truegridtz

Default 1603 in audio

Is the 1603 used in consumer audio circuits?

If so, is it preferred over the 6C6?

This is an 6-pin tube, so amps this old may not be in the high fidelity
category. The 2A3 is a 4-pin so possibly some high-grade gear uses the
1603.

It is a low hum, non microphonic 6C6 and was used extensively in broadcast
circuits.

AES has/had some on sale for $4.20 in their tube sale. Probably all gone by
now. They are very pretty National Unions. I picked them up simply because
of the price.

The book Tube Lore states that they are "not listed for distributor sales
after 1937"

Mark

John Stewart

truegridtz wrote:

Is the 1603 used in consumer audio circuits?

If so, is it preferred over the 6C6?

This is an 6-pin tube, so amps this old may not be in the high fidelity
category. The 2A3 is a 4-pin so possibly some high-grade gear uses the
1603.

It is a low hum, non microphonic 6C6 and was used extensively in broadcast
circuits.

AES has/had some on sale for $4.20 in their tube sale. Probably all gone by
now. They are very pretty National Unions. I picked them up simply because
of the price.

The book Tube Lore states that they are "not listed for distributor sales
after 1937"

Mark

See data sheet at
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/1/1603.pdf

JLS

truegridtz

"John Stewart" wrote in message
truegridtz wrote:

[...]

I have the datasheet already. What am I supposed to conclude? Mark

John Stewart

truegridtz wrote:

[...]

But others may not. With the added information available, perhaps others will
comment.

What am I supposed to conclude?

Lets listen to what others will say. I agree there was certainly a need for
non-microphonic tubes in those days. Some I've used from that era would make
quite a good microphone.

Mark

With later technology improvements, the 1603 was probably successfully
superseded by the 6SJ7 family & others. But that doesn't stop someone from using
the 1603 in whatever project comes to mind.

JLS

truegridtz

truegridtz wrote:

[...]

No problem with that

I agree there was certainly a need for
non-microphonic tubes in those days. Some I've used from that era would

make
quite a good microphone.

Possibly broadcast equipment, probably big boards full of pots and tubes,
had to have these 1603s or else the microphonics and hum would add up to a
noisy broadcast.

AES may have sold these off because in audio the $4.80 6C6 does just as
well.

May make a damned good guitar amp.