Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Guy Audio Guy is offline

Default Utility for converting m4a into mp3 files?

I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an m4a,
without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs from shady
web sites?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Mar 7, 10:18*am, Audio Guy wrote:
I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an m4a,
without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs from shady
web sites?

4Media MP4 Converter for the Mac. The iTunes songs are copy protected.
This basically re-records them to your hard drive which you could do
on your own. Just choose burn CD and then re-import them in any format
you want. 4Media MP4 Converter just puts a nice user interface on the
task. iTunes only lets you do this 7 times with their protected files.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

wrote in message
On Mar 7, 10:18 am, Audio Guy wrote:
I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an m4a,
without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs from shady
web sites?

4Media MP4 Converter for the Mac. The iTunes songs are copy protected.
This basically re-records them to your hard drive which you could do
on your own. Just choose burn CD and then re-import them in any format
you want. 4Media MP4 Converter just puts a nice user interface on the
task. iTunes only lets you do this 7 times with their protected files.

Or just play them and record the ouput via loopback. Works nicely with a
digital loopback.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Sean Conolly wrote:

I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file
format.

4Media MP4 Converter for the Mac. The iTunes songs are copy
protected.

I downloaded a music torrent and turns out the tracks are m4a's.

I downloaded something called dBpoweramp music converter application
(made by illustrate). Was able to convert them to .wav's (and mp3).

Had no problem converting them, or playing them.

Question: Media Player Classic and VLC player don't seem to know what
to do with them (the m4a files). Am I missing a codec or something?

m4a is supposed to be the same as mp4 (I think) which mpc and vlc are
supposed to know how to play...
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Nil Nil is offline

On 07 Mar 2009, Audio Guy wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file
format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an
m4a, without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs
from shady web sites?

M4A is Apple's format. It could be either lossy or lossless, and it
could be copy protected or not.

Many programs will play the lossy format. Some of those won't play the
lossless versions. Of the media players I have...

iTunes will play both and convert both to mp3.

VLC will play and convert both.

Foobar2000 (with an extra Apple Lossless plugin) will play and convert
both.

Winamp will play the lossy, but not the lossless.

Windows Media Player will play the lossy, but not the lossless.

I'm talking about non-copy-protected here. If you want to copy copy-
protected files, you probably have to jump through a bunch of hoops.
Some people burn them to audio CD with iTunes and then extract them to
MP3.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
1D1OT 1D1OT is offline

"Audio Guy" wrote in message
I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an m4a,
without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs from shady
web sites?

I've been using this one for over a year:

Free Mp3 Wma Converter can Convert all your Mp3, Wma, Ogg, Aac, M4a, Ac3,
Ape, Flac, Wav files:

http://koyotstar.free.fr/indexEn.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
alex alex is offline

Audio Guy ha scritto:
I guess m4a files are some sort of mac or itoons audio file format.

Is there any simple utility that can generate an mp3 file from an m4a,
without downloading 1/2 dozen different nero apps or codecs from shady
web sites?

this.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

easy, free, complete and always up-to-date.
as far i know, can convert between all av format out there.

ale

11 converting files Dewitt Pro Audio 0 March 27th 06 12:33 PM
Converting audio Files SplitSoftware General 1 March 22nd 06 03:46 PM
Converting audio Files SplitSoftware Pro Audio 1 March 22nd 06 03:46 PM
Mac utility to convert RealAudio files to WAV/SDII/AIFF? jt Pro Audio 3 February 22nd 04 03:19 AM