Jon

Default Lafayette Amps

Hi folks,

I've been interested in buying a tube amplifier and saw a really clean
Lafayette stereo amp at my local Goodwill. Unfortunately, this is not one of
those '10 dollar' deals, but can anyone offer any comments on these amps. (I
think it's a 250...only looked at it for a few minutes.)

Is it worth restoring? Heck, is it even worth even buying? It powered up,
has all the tubes and is cosmeticaly very good looking. They are asking
$100.00.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
John

For $10 I'd say sure. For $100 "likely as not no". For someone who
knows , and for some reason loves nevertheless, these things and has
the moxie and patience, maybe. For a newbie.....NO.

Most I have seen are small seven or nine pin mini output types. But if
it were a larger amp, then it's worth $100 for parts if you need the
parts.

If 250 means 2 channels 50 watts, it could be.

Sander deWaal

"Jon" said:

Hi folks,

I've been interested in buying a tube amplifier and saw a really clean
Lafayette stereo amp at my local Goodwill. Unfortunately, this is not one of
those '10 dollar' deals, but can anyone offer any comments on these amps. (I
think it's a 250...only looked at it for a few minutes.)

Is it worth restoring? Heck, is it even worth even buying? It powered up,
has all the tubes and is cosmeticaly very good looking. They are asking
$100.00.

There are several Lafayette types out there, at least here in Europe.
LA-244B: 2 x EL84/ch, ECC83 PI, drivers and phono. GZ34/5AR4
rectifier.
Also known as "Wembley 2-12" and "Bocama".
The iron is surprisingly good with 6V6 and ECL86 in PP.
They usually sell for around 100 euros here.

LA-214B: SE EL84/ch.
Resale value about 50 euro.

I have schematics for both if you're interested.

AFAIK, the LA-250 is a solid state amplifier.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Paul Babiak

Sander deWaal wrote:

AFAIK, the LA-250 is a solid state amplifier.

The LA250 is 2x EL86 and 1x 7199 per channel, 3x 12AX7 in the preamp.
I have one, it's quite nice sounding.
There is a Sam's Photofacts available for it, set 501, folder #8.

HTH, Paul.

--
return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com
Rich Sherman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
"Jon" wrote in message

Follow this link.... maybe you can save money on Ebay.

Rich