredibly talented
individuals to work with.

And Sir George is incredibly talented in his own right.

Richard Crowley

"Nate Najar" wrote ...
That's ridiculous-

spend $30-$60 on monitors, get an sm58 and an interface and
now you're a recording studio. That's the dumbest most ill
informed article I think I've ever seen.

But of course, these geniuses are experts at all the OTHER things
they write about. Aren't they? Think about that next time you start
believeing anything you see/hear in the mainstream media.
Dan

On 6/8/2005 1:33 AM, RD Jones wrote:
USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

No mention of having a noisy PC appear in the back ground of recordings.
John O

But of course, these geniuses are experts at all the OTHER things
they write about. Aren't they? Think about that next time you start
believeing anything you see/hear in the mainstream media.

Or on USENET. :-)

duck and run

-John O

Richard Crowley

"John O" wrote ...
But of course, these geniuses are experts at all the OTHER things
they write about. Aren't they? Think about that next time you start
believeing anything you see/hear in the mainstream media.

Or on USENET. :-)

duck and run

You just provided a perfect counter-example to your own argument!

On Usenet (and the internet in general), you get near-instantaneous
rebuttal to any even remotely questionable statement (and frequently
to correct statements as well) Ever seen a retraction in print that
wasn't burried at the bottom of page H17, two weeks later? (If it
appears at all.)
steve

Anahata wrote:

steve wrote:
you could
be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities
Martin never dreamed of."

With the obvious exception that Sir George had four incredibly talented
individuals to work with.

Not to mention (even in the 60s) better acoustics than his kitchen...

He could have recorded them in a porta-jon with a Dictaphone and still
have better than 99.9% of what I hear from home studios. Technology is
not a substitute for talent.

Glenn Dowdy

"RD Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

USA Today is America's Favorite High School Newspaper.

Glenn D.

Ty Ford

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:33:21 -0400, RD Jones wrote
(in article .com):

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...how-to-record-
sat_x.htm

My response to Today...and please feel free to make your own.

Byron Acohido's story "How to run your own recording studio"
is outrageously puerile and shows an amazing lack of understanding of a very
intricate process. Professionally, it is the equivalent of suggesting that
since new sharp knives are available at Williams Sonoma, that we may all
perform at-home surgery.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Eric K. Weber

Best have your sound card modified to the professional 1/4 inch mike jack,
for fully professional results....

The local state university music department is not much better.... it's a
crime what they do for their students senior recitals.

Rgds:
Eric

"Lars" wrote in message
om...
Amazing.

"The 1/8-inch mike jack on a computer isn't designed to push rich
audio data onto a hard drive."

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Fletch

RD Jones wrote:
USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Meps! Meps! Meeeeeeps!!!

--fletch
Joe Sanborn

I just bought Microsoft Word for $49, I have a computer to install it on
and I even have a kitchen table... I"M A WRITER. Now I can write stories
for newspapers, just like the one in USA Today. I don't need years of
experience or even a basic understanding of what I am attempting to do...

"Fletch" wrote in message

RD Jones wrote:
USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

rd
(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

Meps! Meps! Meeeeeeps!!!

--fletch

transmogrifa

I'm all for the recording revolution so I don't want to discourage
anyone but that article sounds to me like it was written by employees
of the gear he mentions. Comes off pretty much as a advertisement for a
few pieces of gear.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

RD Jones

LuKeNuKuM wrote:

(not one bit proud of my affilliation with this publication)

do you work for Gannett RD?

Yes, my 'day job' is working nights for USA Today
at the Nashville regional printsite.
(part of the local Gannett owned newspaper)
No, I'm not a writer.

i do too, but the UK side of the water...

Sorry to hear that ;-\

a somewhat simplified article. whats that about 'kitchen table'?!
surely even at home, thats just uncomfy!

No mention of _ANY_ acoustic treatment,
and he's sitting in front of full length
plate glass windows.
No mention of Linux as an operating system.
(bwaahaha)
ProTools is listed as a choice of software
but the article seems to imply that you might
have a choice of hardware (true only if the
choices are DigiDesign or Maudio)

rd

Agent 86

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:33:21 -0700, RD Jones wrote:

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ord-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

Yes, but who the hell is Elliott Steiner?

Jay Kadis

Agent 86 wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:33:21 -0700, RD Jones wrote:

USA Today June 8, 2005 page 3B (Money section)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-how-to-record
-usat_x.htm

No wonder the music biz is in the toilet.

Yes, but who the hell is Elliott Steiner?

The LE plug-in version of Elliot Scheiner.

-Jay
Ty Ford

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:30:24 -0400, transmogrifa wrote
(in article . com):

I'm all for the recording revolution so I don't want to discourage
anyone but that article sounds to me like it was written by employees
of the gear he mentions. Comes off pretty much as a advertisement for a
few pieces of gear.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

A very good comment. It did sound very much like an infomercial. Is it just
me or does a LOT of mass media sound that way today?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Sure, it possible to make a record this way. BFD. Try making a GOOD
record - there's the challenge.

LuKeNuKuM

do you work for Gannett RD?

Yes, my 'day job' is working nights for USA Today
at the Nashville regional printsite.
(part of the local Gannett owned newspaper)
No, I'm not a writer.

haha, me neither I.T./net support. interesting that the morale (and
output quality) is just as high over there :-D

cheers,

LuKe