LazerGumm

Default Sound for films

Hello...

It seems that that most people on this group are more interested in
audio for music rather than media/films, but I may be mistaken. Either
way, you all are a knowledgeable bunch so I'll throw out my question
and solicit any and all opinions.

I'm extremely interested in pursuing a career in film sound.
Specifically, in post-production sound where various effects and sonic
textures are created to help augment the visuals. My dream job would
be to work he http://www.skysound.com

There's something very exciting about creating audio that doesn't
actually exist in real life. For example, the sound of a
trans-dimensional particle gun being fired in the back alleys of a
moonbase.

Obviously, a team of people are working somewhere to bring these
sounds into existence and it is my life goal to be a part of that
team.

What exactly is the path to accomplishing this? I've recently
graduated from a great university (where I studied media arts) and
have been reading up on the audio industry. I realize:

-I shouldn't expect to pass out my resume to a few places and get
immediate callbacks for a position doing sound design

-Who you know is just as important (if not more important) than what
you know

-Having a degree from X university, X art school, X audio recording
school, Full Sail, etc...doesn't mean you're special and ahead of the
pack.

-Thinking you're 'too good' for an internship where you get coffee
before you're allowed to do anything cool is a no-no

-Don't have a sense of entitlement about which jobs you should be
getting

-It can (and probably will) take YEARS to get even remotely close to
the goal line

-hard work, good social skills, team effort, willingness to learn, and
humility goes much further than telling everyone what you know

In short, I'm willing to do whatever it takes and ego isn't a problem.

I do know a fair amount about recording music, but my involvement in
that doesn't really go beyond a hobby. I'm honestly not that
interested in learning music theory and how to mic studio equipment.
However, I would definately learn those things if it will help me to
become a sound designer for films.

If you all have any insight or answers, I'd be grateful to hear your
thoughts.

Thank you.